Robert Nkemdiche: drugs, suspended from bowl game...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Some reporters are destroying this report on Twitter. That lede is blog-worthy, and that's it.

Might want to find out from sources which brother it was. While they're at it, they might want to get some confirmation from the hospital.
TIFWIW but NBC, Bleacher Report and SECCountry have picked up the story. They're all sourcing Ian Rapoport..

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
IMO, anyone who takes drugs that they buy from the street, which is supplied by an endless chain of people who are willing to commit murder to make money, is an idiot. You buy and use street drugs, you have no idea what you are consuming. So many of these problems would disappear, or be reduced significantly, if these drugs were legalized.
Thing is a lot of those idiots are probably your neighbors and friends. Agreed on the legalization though. Problem is all this bad publicity from "synthetic marijuana" doesn't help the cause of legalizing the real deal. I'm like AUDub. I really don't like the fact that people call it "synthetic marijuana" because that isn't was it is at all.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
A buddy, who used to work for the Grateful Dead, called last night. He tends to ramble a bit, and went off on a tangent how taking "cheap" acid, when he was young, really messed him up.

He claimed if you took the really "pure" stuff, that Owsley made, it had none of the undesirable side effects. (Yes, he knew and worked with him.) Based on his personal experience, he claims the impurities are the problem.

You could even extrapolate that to the cheap liquor that he can only afford now. The ironic part is he has drank so much of all types, he can no longer tell the difference between expensive and cheap kind.

Ah, to be young again...............

(Side note: the reason why I remember so much of the 60s, as opposed to most everyone else that I know should be obvious.)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really don't like the fact that people call it "synthetic marijuana" because that isn't was it is at all.
There are a lot of harmful substances. The coffee bean, the tobacco leaf and the cannabis bud all are potentially quite powerful substances. They also, if taken in moderation and not polluted with foreign substances are rather benign. A lot of the threat of all those things comes from what is done to them after they are harvested and the quantity in which they are consumed.

Another example would be the danger that people faced from various adulterated (and illegal) alcoholic drinks that produced all kinds of harmful side effects. I do not put alcohol in the same category I put those other three things though, because simply consuming a large amount of alcohol can be lethal.

Anyway, I did club security and the stuff people were known for taking was just ridiculous. Industrial cleaners and what not, it was insane. I don't think you can just make stupidity go away, but I'd certainly argue that bringing things out into the open would mitigate some of the risks. Furthermore, we just have to hold people accountable. Smoke and drink what you want as far as I'm concerned, but I shouldn't be paying your tab, not at the hospital, not at your workplace, not anywhere.

To bring this back in line with the discussion, I doubt the worst of the problems the brothers had was actually just from marijuana. It was probably something spice related, or some sort of additive to marijuana. I've known of people lacing weed with all kinds of things like PCP, not to mention things that could have been added along the way for various reasons.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are a lot of harmful substances. The coffee bean, the tobacco leaf and the cannabis bud all are potentially quite powerful substances. They also, if taken in moderation and not polluted with foreign substances are rather benign. A lot of the threat of all those things comes from what is done to them after they are harvested and the quantity in which they are consumed.

Another example would be the danger that people faced from various adulterated (and illegal) alcoholic drinks that produced all kinds of harmful side effects. I do not put alcohol in the same category I put those other three things though, because simply consuming a large amount of alcohol can be lethal.

Anyway, I did club security and the stuff people were known for taking was just ridiculous. Industrial cleaners and what not, it was insane. I don't think you can just make stupidity go away, but I'd certainly argue that bringing things out into the open would mitigate some of the risks. Furthermore, we just have to hold people accountable. Smoke and drink what you want as far as I'm concerned, but I shouldn't be paying your tab, not at the hospital, not at your workplace, not anywhere.

To bring this back in line with the discussion, I doubt the worst of the problems the brothers had was actually just from marijuana. It was probably something spice related, or some sort of additive to marijuana. I've known of people lacing weed with all kinds of things like PCP, not to mention things that could have been added along the way for various reasons.
I agree with this. MJ alone just does not induce that behavior. You'd just go to sleep first...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
TIFWIW but NBC, Bleacher Report and SECCountry have picked up the story. They're all sourcing Ian Rapoport..
Yes, Ian tweeted Denzel was the one in the hospital.

