News Article: Kirby Smart begins pillage of Alabama staff

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Drive by media...Kirby still works in Tuscaloosa at the moment. We live in an age where reporters want to make the news instead of report what is there. Don't get caught up in their speculations.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Let it STOP there. I used to like UGA, but no more. I hope this doesn't make me hate CKS, too! :mad2:
they are just desperately yelling "look over here at me, i'm important". unfortunately for them, for the past several years, that's about the only energy they are willing to expend in pursuit of championship teams. it will be interesting to see if that culture continues with smart there.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've read that Schumann will be in an on-field role at UGA. Hard to blame him for wanting to move up the ladder a bit.

And let's be honest, how many of us even knew who Glenn Schumann was before this article? Hard to worked up over this guy being "pillaged".

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Pillage? An obscure employee I bet most people here had never heard of? I'm sure a few will follow Smart but GA and the AJC are delusional if they think these changes are going to produce dramatic results in under three years. The expected threshold is nine wins . . . Not much room for a huge upside. Smart needs a few years under the radar - McElwain at Colorado State, Saban at Mich State - before stepping onto the main stage (if GA is the main stage by virtue of being in the SEC - blue font!)

Roll Tide

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I've read that Schumann will be in an on-field role at UGA. Hard to blame him for wanting to move up the ladder a bit.

And let's be honest, how many of us even knew who Glenn Schumann was before this article? Hard to worked up over this guy being "pillaged".
Exactly. Kudos to them for stepping up. Kudos to Kirby for recognizing talent. As for Cochran, however.... back the heck off. We need that guy to stay.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

And let's be honest, how many of us even knew who Glenn Schumann was before this article? Hard to worked up over this guy being "pillaged".[/QUOTE]

Agree. I think I`d reserve the term " Pillage" for when/if any significant staff leave for Georgia. Wonder how things are working out with CSC ?

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX

Never heard of him. I plan to go through the media guide when I get home.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
The Schumann guy was in player personnel along with Abdul-Rahim who Durkin at Maryland just hired to coach DBs. Both of these guys were young hires from high schools I believe that CNS saw as promising coaches and they do a great deal of work behind the scenes and got a wealth of knowledge going to the Mal Moore Football Building each day. People like this behind the scenes help our program and they are part of a blueprint that very few other programs really invest in. These are losses in the fact that Abdul-Rahim might have been a consideration for our secondary coach if in the case Mel Tucker leaves to go back to the NFL. Keep in mind there have ben other coaches who have filled these roles like a Geoff Collins, a Jeremy Pruitt and a Kevin Sherrer among others. If you work in the Mal Moore Building and CNS hired you, something about you caught a heck of a football coaches eye! I think that CNS is always looking for quality young coaches who have bright futures in coaching and many times it is the jump from high school to college they need and don't think they are not appreciative of CNS for that chance. They will be replaced, no one will know who they are and 7 or 8 or 10 years from now, the will be a DC on the sideline of some top 25 football program.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Two thoughts - he talked to Saban about it first, and this guy just made a mistake. No way he should have changed his twitter profile until this was officially announced. Rookie mistake.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.