Hung Jury In Freddie Gray Case (Baltimore PD)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/16/us/baltimore-police-trial-freddie-gray/index.html

Why do I suspect that if Porter was white, it would be noted in the headline and not in the final paragraph or so? Oh, that's right, black cop killing black guy isn't the race-baiting draw that 'white police officer' is now, is it?

EDITED TO ADD:
Note that based on what little I know of the case, these officers ought to all be jailed. I cannot think of any conceivable justification for taking a suspect on a joyride who is not in safety restraints (or for that matter - even if he was). Keep in mind I'm ASSUMING the accuracy of that report at this point and reserve the right to change my opinion if the facts are different than I'm aware. But seriously.....

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Would there be a protest is no cameras were pointed at protesters? Looks like the News Media CREATES News!

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/16/us/baltimore-police-trial-freddie-gray/index.html

Why do I suspect that if Porter was white, it would be noted in the headline and not in the final paragraph or so? Oh, that's right, black cop killing black guy isn't the race-baiting draw that 'white police officer' is now, is it?

EDITED TO ADD:
Note that based on what little I know of the case, these officers ought to all be jailed. I cannot think of any conceivable justification for taking a suspect on a joyride who is not in safety restraints (or for that matter - even if he was). Keep in mind I'm ASSUMING the accuracy of that report at this point and reserve the right to change my opinion if the facts are different than I'm aware. But seriously.....
I'm beginning to think that the best idea should you kill someone while in uniform is to have it go to trial. Unfortunately, an American jury is not keen on convicting police officers, guilty or not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You got to wonder if that DA, meaning probably both meanings of the abbreviation, cost the prosecution the case by creating bias and thinking it was a slam dunk case

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You got to wonder if that DA, meaning probably both meanings of the abbreviation, cost the prosecution the case by creating bias and thinking it was a slam dunk case

I think the problem is there is not enough evidence to eliminate all doubt from the juror's minds.....or at least one of them. There has to be no doubt to get a conviction.

It was pointed out - and I agree - they should have granted him immunity to testify against the others. Assuming in theory they are guilty of something - that's a whole other discussion.

Now there will be a significant delay in the re-trial. And meanwhile the other defendants' trials may start with this one unresolved.

But getting back to the protesters....I wonder if they understand the meaning of a "hung jury"? I guess this is a good excuse to get some more publicity but on the surface it seems a little ridiculous, given the circumstances.

Meanwhile Gray's family received over 6 million dollars from the city - no lawsuit or anything - just gave it to them.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This was a little tricky to prosecute because Porter was not charged for something that he did, he was prosecuted for what he didn't do. Prosecutors are deciding now whether to retry.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Officer Porter neither drove the vehicle that Gray was in nor did he load Gray into the back. I believe he observed the situation at one of the stops, notified the driver of Gray's condition but did nothing else. His 4 charges were all for failing to take action.

He's also being accused of not putting a seat belt on Gray.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
He's also being accused of not putting a seat belt on Gray.
That may be true but I believe it was after the fact, he was loaded in van and driven to 4th stop.
Here is a summary
According to authorities, Porter responded when the driver of the van carrying Gray asked for assistance to check on the prisoner. Officials say Porter asked Gray whether he needed a medic, Gray responded that he did, and Porter helped Gray onto a bench in the police van but did not call for medical assistance.

He faces charges of:

• Involuntary manslaughter

• Second-degree assault

• Misconduct in office

• Reckless endangerment

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/15/us/charges-against-baltimore-officers-freddie-gray-trials/index.html

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, okay, then I can 'sort of' see why a jury would have trouble with such a case. You're being tried for what was the result of what you didn't do when you were there although the question may turn on whether you could have done anything. (I'd figure they'd try the easiest conviction first).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, okay, then I can 'sort of' see why a jury would have trouble with such a case. You're being tried for what was the result of what you didn't do when you were there although the question may turn on whether you could have done anything. (I'd figure they'd try the easiest conviction first).
It also doesn't help that their stupid DA made a spectacle of how she was going to destroy them, and how there was a public school warning about possible riots if the jury goes the officers way. Personally a change of venue and a change of prosecution would've been better for this case. Possibly trying the cops all at one would've helped too.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The driver of the paddy wagon was just judged not guilty. This was thought to be one of the strongest cases. All other cases could be dropped in lieu of this.

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Officer Caesar Goodson, who was driving the police van inside which Freddie Gray incurred his fatal neck injury last April, has been found not guilty of second-degree “depraved heart” murder by Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams.

Goodson, 46, has also been found not guilty on charges of manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.

Goodson waived his right to a trial by jury. His bench trial began June 9 and final arguments were heard Monday.
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/...r-in-freddie-gray-case-learns-his-fate-today/

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The officers don't allege that he was thrashing himself about and injured himself. How can you not look at that evidence and at least come up with something like reckless endangerment for not securing him in the vehicle?
Apparently that was SOP until very shortly before the accident and was not being generally observed. It's not that easy securing someone who's shackled and uncooperative...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.