Who's our OC next year?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I am with the majority that believes CLK will be back. Tensions remain but there appears to be an improvement in the relationship with Coach Saban. In the SECCG, on BAMA's next to last possession, facing a third and relatively short.....Saban walks over to CLK on the sideline and says "Just get the first down." Coker rolled right threw a pass into our player's hands beyond the sticks... and he dropped it. It was the right call and not Kiffin's fault. Just seems CLK is earning Coach Saban's trust. One need only look at the final drive Saturday and in particular the final drive in the LSU game to see why. JMHO.
I re-watched that play last night, and I'm not so critical of OJ anymore. It was the perfect setup, he was wide open, and the ball hit him in the hands so yes... he should have caught it. But watching it over I realized Coker put a little too much mustard on it. If he backs off some of the velocity, it's a much easier pass to catch. Again, Howard has to make the play anyway but Coker could have helped is all I'm saying.

I agree it was the perfect play, and for the most part, Kiffin has been the best OC under Coach Saban. I still prefer McElwain's style, but what Kiffin has done with Sims and Coker is pretty phenomenal.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I re-watched that play last night, and I'm not so critical of OJ anymore. It was the perfect setup, he was wide open, and the ball hit him in the hands so yes... he should have caught it. But watching it over I realized Coker put a little too much mustard on it. If he backs off some of the velocity, it's a much easier pass to catch. Again, Howard has to make the play anyway but Coker could have helped is all I'm saying.
I said that to my wife at the time and she just rolled her eyes. Her stance - he is a junior and he is supposed to be an elite receiver at the position. But it is a lot harder to catch a pass thrown that hard from so close than many think. It needed more touch.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
And on First downs... at times... It drives me nuts when I see this:
1st down jet sweep to Ridley or stewart which nets for -2 yards.
2nd down Ball to henry for 3 yards.
3rd down screen pass to Ridley for 2 yards.
4th - kick the ball.
I'm guessing the 2nd and 3rd down calls in your scenario are more Saban's influence than Kiffin.

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007

I agree it was the perfect play, and for the most part, Kiffin has been the best OC under Coach Saban. I still prefer McElwain's style, but what Kiffin has done with Sims and Coker is pretty phenomenal.
I agree. Not OJ's fault either. :)

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I said that to my wife at the time and she just rolled her eyes. Her stance - he is a junior and he is supposed to be an elite receiver at the position. But it is a lot harder to catch a pass thrown that hard from so close than many think. It needed more touch.
David Morris (who worked with JC at his QB clinic) is cousin to one of my good friends from HS. JC throws as hard a pass as anybody (including Scam). Morris has documented commentary on this over the last two years, while working with JC. I think one of the signs of a mature QB is having "touch", and JC is still struggling with that a bit.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The pop pass (the one I'm referring to at least) and the jet sweep are basically the same, except on the pop pass, Jake gets rid of it to the motioning man (Drake, Stewart, Ridley) as soon as the ball touched his hands. It's not a handoff but like a quick touch pass as in basketball. Whatever yards they get on that little play goes towards Jake's passing yardage
You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means...
I have heard that shuttle pass used in Alabama's offense referred to as a pop pass before. More generally the term is used to describe the type of pass that Ole Miss used against Alabama earlier this year (the one with the illegal lineman down field). QB acts like he is going to rush to pull in the CB, then pops a pass over the CB's head to the WR left open behind him.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
So glad to see more positive than negative takes when it comes to coach Lane Kiffin on the board. I guess 2 SEC Championships in a row help those things, even within one's own fan base. Coach Kiffin was rock solid again in the SECCG! He is about to have another Heisman under his tutelage too.

If you google Kiffin you get "Kiffin was correct about TO", "Maryland", or "SABANS Daughter"! Please, please someone tell me the story/rumor "some" are clinging to isnt "SABANS Daughter" and were not expected to believe a good looking, ring wearing, married football play calling Rockstar would resort to that to get released from a very coveted job?

