UF D the Best We`ve Seen ?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I thought they were pretty stout. I also hope the TV talking heads were correct. They were quick to say that we will not face a D any better, and maybe not quite as good, from any of the other three in the playoff. Thoughts?

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I thought they were pretty stout. I also hope the TV talking heads were correct. They were quick to say that we will not face a D any better, and maybe not quite as good, from any of the other three in the playoff. Thoughts?
I hope they are right, because if we face a team with a defense that good and an offense that is even halfway efficient we may be in for a long day.

Florida's offense reminded me of our's that year we were down to spencer pennington under center.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
With Iowa out, it isn't close. Florida's defense looks to be almost as good as Alabama's on paper, and they played like it on Saturday. They just didn't have the depth to hang with you the entire game. Their starting NG, DT and DEs are excellent and would start on 90% of the teams in America. They have 4 really good LBs, and their secondary is better than yours with 2 NFL ready CBs and 2 NFL ready safeties.

So, yeah, they are better than any that you will face. But MSU is still pretty darned good. Just not Alabama/Florida good. If your o-line has a bad day, you won't score much on them. Just look at what they did to my Buckeyes - 132 total yards.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I don't think we've faced a defense with that kind of closing speed in a long time.

seemed like every time a seam opened up someone was there to shut the gap in a second.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I don't think we've faced a defense with that kind of closing speed in a long time.

seemed like every time a seam opened up someone was there to shut the gap in a second.
Personally, I thought their foot speed and quickness rivaled ours, maybe even a tad better in the secondary. Marry that up with even an adequate offense and it`s no contest in the East, at least.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not to rain on Bazza's parade, but Florida is going to struggle next year, defensively. They lose most of their best players, and they don't have quality depth behind them developed and ready to step in.

Next year looks more and more like Tennessee's year in the East.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Not to rain on Bazza's parade, but Florida is going to struggle next year, defensively. They lose most of their best players, and they don't have quality depth behind them developed and ready to step in.

Sorry to hear that if it turns out that way. I personally find it impossible to dislike Coach Mac and wish UF nothing but the best ( with the obvious exception, of course ). But then again, I like CKS too, so........

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I dunno B1G. That's what they said about us this year - but what they didn't factor in was Coach McElwain's recruiting skills. We got a LOT of late recruits that have stepped up this year...freshmen and sophomores all contributing. We already have several Jr. defensive players saying they are staying. We also have a couple of good QB's being recruited...and hopefully we'll get a kicker! I'm optimistic. :)

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Personally, I thought their foot speed and quickness rivaled ours, maybe even a tad better in the secondary. Marry that up with even an adequate offense and it`s no contest in the East, at least.
I agree on their speed...they look even faster than we are in the secondary.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I dunno B1G. That's what they said about us this year - but what they didn't factor in was Coach McElwain's recruiting skills. We got a LOT of late recruits that have stepped up this year...freshmen and sophomores all contributing. We already have several Jr. defensive players saying they are staying. We also have a couple of good QB's being recruited...and hopefully we'll get a kicker! I'm optimistic. :)
I am pulling for you, but I see at least 6 defensive players who would go in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The verdict is still out on Coach Mac IMO until he shows he can recruit a class of offensive and defensive players at or near the level of top teams.

Arguably, UF has Will Muschamp to thank for that defense this year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
uf d was very fast, disciplined and tackled well in space. there were several times where either henry or one of the wr on the jet sweep had a crease available for a huge gain and it closed down before they could get through it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Here are the national rankings of Alabama's and Florida's D along with the defenses we will (or might) face in the playoffs:

Scoring D:
Bama: 3
UF: 8 (would be 5th without Bama)
MSU: 19
OU: 21
Clemson: 18

Rushing D:
Bama: 1
UF: 17 (would be 4th without Bama)
MSU: 7
OU: 46
Clemson: 23

Passing D:
Bama: 16
UF: 11 (would be 9th without Bama)
MSU: 74
OU: 34
Clemson: 5

Total D:
Bama: 2
UF: 6 (would be 5th without Bama)
MSU: 26
OU: 31
Clemson: 7

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Are you trying to tell me Muschamp left Florida with depth issues??? Hater. :wink:

The Gators' OL says hi.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I thought they were very fundamentaly sound and had great speed but we still made them look better than they are. We didn't try to attack with mid range crosses and slants at all while they stacked the box all day. If we would have loosened them up just a little bit then Henry would have gone over 250 and locked up the Heisman. Instead we ran a ton of Jet Sweeps and long developing Screens Right into the teeth of their speed in the flats. Might have cost Henry the Heisman.

It was just a stupid gameplan honestly and very vanilla. With the field position we had throughout the game we should have scored another 17-21 points. I still can't figure out why we pull Henry out of the game in the Redzone or calling a Jet Sweep on 2nd and Goal from the 3. We made them look better.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I thought they were very fundamentaly sound and had great speed but we still made them look better than they are. We didn't try to attack with mid range crosses and slants at all while they stacked the box all day. If we would have loosened them up just a little bit then Henry would have gone over 250 and locked up the Heisman. Instead we ran a ton of Jet Sweeps and long developing Screens Right into the teeth of their speed in the flats. Might have cost Henry the Heisman.

It was just a stupid gameplan honestly and very vanilla. With the field position we had throughout the game we should have scored another 17-21 points. I still can't figure out why we pull Henry out of the game in the Redzone or calling a Jet Sweep on 2nd and Goal from the 3. We made them look better.
i agree the game plan was vanilla, but i don't think i would automatically equate vanilla with stupid. (just a guess) i think that we realized that they were not going to score much at all on offense against our d and that over the course of the game we could wear them down by holding on to the ball and pounding henry into the line. in the drive before henry's fumble, it was obvious to me that we were going to be able to move the ball consistently between the tackles over the course of the night.

if you take away the fourth quarter 3 play td drive they had, it seems like i could have counted the number of positive offensive plays that florida had on one hand.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.