SPOILER ALERT - Star Wars discussion - CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK!

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
I've seen...3 times already [emoji1]
Saw it Thursday night with my two boys. Took Friday off to take one of my sons to a doctor's appointment, and we decided to go again since our daughter was with us and she hadn't seen it. Then my wife calls later in the afternoon and says she'd like to go, so we all met up after she got off work for an encore with the full EscaTider family.

Yes, I love SW almost as much as Bama football. I was really looking forward to this one after my extreme disappointment with the prequal movies. Lucas' genious has always been in the story itself- never in the screenwriting, dialog, or directing. Episode VII delivered on all points for me. Yes, there were themes that were revisited from the early films, but I believe that was more of Adams showing respect and a tip of the cap to Lucas than anything else.

It's an awseome film, and should even be enjoyable for those who don't particularly care for the franchise.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've seen...3 times already [emoji1]
Saw it Thursday night with my two boys. Took Friday off to take one of my sons to a doctor's appointment, and we decided to go again since our daughter was with us and she hadn't seen it. Then my wife calls later in the afternoon and says she'd like to go, so we all met up after she got off work for an encore with the full EscaTider family.

Yes, I love SW almost as much as Bama football. I was really looking forward to this one after my extreme disappointment with the prequal movies. Lucas' genious has always been in the story itself- never in the screenwriting, dialog, or directing. Episode VII delivered on all points for me. Yes, there were themes that were revisited from the early films, but I believe that was more of Adams showing respect and a tip of the cap to Lucas than anything else.

It's an awseome film, and should even be enjoyable for those who don't particularly care for the franchise.
The Force is definitely strong in you young Skywalker..

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I just saw it last night. It was great. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I'll probably see it again in the theater and will definitely buy it on Blu-ray.

I thought Kylo Ren was a bit lackluster, tbh. I love the villains of the Star Wars movies, but he is probably the least impressive. I hope he's better in the next one.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
I just saw it last night. It was great. It wasn't a perfect movie, but I'll probably see it again in the theater and will definitely buy it on Blu-ray.

I thought Kylo Ren was a bit lackluster, tbh. I love the villains of the Star Wars movies, but he is probably the least impressive. I hope he's better in the next one.
Kylo Ren came off as a second-rate Darth Vader wannabe... which is exactly what he was supposed to be! It'll be interesting to see which way he ultimately goes. I think he may become good before it's all over.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I enjoyed watching it. I feel like the whole point of this one was to set up the next two and that the plot of this one was basically the same as episode IV.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Kylo Ren came off as a second-rate Darth Vader wannabe... which is exactly what he was supposed to be! It'll be interesting to see which way he ultimately goes. I think he may become good before it's all over.
Abrams said as much about Ren. Unlike IV, where Vader is an established bad guy, Abrams said he wanted villain and hero to be start ups basically so you can see their evolution/growth over the course of these three.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I read a fan theory that was pretty interested. I won't link due to language. It was saying that Ren has to be bad to help bring down Snoke. I think if you search, "fan theory dad," you'll find it. It was posted by a girl whose dad came up with the theory.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I read a fan theory that was pretty interested. I won't link due to language. It was saying that Ren has to be bad to help bring down Snoke. I think if you search, "fan theory dad," you'll find it. It was posted by a girl whose dad came up with the theory.
Yah, read that the other day - it could be true, though the number of exclamation marks used automatically causes me doubt... :biggrin2:

I don't want to give Abrams too much credit, but he's a smart writer. That said, he's not writing VIII or IX so it will be interesting to see the story arc.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yah, read that the other day - it could be true, though the number of exclamation marks used automatically causes me doubt... :biggrin2:

I don't want to give Abrams too much credit, but he's a smart writer. That said, he's not writing VIII or IX so it will be interesting to see the story arc.
It seemed to me like there had to be some grander plan for it to be so similar to the original. I did like a few of the comments like, "those were the droids they were looking for..."

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
That is an interesting theory. It explains why Kylo Ren sucked at being a bad guy. I imagine the theory is partly true.
I don't think there is any hidden depth to Kylo Ren. He has a gift, but is impetuous, and seeks the easiest path. He says he struggles to fight back the light, but it's pretty clear he lacks the discipline to follow the light side, even if he has sympathy on some level. On two occasions he destroys machinery in frustration, and orders the destruction of a village of innocent people just to be nasty.

Han Solo said explicitly that Snoke is just using him for his power. I am guessing that Snoke doesn't really think much of Kylo Ren, but will be using him to feed his own force power, or immortality, or something like that.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Smoke is the new yet unofficial sith while Kylo is closer to being a dark Jedi than he is a sith. That was the impression I got when I watched the movie with some friends.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Just saw it with my boys, brother, and Dad. Loved it and was impressed by it. The surprise shocked me and I loved Finn and Rey. I'm looking forward to how the trilogy fits together.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Han Solo said explicitly that Snoke is just using him for his power. I am guessing that Snoke doesn't really think much of Kylo Ren, but will be using him to feed his own force power, or immortality, or something like that.
I think this point was solidified when the general twice made Kylo look inept in front of Snoke.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.