Kicker Mitchell Wasson Backs Out of Preferred Walk-On Offer From Alabama

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Re: Kicker Mitchell Wasson Gets Preferred Walk-On Offer From Bama

Personally think we'll take our chances with this one and find someone else if that's the case. I don't see a reason to spend a scholarship on a kicker right now.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Personally think we'll take our chances with this one and find someone else if that's the case. I don't see a reason to spend a scholarship on a kicker right now.
I don't either. With the year Adam had and him coming back we don't really need one in this class (Eddie P. was just too good not to offer). We can add a good one in the 2017 class.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

There is more difference than just that...it also had to do with being a part of the 105 that can practice in August and other benefits as well.
Exactly and that's the biggest difference. Preferred means he has a better chance over the other walk ons of staying on the 105 like Padreruf said. Also it gives him the chance for UGA to get on the Hope scholarship and not even have to pay for school. If we value him, we better offer. If not, he's gone and I don't blame him one bit.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I never believe in offering a scholly out of HS to a kicker, but I wouldn't question Saban if he decides otherwise.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I think he'll end up at Georgia cos he just doesn't have enough experience to warrant a full scholly at Bama. Preferred walk on is about right.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

This is actually pretty big. He is a 5 star by Chris Sailer and Grif is done after next year.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

He's #1 Kicker and #1 Punter for 2017 according to Chris Sailer's group. Is there mutual interest?
Honestly IDK. If you put an offer on the table though that is the key. It will likely be determined if they come into Camp next year and earn a offer.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Re: ***Kicker Mitchell Wasson Accepts Preferred Walk-On Offer From Bama****

Looking at his video he looks like he has a decent leg on the punts although not near Scott when JK booms it. Accuracy looks really good on the field goals. Kick offs look a bit short - most landing around what would be the goal line to 5 yard line (they were kicking off from the 10 in their practice). Great to see a solid backup for both positions with longterm potential.

ROLLTIDE!!

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii

First off, welcome Mitchell and RTR!

I also saw the 5 Star rating and was blown away, I mean there can only be like 3 or 4 of these 5 Star kickers right? Wrong, Chris Sailor list 40 kickers as 5 star. 5 stars = D-1 prospect, 4 stars = D-2, 3 stars = D-3.
Just FYI

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN

First off, welcome Mitchell and RTR!

I also saw the 5 Star rating and was blown away, I mean there can only be like 3 or 4 of these 5 Star kickers right? Wrong, Chris Sailor list 40 kickers as 5 star. 5 stars = D-1 prospect, 4 stars = D-2, 3 stars = D-3.
Just FYI

He's also listed as like #5 in their overall ranking, I believe.

bamajag600

3rd Team
Apr 27, 2006
Hawaii

Yep, which is awesome that we still ended up with a top five kicker this year. I was just pretty confused about the stars on their site, so I looked it up.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Welp, looks like another de-commit from a kicker. Mitchell Wasson just tweeted this: "After a lot of time and consideration I've decided to take a step back on what college to go to and de commit from Alabama and look at all my options. I'd like to thank Alabama's coaching staff for the opportunity." My guess is another school offered him a full scholarship and he would rather accept that than a preferred walk on at Alabama. Can't really blame him if that's the case..

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Welp, looks like another de-commit from a kicker. Mitchell Wasson just tweeted this: "After a lot of time and consideration I've decided to take a step back on what college to go to and de commit from Alabama and look at all my options. I'd like to thank Alabama's coaching staff for the opportunity." My guess is another school offered him a full scholarship and he would rather accept that than a preferred walk on at Alabama. Can't really blame him if that's the case..
Couple that with the fact we still have an open scholarship or two that we've reserved for a possible transfer and another HS recruit, I cant understand why Wasson would be ticked.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

And he commits to......UGA..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.