Coincidence Or Omen On the Heisman Vote?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Most of you know I suffer from that HSAM mental illness (aka the Marilu Henner Syndrome). This just hit me as I woke up this morning.

On December 12, 2009, Alabama running back Mark Ingram - the acknowledged Heisman front-runner who was not even mentioned in preseason hype - won the first Heisman ever by a player at Alabama, winning a narrow vote over Stanford running back Toby Gerhardt. Ingram won in large part because he was leading a team with the shot at the national championship.

This year:

1) the ceremony is again on December 12 (six years, only one leap year equals same day)
2) the front-runner is Alabama running back Derrick Henry
3) he was not mentioned in pre-season hype
4) the closest competition appears to be from Stanford running back Christian McCaffery
5) Alabama is ranked #2 and has a shot at the national championship

I love it, folks.

I'd love it more if 2015 ends the same way 2009 did on multiple levels.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Most of you know I suffer from that HSAM mental illness (aka the Marilu Henner Syndrome). This just hit me as I woke up this morning.

Very interesting, but do you remember what you had for breakfast this morning?!?
I'm eating it right now so yes.

But I also know that on the morning that Ingram won the Heisman, I worked at the lab all day long and worked in the Chemistry section. I had breakfast that morning between 9 and 10 because that was when the cafeteria was open back then (it's closed now on Saturday, we have a SubWay), and I had two sausage patties, two bacon strips, two biscuits and a serving of white gravy plus a Diet Coke.

(That was before my massive weight loss obviously).

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
I'm eating it right now so yes.

But I also know that on the morning that Ingram won the Heisman, I worked at the lab all day long and worked in the Chemistry section. I had breakfast that morning between 9 and 10 because that was when the cafeteria was open back then (it's closed now on Saturday, we have a SubWay), and I had two sausage patties, two bacon strips, two biscuits and a serving of white gravy plus a Diet Coke.

(That was before my massive weight loss obviously).

Is Marilu Henner Syndrome a blessing or a curse? Like most folks (I'm assuming), I find it quite fascinating, but I don't want to make light of it if it's more of a curse.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is Marilu Henner Syndrome a blessing or a curse? Like most folks (I'm assuming), I find it quite fascinating, but I don't want to make light of it if it's more of a curse.
Yes and no is the best I can say.

As Lesley Stahl observed, it's a 'two-edged sword.'

Btw - not to hijack the thread as you may not have seen it, but here's a You Tube link with us that sort of gives a humorous idea. I'm in the red (btw - I've lost 100 lbs since then and kept off 90 fwiw).

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Selma, hate to break it to ya but you don't favor Marilu AT ALL!

I think he wins it. That'd be great for him and Bama. But I'm sure he'd like MVP of the NCG just as much. And I think he has perfect opportunity for that as well.

RTR!!!

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2015/12/10/college-football-awards-espn/77110660/

According to this article in USA Today, five players have won the Maxwell and Doak Walker Award. Three of those players have brought home the Heisman. It doesn't name the players, however, and unfortunately, I don't know them either.
The great thing this year is that there is not a great QB competing for the award. No way Watson wins it. It is nearly impossible for a RB to win the award in a year with a strong QB contender.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
Happened to drive through Yulee yesterday, contemplating where the statue should be placed. Worrying is a hobby, so it occurred to me that the widespread Alabama haters out there may have jumped on the McCaffrey bandwagon, after he went wild in the tackling-optional PAC 12 title game.

It would be a painful irony if the Florida Gators defense - which largely precluded any 75 or 80-yard runs - winds up costing Derrick - a kid from Florida who ditched them for Alabama - the Heisman. A few Gators I know around here will count that as a "win." I guess that's just SEC football. Most I have talked to hold no grudge and are thrilled at his personal success, and the attention it brings to their wide spot in the road.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The great thing this year is that there is not a great QB competing for the award. No way Watson wins it. It is nearly impossible for a RB to win the award in a year with a strong QB contender.
The last RB to win was Ingram with five QBs in between. I wonder if any school ever had consecutive Heisman winners at a position.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The last RB to win was Ingram with five QBs in between. I wonder if any school ever had consecutive Heisman winners at a position.
USC had Mike Garrett (halfback) in 1965 and OJ Simpson (halfback) in 1968.
Notre Dame had Johnny Lujack (QB) in 1947 and Paul Hornung (QB) in 1956
The most obvious one - Ohio State had Archie Griffin go back to back in 1974 and 1975.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.