I was commenting on the poor work by the Jackson news station. That's all.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I agree with this. MJ alone just does not induce that behavior. You'd just go to sleep first...
Generally I agree too. However, I have seen too many cases that break that generalization to ever want it legal in a way that it is easily available. I don't think people are idiots that disagree, or even use, but I have witnessed to much for my mind to ever be changed.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
We're probably going to have to move this conversation to NS soon.

Generally I agree too. However, I have seen too many cases that break that generalization to ever want it legal in a way that it is easily available. I don't think people are idiots that disagree, or even use, but I have witnessed to much for my mind to ever be changed.
It is already easily available. My dad always used to say, "If you ask around your high school looking for weed or beer, guess which one will be easier to find." My high school years reflected that sentiment to a T in Trussville, Alabama of all places.

Thing is, compared to legal drugs like alcohol, marijuana is actually quite benign. If it truly is illegal because of how harmful it can be, society exhibits the worst sort of hypocrisy concerning alcohol.

Last edited:

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
Yall I hate to put myself out there like this but I've been hanging with pot smokers for basically my whole life! If there is a professional field, my resume would reflect it. I live in Oregon now and we've been working for a legalized market for awhile now so please don't judge me, just side on different strokes for different folks. The only reason I mention all this is because in all my years I've just never seen anything like this. The Nkemdiche brothers are not from our community, I promise yall that.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
We're probably going to have to move this conversation to NS soon.

It is already easily available. My dad always used to say, "If you ask around your high school looking for weed or beer, guess which one will be easier to find." My high school years reflected that sentiment to a T in Trussville, Alabama of all places.

Thing is, compared to legal drugs like alcohol, marijuana is actually quite benign. If it truly is illegal because of how harmful it can be, society exhibits the worst sort of hypocrisy concerning alcohol.
Yup, that was as far as I planned on going. A while back we had a similar discussion and I started a thread in NS describing the experiences that shaped my thinking.

I hope both of these young men have learned enough of a lesson to quit messing around with anything that impairs them. From my experiences that is not as easily done as said.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll just throw this out there, often it's all too easy to blame a substance for the actions of individuals. Getting drunk doesn't make you beat your wife, and most drugs, prescriptions or street can impair you, but they rarely will actually cause you to do anything completely out of character. Instead, idiots act like bigger idiots, wife beaters act on their impulses, etc... the substances make an all too convenient excuse. The prohibitionists provide probably the biggest example of the misplaced idea that it was the substance in and of itself that caused all the problems. They banned liquor only to find out that bad people are still going to go right on being bad people.

Sadly, in the case of the Nkemdiche brothers, they clearly have poor judgement. I've never taken a drink, or smoked weed and had the sudden impulse to do harm to myself or others (that includes jumping out a window). It doesn't really work like that... it either needs to be a truly mind altering substance, or the latent desire to do these things has to be there.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Ya know?

I'd lean towards these two being dumb college stoners than troubled youths but it is hard to discern the troubled from the stupid. Sometimes the two might be one in the same...stupidity just raining down troubles on you like these guys.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I saw a confirmed report of the brother being hospitalized as previously mentioned! I think we need the Criminal Minds "BAU" TV show team to figure out the behavior going on here with this family. I dont know but this is head scratching stuff. If I was an Ole Miss fan I believe I would seal the envelope and move on and let these boys figure it out. Hopefully they will!!!

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Nkemdiche explains hotel-window fall, says Tunsil was present

Robert Nkemdiche did his best on Friday to explain his bizarre December fall from a hotel room in Atlanta. The fall left him hospitalized and eventually charged with marijuana possession, but his answers during his press conference at the NFL Scouting Combine only left more questions.

Including one for potential No. 1 overall draft pick Laremy Tunsil.

Nkemdiche, the former Ole Miss defensive lineman, admitted he was drunk at the time of the fall, but denied that marijuana discovered in the hotel room by police belonged to him. He also said his Rebels teammate, Tunsil, was among those at the hotel room, but did not say whether the marijuana belonged to Tunsil.

"There were more people in my room. The hotel was under my name, and nobody wanted to take the fall," Nkemdiche said.

As for the fall itself, Nkemdiche said he's answered plenty of questions from NFL clubs about the incident.

"I told them the truth. It was a rash decision by me. Uncharacteristic and not who I am," said Nkemdiche, himself a presumptive first-round draft pick. "That's not what I stand for, that's not what my family stands for. It was embarrassing for me, my whole family, the whole Ole Miss family. (I told NFL teams) that's not the kind of player they're getting.

"I was drinking. I was drunk."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.