News Article: Danny Kanell: Liberal media waging war on football

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
The technical term for such behavior modification is "moral hazard," and it's a major principle of classical economics. It's not surprising at at all that an economics professor would use seatbelts (with which every student has personal experience) to illustrate a concept such as, say, unemployment insurance (with which few students have)...
It's been a long time ago. I don't have the slightest idea what concept we were discussing. It was in Microeconomics. The same guy always liked to talk about a gold Lamborghini with alligator upholstery...

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
It's been a long time ago. I don't have the slightest idea what concept we were discussing. It was in Microeconomics. The same guy always liked to talk about a gold Lamborghini with alligator upholstery...
Econ professors tend to be eccentric, minus the money that would make them popularly so. My 101 (Micro) prof used to make up bizarre names for the people in his test questions. The most memorable that's suitable for TideFans: Picca U. Frenznoze...

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
I don't expect that movie to get very good ratings, I may be wrong. All I know is I ain't gonna watch it.
Because Will Smith + Christmas release usually equals bad ratings?

That said, the trailer is almost intolerable. As B1G has mentioned previously, the tendency to demonize or at least dismiss people with reasonable disagreements is troubling. If the trailer is any guide, this movie will reek of that tendency...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
From Headcase:

Stats on Concussions

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
Girls' gymnastics: 7

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Concussion Rates per Sport

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.

Football: 64 -76.8
Boys' ice hockey: 54
Girl's soccer: 33
Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
Girls' gymnastics: 7
It would be pretty interesting for someone to do a comparative analysis on why there is such a disparity between the soccer concussion rates of girls and boys...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Econ professors tend to be eccentric, minus the money that would make them popularly so. My 101 (Micro) prof used to make up bizarre names for the people in his test questions. The most memorable that's suitable for TideFans: Picca U. Frenznoze...

Pretty sure there were some folks, just off the boat, in the neighborhood my mom grew up in, with names like that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It would be pretty interesting for someone to do a comparative analysis on why there is such a disparity between the soccer concussion rates of girls and boys...
There's a joke in there that TideFans won't allow me to post. :wink:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Of course, this was almost 50 years ago, in some other state, but.............

185# was next to last class. Next was "unlimited". Which was filled by someone on the football team.

Do they even have flea-weight classes, these days?

Anyway, the gist of my post was we had some real bruisers, even down where I wrestled. All of the kids I was behind were either regional champs, or runner-ups. My problem is I had my only growth spurt, and the rest of my frame had not caught up, so I would have been mauled.

My shoulder still bothers me. Which is why I am against girls wrestling. They don't know how easy it is to get tore up. I do!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I have to say (I've complained before to our Conference) that the officials let the girls basketball games get out of hand as far as physicality of play.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Of course, this was almost 50 years ago, in some other state, but.............

185# was next to last class. Next was "unlimited". Which was filled by someone on the football team.

Do they even have flea-weight classes, these days?

Anyway, the gist of my post was we had some real bruisers, even down where I wrestled. All of the kids I was behind were either regional champs, or runner-ups. My problem is I had my only growth spurt, and the rest of my frame had not caught up, so I would have been mauled.

My shoulder still bothers me. Which is why I am against girls wrestling. They don't know how easy it is to get tore up. I do!
A friend of mine wrestled 106. About as light as it gets these days, I think. Went to the Nationals in that class. He was a WR on the football team too, though he was buried on the depth chart.

He could lock me in a cradle faster than I could blink. Dang good.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I'm all for players safety & never ever want to see anyone get hurt, but, leave the game be cause as already been posted..The game is as safe as it could possibly be & if it changes much more we could call it another sport it will have changed so much..Playing the game of football is a personal choice of the player, is there risks of injuries or even death, you betcha backside there is just like there's a chance in baseball, B'Ball, boxing, MMA, NASCAR & practically any sport when there's contact involved..It's a players choice to weigh the risks & rewards of playing in any sport they love or wants to play..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.