Link: Bevo having a tough time setting the hook on new OC at Tulsa

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Gilbert, who hasn’t called played at his last two schools . . . Earlier in the week, Texas had offered TCU’s Sonny Cumbie a deal worth $1.2 million annually. Cumbie, who also doesn’t call plays at TCU, turned Strong’s offer down.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer an OC who has been calling the plays, so I have a better idea of what I'm getting.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Pretty amazing a few thousand dollars a year kept them from signing their 2nd choice. Seems like they would have done what they had to do by making it attractive and getting him on board. They now look cheap and not wanting to win.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Money is no object in Texas. All coaches write their own checks. They get whoever they want because they're the mighty Texas Longhorns. (Sarcasm )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
who would want this job? they wanted to fire Strong after one game. no sane coach would take this job knowing that there is a 99.99999% chance they could be jobless next year.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
longhorn admins and alumni are probably trying to sabotage Strong so he will quit and they'll be off the hook for the 15 million they owe him if he's fired. I don't think it will work and I'm cool with that. Makes for great entertainment :smile:.

tidegrandpa

All-American
longhorn admins and alumni are probably trying to sabotage Strong so he will quit and they'll be off the hook for the 15 million they owe him if he's fired. I don't think it will work and I'm cool with that. Makes for great entertainment :smile:.
Their plane is to arrive back in Austin 10:45 tonight, film at 11:00

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N661MS

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
Charlie needs to call me. I have experience, I am killing it on NFL Madden '16. If he has to reach that far down into the abyss, I'll take it. I'll need at least 2 mill per year to wear that ugly burnt orange.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
Bobby Burton from Horns 247 "I'm telling you that Gilbert was initially told Texas OC was a $750-$900 job. Gilbert was initially it was told it was a three year guarantee.

Charlie brings him to campus, offers him the job, Gilbert says let's do it.

Charlie comes back a little over $500k for two years. Gilbert balks. Then Charlie thinks an extra $75k will do the trick.

Gilbert says no. Charlie has a blank check - he had approval for $1.3mm for Cumbie already.

But the president, the head coach and the athletic director got on a plane to go clean this up ON A RECRUITING WEEKEND. "

tidegrandpa

All-American
I was on my way home on the train and saw this:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...gilbert-turns-texas-offensive-coordinator-job

I chuckled at the title and thought, "Gee I've heard that one before!" They are the real life version of JR Ewing - throw out money and get your way.
I am not a big anti UT guy, both my daughters graduated there, but they know their old man is no football fan of theirs. I do marvel at how such a power 6 years ago could have imploded with such 'experts' at the helm.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I am not a big anti UT guy, both my daughters graduated there, but they know their old man is no football fan of theirs. I do marvel at how such a power 6 years ago could have imploded with such 'experts' at the helm.
I'm no fan either. That said! Don't be the man to follow The MAN! Instead, be the Man to follow the man who followed The Man.

Same could be true after Coach Saban. It appeared to be true after Coach Bryant. But that was the man who followed THE MAN, and then the man who was there before a real Man showed up! Then, after that we couldn't find a real MAN until the next MAN showed up. That Man is still there/here/everywhere!

Last edited:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
If only Colt McCoy hadn't got hurt. At this point, they would be better off retiring Bevo and getting someone dressed up in a #12 uniform as a mascot :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.