Bama - Winthrop Game Thread - 8pm CST

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Rammer Jammer, after playing that team?................I dunno......not worth the effort. Guess that is why they don't put me in charge.

Anyway, things worked out, even without Hale.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Finally got to watch a game this year. It's easy to look good against a team like Winthrop, but I liked a lot of what I saw. It was great finally to see Coleman open up and hit some shots. Also Taylor and Hall looked formidable down low. I do hope Hale heals quickly. Kessens appears to be the weakest link of our front court. Solid performance, and I'll be interested to see how we fare against a really solid Oregon team.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Another nice win for this team. The final score was not indicative of how this game went in the 2nd half. We had the lead out to 20 points on a couple of occasions and pretty much coasted the final 4-5 minutes with mostly backups. Oregon will be a big challenge for us.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have no problem at all with Saunders. What in the world did he say that ticked you off?
He didn't say anything that made me mad. He was just bad at calling the game. Sounded like Verne with how many times he called the wrong name.

Going to state something extremely obvious here - the more wins, the better. Obviously, more wins equals a shot at the tournament, but I'm looking at the players continuing to gain confidence.

Someone mentioned Hale not playing last night being a blessing in disguise. Think it really was since we saw Justin Coleman and Brandon Austin really gain some confidence. This is the type game that will help later in the season because of the added depth.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Two games in row where Alabama led in rebounds! And don't tell me it may be related to the competition...not listening...don't want to hear it...:)

I like the way the coaches have chipped away at obvious weaknesses and the team is steadily improving.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Overachieving... if any of us would have been asked if we'd have taken a 7-2 mark at this point in the season, 100% of us would have said "no way". It's a testament to Coach Johnson and the good assistants - along with a team of players that evidently are being "coachable".

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
My observations so far FWIW:
1)We lack scoring without Hale in the lineup. Hopefully we'll have him back sooner rather than later. ( I hear not medical but other issues which I won't expand on here)
2) We create and recognize when we have a mismatch on offense, then we take advantage of them now.
3)The talent level is not very good right now. We have some good players, but that is what they are is good, not dominant.
4) Our inside game has been non existent until last night. Jimmie where have you been hiding? Hopefully he'll play more like he did last night the rest of the year. If he'd just rebound on the offensive end he'd average a double double in garbage points.
5) Point guard is a problem without Ingram. Coleman did very well last night in the 2nd half, but I'm concerned about his size in the conference games.

I am very encouraged so far. I hope we get Hale back before the conference schedule starts and we'll be OK. I still think we may be a NIT team at this point. CAJ has done a masterful job this year with smoke and mirrors. When he gets a roster full of his players, we'll be a contender and be a fixture in the big dance.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
Overachieving... if any of us would have been asked if we'd have taken a 7-2 mark at this point in the season, 100% of us would have said "no way". It's a testament to Coach Johnson and the good assistants - along with a team of players that evidently are being "coachable".
This is what I was thinking. If someone had said we would start 7-2 and be 2-0 without Dazon, I would have said they were crazy. This is a phenomenal start, and while I'm sure we're going to take some knocks in conference play, this season is quickly exceeding even my (admittedly optimistic) expectations.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Very Happy with the 7-2.....my only negative, is that I wish Kessens would step up, even a little....to give us some front court depth.....

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
My observations so far FWIW:
1)We lack scoring without Hale in the lineup. Hopefully we'll have him back sooner rather than later. ( I hear not medical but other issues which I won't expand on here)
2) We create and recognize when we have a mismatch on offense, then we take advantage of them now.
3)The talent level is not very good right now. We have some good players, but that is what they are is good, not dominant.
4) Our inside game has been non existent until last night. Jimmie where have you been hiding? Hopefully he'll play more like he did last night the rest of the year. If he'd just rebound on the offensive end he'd average a double double in garbage points.
5) Point guard is a problem without Ingram. Coleman did very well last night in the 2nd half, but I'm concerned about his size in the conference games.

I am very encouraged so far. I hope we get Hale back before the conference schedule starts and we'll be OK. I still think we may be a NIT team at this point. CAJ has done a masterful job this year with smoke and mirrors. When he gets a roster full of his players, we'll be a contender and be a fixture in the big dance.
My sentiments exactly. We're playing much better than I thought we would, I never thought we'd be 7-2 at this point. My concerns are also our inside game and pg situation. I'm not sure they'll hold up in conference play. We won't have a size and talent advantage like we did against Winthorp. But,ya never know, this team has performed well above my expectations....I hope they can continue. RTR

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Very Happy with the 7-2.....my only negative, is that I wish Kessens would step up, even a little....to give us some front court depth.....
Wasn't he out the entire offseason or something? Maybe he'll come on stronger in conference play. But you're right we need him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.