Question: Heading to Dallas? Help Thread For All Travel Questions

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Ok folks, never been to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (Arlington) and I'm sure others may have a bunch of questions. In my case where is the best place to fly in to, best place to stay, best way to get to the stadium, where do Bama fans congregate, any advice at all much appreciated.
Others may want to know by driving in, etc.
RTR

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
This is my third game there so here's what's up....

Hotel: just open up Google maps and look at the hotels around the airport. They are plentiful, right off the highway, and affordable. I think it's like a 15 minute drive to the stadium.

Game day parking: the parking lots at the stadium are a nightmare. A freaking nightmare. Park across the street to the west (north Collins street) and while it'll cost you $40-60, you will be outta there and back at your hotel in under 45 minutes. Seriously.

Day of: there's a place called "the tailgate tavern" across the street from the Wal-Mart that's right beside the stadium. I don't go there in principal because they do reservations for bar seating and all other seeing there. It's beyond ridiculous. But again on north Collins less than a ten minute walk from the stadium is boomer jacks bar and grill and my new favorite place, Sherlocks baker st pub and grill. Good food, seating out the wazzu, tv's (for the few other games) and solid prices.

If you want places to eat prior for a nice dinner or stuff like that, let me know. Any chance of all these tide fans meeting up somewhere "officially" ?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Ok folks, never been to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (Arlington) and I'm sure others may have a bunch of questions. In my case where is the best place to fly in to..............
There is really only one place to fly into.

OK, technically you could fly into Love Field. No reason to, even if Southwest Airlines is a lot cheaper.

Translation: Lot of hotels, near DFW, and close to Jerruh World. Not so, with Dallas. Besides, you really do not want to drive all the way back, to Dallas, on New Years Eve.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the great advice. Definitely will be flying and wonder if it is best to rent a car or do the nearby hotels offer shuttles to the stadium? Are there any particular hotels that anyone would recommend?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
When I travel for business in the Arlington area, I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Dallas. It about 2 miles from ATT and Rangers stadium. I've taken in several Rangers and Cowboys games when there. There is normally a trolley/shuttle to the games. I assume that they would offer the same for the game that evening.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
How is everyone going about getting tickets? I already have a hotel room booked. Just need two tickets.

lizzielou

Jan 2, 2011
Does anyone know which side of Jerry World will be the Bama side? I want to buy tickets for my sons' Christmas presents but don't want to be in the middle of the MSU fanbase!

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Airport: DFW or Lovefield, really makes no difference. Both are within 30 minute drive of the areas you want to stay.

Hotel: If you can find one, I would suggest along I-20 near the Parks Mall. You will have lots of entertainment and a very quick 10-15 drive to stadium on game day with no traffic on side street.

Parking: Buy a parking pass from the Cotton Bowl website. Only lot 15 is available right now so, you will walk about a 1/3 of a mile. Yes, it will be a little slow leaving after the game but, it is not bad at all. The worst I've ever seen it was after a Kenny Chesney concert it took 15-20 minutes to exit the lot. (Stub hub has parking passes for lot 12 for $40 which is BELOW face value. Lot 12 would be about a block and a half closer than lot 15.)

Lots will open at noon just like they did for Wiscy. If you want to tailgate, get there early.(I'd suggest lining up at 11:30AM) You have to have a perimeter spot that back up to the grass or contain in your parking spot. They do not allow grills, chairs, table outside the parking lines unless you back up to the grass. For the Wisconsin game we arrived at 11:45AM and they made us wait to enter. Once we entered, most cars were "reserving" 3 or 4 spots. As long as you had a cooler, bag, chair etc to put in the spot, you could hold one. All of the tailgate spots were claimed by 12:30PM.

Day of the game: I'm sure National Alumni will have a tailgate at AT&T Stadium. Other options are the bars surrounding, especially Boomerjacks and Sherlock's. They typically have a shuttle to the stadium. If not, it is a 5-10 minute walk.

Tickets: I have seen some reasonably priced ones on Stubhub, $294 middle level endzone, $400 sidelines middle level, $185 upper endzone and standing room party passes are on sale for $75.

Stuff to do:

Besides the game.... JFK Museum/Dealy in downtown Dallas. Perot Museum of Nature and Science in downtown Dallas has cool interactive exhibits for those with children. Also a cool museum for adults. Dallas World Aquarium is also downtown Dallas.

Bars/Night life:

Uptown area of Dallas if you are into the $30K millionaire seen and be seen crowd.... Deep Ellum if you are interested in getting shot (or seeing some interesting folks), Sundance Square Fort Worth if you just want to chill out, walk around and have a drink or ten.....

Restaurants:

Way too many to mention but, if you are looking for something "special" Lawry's the Prime Rib is where the teams eat each year and it is AWESOME!! Capital Grille is also very good. If anyone has a Q on a specific cuisine, let me know, happy to make a suggestion.

**If you know any Cowboys PSL holders, they can buy tickets this week**

Any other Q's, please ask.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I was told through Tide Pride that each school will get 13,000 tickets each. If that is the case most fans can forget about going.
Sounds way off. I had heard from an exec inside AT&T Stadium both schools are getting 30K seats. Maybe UA is using a lot for players/staff/faculty/students/band/cheerleaders/A-Club etc and the rest is going to Tide Pride?????

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Talking with a former Big 12 official last night at church about the game and he wonders if tickets might be slower on the semi-final game with the prospect of Bama going to Glendale less than 2 weeks later.

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
Ok folks, never been to the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (Arlington) and I'm sure others may have a bunch of questions. In my case where is the best place to fly in to, best place to stay, best way to get to the stadium, where do Bama fans congregate, any advice at all much appreciated.
RTR
I think you really need a guide. So if you'll pay for my plane ride, game ticket, and drinks I'll suck it up and help you out ;)

CoreGroup

1st Team
Nov 19, 2013
Dothan, Al
By the way...wasn't there a sports package put together ( I think the year Bama beat up texas qb CM) where you paid a few thousand and it got you a plane ticket, a game ticket, and bus fare to the game and back? I heard it was a special flight dedicated to Alabama fans only.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
RTR

1) Fly into DFW

2) Jerry charges an arm and a leg to park. IF ANY OF YOU have a Six Flags season pass with parking, it IS close enough for you to walk just a bit over there. A tiny bit of a hike but it's free to park - your season pass for 2015 will expire at midnight that night. Lots of folks did this back on 10/11 when the Rangers and Cowboys BOTH had games - the Rangers a playoff game and the Cowboys playing the Patriots.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Roll Tide. com the official University site also says 13,000 per.
I'm surprised that is all the schools are getting. I get my seats from a PSL owner and they were told the reason they can not buy 1:1 is because the schools got 60K tickets. Sounds like the CB committee is holding a lot of tix....

I hate the b/c you'll have a lot of non-BAMA and MSU fans there....Ridiculous AT&T holds 10K more fans but gives 14K fewer seats than Glendale. As many have said, they are turning the CFP playoff into a corporate event where the fans have no chance to attend. I wouldn't be surprised that if in the near future the schools get about 5K tix and they are only for AD use.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Preliminary checking I can get round trip non-stop from Greenville-Spartanburg to Dallas, 2- nights stay at the Hilton Inn along with no limit mileage rental car for less than $1,000. Doesn't include ticket, which is the least of my worries, or parking. So far so good. Still have lot's of questions and really appreciate all the info!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.