Coach Saban closing in.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
1975 (11-1 loss to Missouri in season opener finished #3 in polls)
I remember this game, I was 8, it was in the late evening, and I could not believe we list it. Blew my mind.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The world was a different place back then. Today the media and public would be ripping CPB for his alcohol consumption and smoking - talking about how poor a role model he was. I am a nostalgic man, but I recognize that the good old days were not as good as they seem looking back.
Coach Bryant was a true mans man. He was the kind of man who could walk into a room with Presidents and have everyone's attention. He was- is a role model as far as I'm concerned. The media of today can't handle Coach Saban and they sure couldn't handle Coach Bryant.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Bryant was a true mans man. He was the kind of man who could walk into a room with Presidents and have everyone's attention. He was- is a role model as far as I'm concerned. The media of today can't handle Coach Saban and they sure couldn't handle Coach Bryant.
A positive is the media, believe it or not, but the real players in the media have done a 360 on coach Saban since 2012, it took a long time, but the consensus is that he is a great coach, a good honest man with morals. They found every little thing to nit pick about him when he got here, the grey shirts, medical scholarships, the text book scandal, where his wins were vacated. But now? Now they look at his body of work and have respect. Coach Saban could make a living as a inspirational speaker to fortune 500 companies. He has a lot of powerful people in his corner now that speak out if some pleb talks untruths about him. Derrick Henry summed up nicely how the players feel about him

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
There is no question that Spurrier is a top 5 SEC coach off all time, Saban is better, but we should not diminish everyone that is lessor. I think he would have won more NC's at Florida if he had not had to build an entire culture first. If you can criticize Spurrier at Flroida, then everyone is open for criticism, he owned and reshaped the league for a decade. My mother went to school with Charley Pell, he and Galen Hall left the program in tatters. Coach Bryant had the for-site to put on record that Florida had a lot of potential with recruiting and the great location. He was right.
Spurrier had multiple teams at Florida that could've went on to win the NC..Spurrier biggest problem he caused his teams with the QB's from what I remember..When one would falter a lil bit he would yank them & put the next one up..I never agreed with Spurrier doing his QB's like he did at times..That's just me though..Spurrier was the man for a time in college football, but, he never reached the consistent domination of college football Coach Saban is currently at..Had he won more than one NC I would agree with ya & I'm not trying to diminish Spurrier at all..His had trouble finishing seasons by winning the NC more than once..Coach Saban's teams finishes the season more times than not when we we're in the NC hunt..You have your opinion & respect that..Just don't agree with ya..

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Spurrier had multiple teams at Florida that could've went on to win the NC..Spurrier biggest problem he caused his teams with the QB's from what I remember..When one would falter a lil bit he would yank them & put the next one up..I never agreed with Spurrier ding his QB's like he did at times..That's just me though..Spurrier was the man for a time in college football, but, he never reached the consistent domination of college football Coach Saban is currently at..Had he won more than one NC I would agree with ya & Im not trying to diminish Spurrier at all..His had trouble finishing seasons by winning the NC more than once..Coach Saban's teams finishes the season more times than not when we were in the NC hunt..You have your opinion & respect that..Just don't agree with ya..
That is very accurate. It was like he was wanted them to be him on the field, and would yank if they weren't. Wuerffel was probably the only one that he truly believed in. I agree, his ego got in the way, it made him great and hurt him, even today. When he stepped down, his player were too young to even remember him coaching at Florida, that is how much time had gone by.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Spurrier had multiple teams at Florida that could've went on to win the NC..Spurrier biggest problem he caused his teams with the QB's from what I remember..When one would falter a lil bit he would yank them & put the next one up..I never agreed with Spurrier doing his QB's like he did at times..That's just me though..Spurrier was the man for a time in college football, but, he never reached the consistent domination of college football Coach Saban is currently at..Had he won more than one NC I would agree with ya & I'm not trying to diminish Spurrier at all..His had trouble finishing seasons by winning the NC more than once..Coach Saban's teams finishes the season more times than not when we we're in the NC hunt..You have your opinion & respect that..Just don't agree with ya..
I think CSS propensity to yank qbs hurt his teams too. I think he did less with more. Reminds me what they used to say about Coach Bryant: "He could take yours and beat his..." (or something like that)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Spurrier is a good coach, but you have to remember that the SEC he dominated was really the weakest its been at any time since Bryant arrived--even with winning three titles in that decade. A western team won the SECCG twice--Bama in 92 and 99. The west was an utter mess. Alabama and Auburn were on probation. LSU was still the pre-Saban terrible LSU. Ole Miss and Miss St were only slightly better than Arkansas. The winner of the Tennessee Florida game basically won the conference. It was so bad that there was a strong possibility that an 10-1 Florida State team would get a rematch with Miami over a 12-0 Alabama team. Can you imagine that happening now?
Was that 1994?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
When Saban was asked if he could see himself coaching anywhere other than Alabama, he replied to ESPN’s Chris Low, “No, I really don’t. I don’t see it ever happening …”
“I think a lot of it isn’t just about the coaching part. What people don’t understand is they forget you’re a person. They forget you have a wife and two kids and a grandbaby, and they all live in Birmingham. “They all work here. My wife goes to Birmingham five times a week. My mom lives in Birmingham now after moving from Myrtle Beach. It’s not just the job. A lot of people don’t get that. My life is here.”

Didn't think it would hurt to put this here in this thread rather than adding another.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...here-but-alabama-i-dont-ever-see-it-happening

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Not trying to be contrarian, I simply disagree with you. National perception is nebulous regarding such things. For the most part they are unaware of details pertaining to historical matters, especially something as trivial as college football.

IMO, Neyland won one NC. His "other 3" were not recognized by the wire services which is how most of the nation, including me, count them from the start of the wire service era which began in 1936. If we are going to count NCs in a way that would give Neyland 4, then Bama has about 26 or 27. Even the most obnoxious Bama probably doesn't claim that many. I don't even count the one from '41, thus IMO, Bama has 14 not 15.

Gotta admire the nerve of anyone calling calling college football trivial . . . especially on this site.
:wink:

For the sake of clarity, the above is meant as a joke. Kidding aside, this has been a really good discussion. Kudos to all.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.