Curious rumor: Cleveland Browns preparing to go after Ohio State's Urban Meyer

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It would not surprise me at all. Meyer seems to be a program builder who can turn things around quickly, but he completely lost control at Florida at the end, and his Buckeyes are already starting to run their traps and show the tell-tale signs of a win at all costs and do whatever you want mentality. He can bolt, leave behind problems he may ( or may not) have created, make a crap ton of cash, and always get another chance to have some university throw tons of cash at him to build another program. Imagine how much Texas would be willing to pay him in another two or three years. Those folks who figure out how to make a ton of money seem to fall from one cash grab to another. It's funny.

Wait, Urban Meyer is going to Texas?

(Internet rumor mill cranking up...)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So,
If Urban goes to Cleveland, say, maybe for four or 5
years. He does ok but not great, so decides to return to CFB the same year Nick decides to call it quits . Would you want Urban in TTown?
I suppose I have to be in the minority and say that I probably would. It would depend on who was available at the time though. I still think he's the second best coach in college football. The only other coach that might have been better during the FBS era would be Pete Carroll.

Having said that, I have my concerns. But, I don't think he's quite reached Jimbo proportions in terms of condoning abuse of women, so I don't think he's crossed the point of no return. He does have a discipline problem and some character flaws, but he's a great coach, no question about that.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think there was a time when a lot of people said they would have never wanted to see Lane Kiffin on the Bama staff, but since coming here we've been pretty supportive.

Face it, if this scenario were to come to pass and Meyer brought more hardware to Tuscalooosa, we'd be happy to build another statue.
There are some who still do not support that decision, but we (I) have learned to keep quiet to avoid trouble. Winning doesn't matter to me unless you win the right way. Yes, it is more difficult to win the right way, but that makes it even sweeter. I am not a win at all costs, sell my soul to the devil to win type of person. It seems more and more people are, though, so it will be very difficult to replace Saban, so I hope he stays another 10 years. :)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
With that franchise's history, should Urban take that job he best be prepared to be spending a ton of time in the Department of Cardiology at the Cleveland Clinic....
No joke. No way he could handle that stress. If he can't manage the schedule they had this year...the Browns! The BROWNS! WE talking about the BROWNS!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Followed B1G's link to the Ohio State board...thought these remarks about this were pretty funny:

No because Saban would then come to OSU and ruin Zeke by giving him too many carries.
If the Browns actually wanted to help the state of Ohio out, they'd try to hire Saban.
I think the Browns would help us more by getting Saban out of the college ranks all together. It would make life so much easier for everyone else in college football.
We talk about Urban a good bit on this board, but it looks like they do the same with Saban.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Followed B1G's link to the Ohio State board...thought these remarks about this were pretty funny:

We talk about Urban a good bit on this board, but it looks like they do the same with Saban.
I'm pretty sure all other fans on all other boards talk about being tired of Bama and Saban. There will be a huge party from every university except ours when Saban steps down and heads to the lake. There will also be a feeding frenzy among other teams as they all fight to be the next team on the top of the mountain. Hopefully, we make a strong hire and can keep the success going, but it will be tough.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
They'd have to back a Brink's truck up to his house for him to even consider.

Though the rumor is heard was the offer would be in the $6-7 million range, plus player control, plus a stake in ownership.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They'd have to back a Brink's truck up to his house for him to even consider.

Though the rumor is heard was the offer would be in the $6-7 million range, plus player control, plus a stake in ownership.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I don't think that you can be a coach and an owner in the NFL.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Meyer is a lot of things, but he's not a total idiot, which you have to be to take the Cleveland Browns job.
I can't see this going far.
Money and GM/personnel power. Two things that would lure a lot of elite College coaches to the NFL.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.