Link: Coach Smart to UGA

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Just watched the Coach Saban Presser where he addressed his opinions on his assistants success. That is the most melancholy, subdued and vulnerable that I have ever seen from coach. The only plus was that it created a more introspective, helpful to the media environment, and he gave some opinions that he normally would fight off. He sounds like a coach about to lose his staff while desperately trying to win an NC to right the past few years. He is judged by National Championships not SEC unfortunately, and winning this year would create a new 3 year buffer from the crows, and he mentioned that indirectly. He nailed it after a question about the domino effect, what happens when I lose 3 games? A NC this year makes that not a big deal for a couple of years, which is what it is now, the past 2 to 3 years.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
First, congratulations to Coach Smart. He's "earned his stripes" and is being rewarded for the outstanding job he's done under Coach Saban. I wish him the best at UGA, and beyond.

Second, we'll be fine. Coach Smart has instilled the will to win in our team and I believe it will continue to serve us well in the remainder of this season. Lastly, Coach Saban has enough contacts throughout the football world that he can hire the right coaches to take the place of those who are moving on.. RTR

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
You gotta think CNS, nor CKS is happy about this dropping tonight. There's a lot of our players that seem shocked and unhappy about hearing this.
You also have to think that UGA leaked this to shore up wide cracks in their recruiting class, including their saviour quarterback.

In the meantime, Kirby Smart has more than earned our faith that he will do the right thing here.

Playoff football complicates that. If he leaves after Saturday, so be it, because he almost certainly will have done it with the full blessings of his mentor, friend and current boss.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Kirby Smart has been incredibly loyal. He deserves this opportunity. I wish, somehow, it would have come at a better time, but this is how it goes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I fully expect that he will coach you through the playoffs. Herman did it last year, so there is precedent even with this system. I was worried that he would be distracted, but it actually became a bit of a rallying cry since he was so loved by the team.

Smart and any other coaches that leave will be replaced and Alabama will march on. You are still Alabama, and your head coach is still the best in the business.

Roll Tide!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You also have to think that UGA leaked this to shore up wide cracks in their recruiting class, including their saviour quarterback.

In the meantime, Kirby Smart has more than earned our faith that he will do the right thing here.

Playoff football complicates that. If he leaves after Saturday, so be it, because he almost certainly will have done it with the full blessings of his mentor, friend and current boss.
agreed. uga has been desperate to get some coverage of something beside how lame they have become.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I fully expect that he will coach you through the playoffs. Herman did it last year, so there is precedent even with this system.
I think that the top tier jobs tend to be more demanding. A smaller program isn't as involved in top recruits, they have more to gain from someone getting a ring to put on their finger. I just don't see a job like Georgia waiting around for a guy to finish coaching through the playoffs. I think if Smart is the guy, he'll coach the SECCG and then move on. And... I can't blame him.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Thanks to Kirby for his outstanding service to Alabama. I wish him good health and success in his personnel life. As much as I dislike Georgia, I will only wish him well in Athens. I hope they finish behind Florida (or further down) in the east every year. As far as timing, Georgia wants him asap for recruiting. I understand that, and we will be OK in the playoffs. We have many capable assistant coaches and also the main man knows what to do. Next year we will be rebuilding and we can do it with a new OC and DC.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
You don't ignore when mama calls. You come running home.

Tough to lose him but he earned this and gave us nearly a decade's worth of great work.

This in spades. While unfortunate for us in many ways, all this shifting is inevitable. Coach Saban, through his organization and success, has created the most prominent coaching "tree" in the current game and maybe in the history of college football. Only time will tell that. Just goes with the territory and being recognized as the best at what you do.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks to Coach Smart and Coach Cochrane (if he decides to go) for their loyalty, hard work and success at the University of Alabama. I wish them very well.

For the eeyores among us: This is at least year three that there has been serious speculation about Coach Smart taking a head coaching job somewhere. Do you really think that Coach Saban- the best in the business and the most detail-oriented coach in football- doesn't have a succession plan in place for this very eventuality?

Trust the process my friends.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the top tier jobs tend to be more demanding. A smaller program isn't as involved in top recruits, they have more to gain from someone getting a ring to put on their finger. I just don't see a job like Georgia waiting around for a guy to finish coaching through the playoffs. I think if Smart is the guy, he'll coach the SECCG and then move on. And... I can't blame him.
If Smart is their guy, and by all accounts he is, they will wait for him. Having him signed would be the critical part. They would not want to wait and hope until the middle of January. But if he can sign now but wait to start, and he is their guy, they will wait.

They just wasted 15 years with the wrong guy. You wait for the right guy. Think Alabama/Saban.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Don't necessarily mind staff turnover. However, an entire staff leaving, especially before a championship playoff series, is the absolute worst possible timing. It borders on sabotaging the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
agreed. uga has been desperate to get some coverage of something beside how lame they have become.
I think it's funny how it went from UGA would have to wait until after the SECCG to interview Smart to Smart has the job.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think it's funny how it went from UGA would have to wait until after the SECCG to interview Smart to Smart has the job.
I do not believe that he has interviewed. If he has, Saban lied, and I think that Saban has learned not to lie in front of cameras.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a deal on the table - agents.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I do not believe that he has interviewed. If he has, Saban lied, and I think that Saban has learned not to lie in front of cameras.

But that doesn't mean that there isn't a deal on the table - agents.
Well, yeah there are two things to that. One is that Saban could be mislead. It's possible, but not likely with Kirby Smart (I can't remember if they have to ask permission to interview, but I'm sure there are ways around that). The other is that Georgia is so comfortable and they know Smart so well that they simply might have skipped the interview process entirely. Alabama made the mistake once of interviewing instead of outright hiring Bobby Bowden, Georgia could have been wiser in that regard.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
If Smart is their guy, and by all accounts he is, they will wait for him. Having him signed would be the critical part. They would not want to wait and hope until the middle of January. But if he can sign now but wait to start, and he is their guy, they will wait.

They just wasted 15 years with the wrong guy. You wait for the right guy. Think Alabama/Saban.
You may be right, but as I said before, taking a job like Houston is not like UGA. Recruiting in the SEC is such a cut throat thing, Kirby would be putting himself behind the 8 ball out if the gate if he doesn't get a staff in place as soon as he can and start having them build relationships with their class.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I will be very surprised if Kirby coaches Bama through the playoffs. Do you think OSU would wait or that UM would really want him around, if OSU were to hire a new head coach from Michigan? I just don't see it because of the strong conflict of interest, especially with respect to recruiting. I also don't see a new head coach giving up a month of recruiting for his new school.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.