Who replaces Scott Cochran (nobody - he's staying)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Who replaces Scott Cochran

I don't know who their strength coach was when Alabama played them in the Music Bowl years ago, but I remember watching their players walk onto the field and thinking, "These guys look better than our guys." Then they beat us into oblivion that night.
Gentry has been there for more that 20 years.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I just posted this on the recruiting board when talking about the same thing. UGA hired Mark Hocke in December as their S&C coach and he was a Bama/Cochran protégé.

michaelballew

Dec 2, 2015

I'd like to see us keep CSC. I like his enthusiasm on the sidelines and obviously his leadership in the weight room has shown to be of great value.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I don't know who their strength coach was when Alabama played them in the Music Bowl years ago, but I remember watching their players walk onto the field and thinking, "These guys look better than our guys." Then they beat us into oblivion that night.
I was there...Dubose the coach (couldn't find a practice field the day before the game in Nashville I understand). It was freezing cold and we got hammered. I think it was the beginning of VT success in fact.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I was there...Dubose the coach (couldn't find a practice field the day before the game in Nashville I understand). It was freezing cold and we got hammered. I think it was the beginning of VT success in fact.
I believe you are correct in that it launched them onto a national stage even though they beat one of the worst Bama teams ever fielded.

I was there too, and I remember Bama fans, myself included, mocking VT before the game asking, "What's a Hokie?" We found out that night that a turkey can be pretty mean.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Ooh, that's interesting.
That's been out a while. My question has been that, if Hocke is doing the job, why put Cochran in on top of him, providing he's willing to walk away from his TRSA pension. There's a possibility that he could "buy" his last year in the pension system here. Their rules are arcane and I don't pretend to know them all...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

No, VaTech was already successful. They started having winning records and going to bowl games in the early-to-mid 90's.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That's been out a while. My question has been that, if Hocke is doing the job, why put Cochran in on top of him, providing he's willing to walk away from his TRSA pension. There's a possibility that he could "buy" his last year in the pension system here. Their rules are arcane and I don't pretend to know them all...
No direct knowledge, but if friendship is in play it could really be that simple. Smart brings in a very qualified friend to run the S&C program, even with it already in great hands. Cut Hocke loose or give him the choice of staying under Cochran.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

No, VaTech was already successful. They started having winning records and going to bowl games in the early-to-mid 90's.
oh, not saying they were unsuccessful just that they were a relatively unknown commodity in these parts at the time. I was expecting a mauling and that is exactly what happened except we were the ones getting chewed up. It was just like Moon said - all the VT players looked like studs...better than us. I was like, "who are these guys?" Anyway, we got killed in the freezing rain and snow...miserable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

No direct knowledge, but if friendship is in play it could really be that simple. Smart brings in a very qualified friend to run the S&C program, even with it already in great hands. Cut Hocke loose or give him the choice of staying under Cochran.
Maybe it could be that simple, maybe not. Hocke had been the real main man doing the "heavy lifting" (pardon the pun) in our S&C program, with Cochran being "director" for while anyway...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Last night crimsonaudio or runtheoption mentioned Hoke "IF" there is a change in the S&C department. I hope we show Cochran the love and hope that extra year to get vested pays off for us. By any means necessary!:biggrin::BigA:

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

He can "buy" time in to the system if he has time in another state system (which he probably does) or military time. However, I "think" bought time only applies towards your eligibility for retirement and not your vested date. I could be wrong though.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

That's just it. No one, except only the truly most die hard college football fanatics, knows who the strength coaches are.

Cochran was made the exception to that rule by Alabama's PR department.
^^^^This. I don't even know who he replaced when he came here.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

^^^^This. I don't even know who he replaced when he came here.
Terry Jones Sr?

No, just googled and it was Rocky Colburn. Colburn replaced Kent Johnston who replaced Ben Pollard. TJ Sr. was the S&C under DuBose.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Cecil Hurt on the radio says Cochran makes $400,000 per year. If Georgia offers him $500,000, Bama might well bump the pay to $600,000. Sounds good to me.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006

He can "buy" time in to the system if he has time in another state system (which he probably does) or military time. However, I "think" bought time only applies towards your eligibility for retirement and not your vested date. I could be wrong though.
Military time towards retirement, not vestment is my understanding. Had a guy retire early due to Air Force time.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Terry Jones Sr?

No, just googled and it was Rocky Colburn. Colburn replaced Kent Johnston who replaced Ben Pollard. TJ Sr. was the S&C under DuBose.
For some reason I believe TJ Sr and Rocky are still on staff in some capacity or they were....I may be wrong, but it seems like at one time they were S/C for other sports teams at Bama after Coach hired Cochran.

But I would guess if yea yea yea is gone, Dillman would get an internal promotion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.