Who's the starting QB for Bama next season?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
More power to JH if he can win the job as a true freshman, Sip, but with the experience in front of him and redshirt frosh. Blake Barnett waiting to pounce too, it'll take some real special play from him or everybody else collapsing in front of him.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
HE has to add couple of pounds
Except he's way bigger, faster and has an absolute rocket on his right shoulder.
I actually think the pounds thing is doable for him by fall. He's 6'2 208. He looked a bit lanky in late season practice vids. For that height he could stand to be 215 (Sims played at 218) but I would think much more than that will affect his mobility. He still has another 6 months to put on 7 pounds. Unless he has BB levels of metabolism I'd say that's realistic.

Also Jalen Hurts is not (currently) faster than Blake Sims was.
Blake's NFL 40 time was 4.57
Barnett's is said to be 4.7
Jalen's is 4.85
Now that'll likely improve with physical maturity.

I still think it'll be BB. He has a lot of the physical tools of Hurt with more height and a longer time in the program. Doesn't matter how quick you can grasp things - there's something to be said for repetition and discovering the nuance of a concept. BB has had a whole year of testing his mettle against the best defense in college football. I like Hurts, I just think that, even if he were to pick up and thoroughly understand our schemes by September, he just won't have enough reps in to make it instinctive. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know it takes time to adjust to the college game, but this guy is one of the best prospects at QB we've ever signed in my opinion. Big fast and a cannon. Check it out. Plus he enrolled early.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2166961/highlights/307661417
Sip, Barnett enrolled early last year. I think we encourage qbs to enroll early whenever possible so they can get started on learning the offense. By now, Barnett should be very comfortable and it's a matter of finding chemistry with all those receivers. Bateman and Cornwell will have opportunities. Hurt will compete, but it's mostly for his confidence. If Hurt puts on a big show this spring, and continue that into the fall.. oh boy! That would be awesome... unfortunately, it may not happen. did Rosen of UCLA struggle in second part of season?

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Where did you see Blake Sims laser 40 time at 4.57? I'm not denying it, but I always thought that he timed out in the 40 much slower than he looked on the field......much like D Watson.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Cooper Bateman from a perception standpoint is the least likely returning QB to win the job. So that means he will end up being the starter, right? LOL! Isn't that how it works. Blake Sims was put on the trash pile after the A-Day game, ended up starting, Jake Coker was basically done the same during the spring of his Senior season and he ended up being the starter. So here we go again. Cooper Bateman isn't the most popular choice going into the season so by precedence Cooper Bateman will be the starter and lead us to another NC. Sound good!?!?!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Cooper Bateman from a perception standpoint is the least likely returning QB to win the job. So that means he will end up being the starter, right? LOL! Isn't that how it works. Blake Sims was put on the trash pile after the A-Day game, ended up starting, Jake Coker was basically done the same during the spring of his Senior season and he ended up being the starter. So here we go again. Cooper Bateman isn't the most popular choice going into the season so by precedence Cooper Bateman will be the starter and lead us to another NC. Sound good!?!?!
Quit being so dadgum logical!!!

But seriously, this cycle has got to break. Surely one of these young guns is going to take the reins and give us another 2 or 3 year run of starting qb.

I think we've been successful not because of first year starters, but in despite of first year starters.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
VERY well said. After the last two seasons I'll no longer speculate and/or predict a starting QB. As long as CLK can keep his head straight and develop the offense I don't care who starts.

But I will be going to A-Day this year. :wink:

RTR!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.