Question: A Passing Plan: What Do Coker/Kiffin Need To Do To Have Success Passing Against UF?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I posted a link from USA Today (link here) earlier saying Coker isn't a deficiency but an asset to Bama who could very well beat a team if he needed to.

That being said, the Florida secondary is not the Auburn secondary or the even the Texas A&M secondary. They are disciplined and fast. Even their linebackers track to the ball with incredible speed.

So my question for the community is this. What gameplan for Coker and the passing game will work best against this Florida defense?

(EDIT: I understand that the strength of this offense is Derrick Henry and the actual gameplan will probably include letting him loose, but Coker will have to throw the ball at some point.)

Personally, I'm not so sure the horizontal perimeter throws will be as effective due to the speed with which their entire defense moves. I'd apply that same statement to jet sweeps (which we count as a forward pass).

I like the idea of trips formations, tight end motions mixed with the Power-O play action. Keep the defenders eyes in the backfield for just long enough to get Stewart or Ridley into a clean break with separation on their posts or in-routes. That'll hopefully be a good start.

Other game plans?

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
It comes down to the O line making blocks and giving Coker time to allow the play to develop. Just establish the running game to open up the passing game.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I think we need more passing plays to the RB's (especially Drake) and to Howard. We focus too much on our WR's and we only have one consistent receiver.
I saw it mentioned somewhere how few receiving yards Henry has. All I can think of is that screen pass to him last year against Florida that broke open the game. With space to move he is terrifying. They've tried a few combo WR screens from the slot to Drake but I think that's been too fancy. We haven't see much of the old school RB screen out of the backfield. Not even many check downs to Henry on a hot-route. However, screens seem to be a favorite of Mcelwain's so he may have his defense ready for just such a play.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Their DBs are solid, but they play best in zone so you will have someone open on every play. The question is - will Coker have time to find the open man? He will only if you have success in the running game, so the answer really is, run the ball effectively.

Florida is going to be hard to beat if you can't run the ball against their basic alignment. You have to run the ball effectively enough that they have to bring in support and that their perimeter rush is slowed because of their respect for your running game.

Florida is going to try exactly what Alabama is going to try - to stop the running game in a standard alignment. I am almost positive that Alabama will have success defensively. Will Florida?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coker is a bit slow with his reads and late on throws...I'd love for us to be able to establish the run and avoid the matchup altogether. Likely he will need to make some passes though.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Their DBs are solid, but they play best in zone so you will have someone open on every play. The question is - will Coker have time to find the open man? He will only if you have success in the running game, so the answer really is, run the ball effectively.

Florida is going to be hard to beat if you can't run the ball against their basic alignment. You have to run the ball effectively enough that they have to bring in support and that their perimeter rush is slowed because of their respect for your running game.

Florida is going to try exactly what Alabama is going to try - to stop the running game in a standard alignment. I am almost positive that Alabama will have success defensively. Will Florida?
Remind me what Florida's base defense is? 3-4 over/under like ours?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Running the ball opens things up obviously. But if I was in Kiffin's shoes, I'd try to find alignments that created mismatches. Get Drake (if he plays) or Howard lined up on a LB and let them make plays. B1G also mentioned UF plays lots of zone, so I'd probably work on slants and timing routes to find holes in the coverage.

I might also roll Coker out a bit more. Give him the run/pass option.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Turn around and hand it off
Still haven't figured out why we don't go heavy by bring Brandon Greene, OJ, and Hale in along with one WR and just pound the ball. We can go no huddle without going fast to prevent any substituting. Then, split the TEs out wide or run a play-action.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Still haven't figured out why we don't go heavy by bring Brandon Greene, OJ, and Hale in along with one WR and just pound the ball. We can go no huddle without going fast to prevent any substituting. Then, split the TEs out wide or run a play-action.
Talk about wearing folks out. I imagine the weight discrepancy between the 2 if fairly large. Compound that and it'd be nasty.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Neither of them can block. Hale has shown a lot of promise though. OJ & Brandon good effort but it just isn't there

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
If/when we get past Florida, I expect the playbook to open up just a little bit more in the playoffs. Something to look out for is the screen game. Teams have been selling out on third downs against us at times, if we can get a screen pass called at just the right time, DH may take it to the house.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Remind me what Florida's base defense is? 3-4 over/under like ours?

They are running a 4-3, but it looks a lot like Alabama's defense because you generally put a 4th man on the LOS. The main difference is that they don't have a huge run stopping NG plugging up the middle. All 4 of their starting DL are good, but they are also banged up.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
They are running a 4-3, but it looks a lot like Alabama's defense because you generally put a 4th man on the LOS. The main difference is that they don't have a huge run stopping NG plugging up the middle. All 4 of their starting DL are good, but they are also banged up.
That'll lend itself to the gap run scheme's we've been gouging people with all season. Which brings the backers further into the box which should give the middle of the field a soft belly in that cover 2 look. I think Ridley and Stewart cutting sharp over the middle could be nasty. Actually even Mullaney over the middle. That guy has hands like glue and isn't afraid to take a lick.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.