Kicker Mitchell Wasson Backs Out of Preferred Walk-On Offer From Alabama

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Just saw this on Twitter & I reckon is Eddie Pineiro replacement if he chooses to go to Florida..Mitchell has a pretty dadgum strong leg as well & wouldn't mind seeing us using a scholly on him if need be..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Kicker Mitchell Wasson Gets Preferred Walk-On Offer From Bama

Looking at his stats - only attempted 10 FGs in his HS career. He made 8 of the 10.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

Michael come and kick for the SEC Champions! Roll Tide!

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Wasson from his own mouth loves Bama and currently his top leader follow by Florida and Georgia. He has camp several times at Alabama. He stated that CNS likes him very much and was basically 2nd choice behind Eddy Pineiro. But he is not in a hurry to commit to any school. All 3 schools would prefer he walk-on, he wants a scholarship. That's where it could get sticky, he said Alabama has a scholly to waste since EP got one. :eek2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Wasson from his own mouth loves Bama and currently his top leader follow by Florida and Georgia. He has camp several times at Alabama. He stated that CNS likes him very much and was basically 2nd choice behind Eddy Pineiro. But he is not in a hurry to commit to any school. All 3 schools would prefer he walk-on, he wants a scholarship. That's where it could get sticky, he said Alabama has a scholly to waste since EP got one. :eek2:
Saban's call, but there is no way that he should get a scholarship with only 10 FG attempts. Preferred walk-on seems about right. Earn a scholly at the school.

That said - out of state tuition is expensive. Unless his family has money, this could push him to GA.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Saban's call, but there is no way that he should get a scholarship with only 10 FG attempts. Preferred walk-on seems about right. Earn a scholly at the school.

That said - out of state tuition is expensive. Unless his family has money, this could push him to GA.
Yup..Griffith is a junior this year & we may have our eye's on an even better PK in next years recruiting class we would extend an offer too..I agree 10 FG's leaves a lot of room for doubt for sure when it comes to a scholly offer..Hopefully his parents can get him to Bama & he can earn a scholly proven he has the leg for one..

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

State champs Spanish Fort has an awesome kicker.....he's only in 9th grade and has been starting since 8th grade. Can kick it from anywhere on the field....

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

State champs Spanish Fort has an awesome kicker.....he's only in 9th grade and has been starting since 8th grade. Can kick it from anywhere on the field....
There is so much talent in the south it's amazing, I'm going to give a shout,out to my own son I've mentioned him a few times here in my many football discussions with him which are quite hilarious lol He started kicking for his hs team this year never kicked in his life he begged the coaches to give him a try And I was truly amazed hes just a freshman and he's regularly punting around 50 yd punts and after starting out slow he was kicking 35 yrd fg in practice he's a determined player and loves it so maybe well be hearing his name in the next few years :) that would please mama for sure lol!!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Well... We need a kicker in this class... so Kicker can redshirt.. or at least get used to the game so that when Adam leaves.. he's in good spot...

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Do scholarships now have to be for 4 years? I know at one time they were for one year, but I know there was a lot of discussion about making it mandatory for them to be for 4 years.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Well... We need a kicker in this class... so Kicker can redshirt.. or at least get used to the game so that when Adam leaves.. he's in good spot...
I don't ever recall us having two FG kickers on scholarship at the same time. I think we were doing it with Eddie since he appears to be special. I would think we may be asking Wasson to walk-on this next year and if he performs well he can take Adam's scholly when he graduates. We don't need to waste a scholarship on a kicker to redshirt him.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

There is so much talent in the south it's amazing, I'm going to give a shout,out to my own son I've mentioned him a few times here in my many football discussions with him which are quite hilarious lol He started kicking for his hs team this year never kicked in his life he begged the coaches to give him a try And I was truly amazed hes just a freshman and he's regularly punting around 50 yd punts and after starting out slow he was kicking 35 yrd fg in practice he's a determined player and loves it so maybe well be hearing his name in the next few years :) that would please mama for sure lol!!
Saraland is loaded with talent. I don't understand why we passed on that big WR y'alll have. I think he's going to USC, Tenn or Oregon. I can't remember.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

Saraland is loaded with talent. I don't understand why we passed on that big WR y'alll have. I think he's going to USC, Tenn or Oregon. I can't remember.
i was wondering that my self, They've been giving him lot of press lately and he's very deserving, if he goes outside the south they def let one get away he's a special player. So far USC is the school but Tenn. is making a late push is what I'm hearing. I watched the Spanish fort qb in the allstar game he's pretty good too. Enjoyed watching him :)

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

i was wondering that my self, They've been giving him lot of press lately and he's very deserving, if he goes outside the south they def let one get away he's a special player. So far USC is the school but Tenn. is making a late push is what I'm hearing. I watched the Spanish fort qb in the allstar game he's pretty good too. Enjoyed watching him :)
Yeah, the kid from SP is good. He's a UAB commit, which is very bizarre.

cindym

All-SEC
Oct 14, 2009
saraland, al

Yeah, the kid from SP is good. He's a UAB commit, which is very bizarre.
No doubt! I can't believe South Alabama didn't pull out all the stops? they may have tried but your right bizarre lol!!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Sounds like the asking price for Michael Wasson has escalated. UGA has now offered him a preferred walk-on slot, too, and unless we come up with a full scholarship, he'll take his chances in Athens. Visiting this weekend.

Here.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

What's the difference between walk - on and preferred walk - on?
Just the expectation that the player can earn a scholarship with performance on the field. While a regular walk-on can also do this, it is not an expectation. Walk-ons expect to pay for their entire education. Preferred walk-ons hope/expect to earn a scholarship after a year or two.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Just the expectation that the player can earn a scholarship with performance on the field. While a regular walk-on can also do this, it is not an expectation. Walk-ons expect to pay for their entire education. Preferred walk-ons hope/expect to earn a scholarship after a year or two.
There is more difference than just that...it also had to do with being a part of the 105 that can practice in August and other benefits as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.