High School Kicker Uses Ref to Make Field Goal

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Funny and fabulous at the same time. Don't you wish?....................nah we won't go there.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I would think that the kick would be no good. The ref is "part of the field" and ricocheting the ball off a ref would be like bouncing it off the ground. Does it count if you bounce a field goal through the uprights?

As for the ref being injured, the ref looked okay after the kick. The ricochet did not knock to his knees or anything like that. He went over and picked up his hat.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I would think that the kick would be no good. The ref is "part of the field" and ricocheting the ball off a ref would be like bouncing it off the ground. Does it count if you bounce a field goal through the uprights?

As for the ref being injured, the ref looked okay after the kick. The ricochet did not knock to his knees or anything like that. He went over and picked up his hat.
I just asked a friend who is an AHSAA official. He said the kick is no good. His comment:
NO GOOD!! If the ball touched me while I was on the sideline then it would be considered out of bounds. Therefore, we can only assume that if the Umpire was not in the way of the field of play, the kick would have been no good.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Really? Who else do you wish injury upon? I thought our fanbase was classier than that.

I didn't wish injury on anyone. The ref looked fine. I just thought it was funny and it would be funny to see a couple of SEC refs beaned in much the same way. Maybe they could see better afterwards.

He might not have seen the tape.
A better analogy is that, if a QB bounces a pass off the ref on a crossing route, and a wide receiver catches it before it hits the ground, would it be a good forward pass?
I do not think so.
I have seen a game that it was called complete. I have to look it up.

Can a ref cause a fumble?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have seen a game that it was called complete. I have to look it up.

Can a ref cause a fumble?
I don't know. That is a good question.
Like many NFL commentators, I get confused and frustrated by what constitutes a catch and what does not.
If you catch the ball while in the air and you obviously control the ball completely while in the air, and the first thing that contacts the ground is your elbow, which knocks the ball loose, I'd say the catch is good and the play is dead when your elbow makes contact with the ground. NFL officials disagree. You did not "complete the catch," whatever that means.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN

As far as I know, in all sports the ball hitting the refree doesn't stop play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.