For fun - looking back at Henry's recruitment

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah, I wanted to look through it to see if I had made some boneheaded comments, but I gave up when I realized how long the thread was. But clicking through a few of the pages had me shaking my head. Some of the comments were quite hilarious when you think about how they are referring to a future Heisman winner that would break Hershel Walker's rushing record. Then there were a few that also said he would be great. It just goes to show that recruiting is truly hit or miss. But we hit it out of the park on this one. Or I should say, Derrick Henry hit it out of the park.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
looks like padreruf nailed it in the last page of the thread

I cannot believe what I am reading here. Do you realize what a unique athlete he is? No, he will not be a 5 yd a carry grinder with straight away speed. He has the potential to be the best back Alabama has ever had. Rare combination of speed, agility, and size/power. If Eddie Lacey could teach him the spin move (he may already have it) he will be incredible. This is "Bo Jackson-like" in talent...

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
There was a guy on another site and he went on and on one week that he wasn't fast enough to be a big time RB. That very week was the week where I think he had about a 90 yard run. LOL

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I was actually on the side of why wouldn't he want to be an LB based on how the NFL currently values the positions. LB's have longer average careers and a good pass rushing OLB or cover will typically get a higher salary now than an RB will. Plus, there is simply more opportunity at LB.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Loved this one from RTR91, as well. Funny as always-

You know what I smell? An attempt by the AJC to make Bama and CNS look bad. I bet those folks conspired with Henry and Ramsay to make it seem like Saban told Henry he'd play RB and then a week before NSD Henry will flip back to UGA and say CNS lied to him.

Gah, this tin foil hat sure does itch when I wear it. The Aub at work said it was comfortable. He was wrong.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I was actually on the side of why wouldn't he want to be an LB based on how the NFL currently values the positions. LB's have longer average careers and a good pass rushing OLB or cover will typically get a higher salary now than an RB will. Plus, there is simply more opportunity at LB.
Cause kids love to tote the rock, and their mommas love it when they tote the rock.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think I even participated in that thread.

I will say this though, I think Henry evolved some. Early in the season I was saying he wasn't playing like a power back, and by that I meant sometimes it seemed like he would try to make the extra cut to avoid contact, vs. just taking the yards they gave him.

I might have been flat wrong, perhaps that was just my imagination... as the season progressed, the Henry that emerged was the definition of a power back, that's for sure. The Florida game was as good an example as any. They were giving him nothing, and he just took a few yards every carry no matter what.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't think it was off base to question if Henry would ever be a top flight running back. His actual skill level and footwork were less than stellar when he started. In high school he took a lot of wildcat snaps and just ran through everyone and he did enough of that in practice to convince Saban he had the ability. Of all the star RB's he showed less promise in his early carries. But all that changed when he torched Oklahoma, from then all we knew he was special and Henry got better seemingly ever week from there.

As a side note I do believe he has a wildcat package just in case. We probably won't see it because Coker is such a threat to uncork one at any point, but you never know.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.