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I have heard that shuttle pass used in Alabama's offense referred to as a pop pass before. More generally the term is used to describe the type of pass that Ole Miss used against Alabama earlier this year (the one with the illegal lineman down field). QB acts like he is going to rush to pull in the CB, then pops a pass over the CB's head to the WR left open behind him.
"POP" is an acronym of Play Option Pass. The Ole Miss play you reference, and the Marshall to Coates TD in the 2013 Iron Bowl that tied that game at 28, are textbook examples. Either QB had the option to keep it for a run, or throw it if the CBs broke too soon (as they did both times, illegal linemen downfield notwithstanding). The shovel/shuttle/Utah/Eutaw/flip/whatever-people-like-to-call-it pass on the jet sweep is not a POP as I understand it, as it's not an option play.

Self-admitted, quixotic, grammar nazi alert - this means saying "POP pass" is redundant, much like PIN number.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I know there have been some issues, but I'm really hopeful Kiffin stays at least one more year. It will give continuity on that side of the ball, and Coach Saban can be as involved as necessary to make sure the defense is stable. I expect Pruitt to be DC, but if not there may need to be a little more hand holding in year one. CNS having an OC that is going into year 3 could help a lot. I know CLK has some issues, but the guy is talented, and I was really glad to hear that things between him and Saban appear to be better. I was all for the hire originally and have been glad to be proven right about him on the field. He isn't perfect, but two years in a row he has played to the teams strengths on offense. He likes to be more wide open, but I love that he was willing to ground and pound because that's what this team is good at.

Let's all stop and think for a moment what another year of Blake would have been like. A real deep ball thrower that can run like an SEC running back. I love Coker the kid is tough and a leader, but to see Ridley getting those in stride deep balls and what that would open up for the running game.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
FWIW Greg McElroy said on Sirius this morning that he thinks Kiffin will be heading to the NFL as an OC once the firings begin. He also said he thought Coach Saban will promote Mel Tucker to the DC position. He didn't offer any names as a replacement for Kiffin.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm guessing the 2nd and 3rd down calls in your scenario are more Saban's influence than Kiffin.
More of Kiffin. Saban don't get in Kiffin's way when he calling the plays. Between the series, he'll provide inputs... thats why early on its frustrating to see things like that.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
FWIW Greg McElroy said on Sirius this morning that he thinks Kiffin will be heading to the NFL as an OC once the firings begin. He also said he thought Coach Saban will promote Mel Tucker to the DC position. He didn't offer any names as a replacement for Kiffin.
If Kiffin truly want to come back next year, I don't think he will leave Saban in a spot with a month left before signing day. That could be a serious negative impact on recuiting. IF Kiffin wasn't coming back, I think He would be putting out a feeler by now... But who knows.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
David Morris (who worked with JC at his QB clinic) is cousin to one of my good friends from HS. JC throws as hard a pass as anybody (including Scam). Morris has documented commentary on this over the last two years, while working with JC. I think one of the signs of a mature QB is having "touch", and JC is still struggling with that a bit.
I'm going to say this. I speak on my experience from catching ball. I've caught balls that was thrown hard toward me. I've dropped plenty as well. It's hard to catch a " fastball" especially when you're coming out of your route and turning around and see ball coming at you real fast, not giving you time to adjust or anything. Some people can react quickly, and some don't.

On that play, Howard should've caught that ball. He was watching Coker the whole time and he had time. This is on Howard, not Coker.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Nothing. I truly encourage you not to ask Earle or other mods about this... if you want to know something, you should do some research on your own. This is something this shouldn't be discussed here on this board. I promise you that.
I'm not talking about Lane's off the field stuff--I already know what that is. Im referring to the school of thought that he might be retained beyond this year. I see that Mr Earle answered that for me earlier in the thread.

Last edited:

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
If Kiffin truly want to come back next year, I don't think he will leave Saban in a spot with a month left before signing day. That could be a serious negative impact on recuiting. IF Kiffin wasn't coming back, I think He would be putting out a feeler by now... But who knows.
I think the concern right now would be more on negative impact on the college playoff and more clutter, so if he is putting out feelers with NFL teams, I don't think anything would be announced until after January 11th.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Who will be the OC next year and Kiffin's future...mysteries that help make following college football fun. I completely defer to whatever Saban works out.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It would suit me if all the decent coaching jobs were taken and LK agrees to stick around one more year.
It would increase his chances of landing in a good job.
LK only has to see how Kirby was courted by Ga. to see a clear path for a better job, with more money too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.