Alabama too good for excuses this time.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
But anyone with the ability to Google should be skeptical of Saban’s version of events because it is clearly contradicted by, well, Saban himself.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...college-football-playoff-nick-saban/77772348/

There is a lot of room to argue in this article. One is that he lumps the Utah loss in with other losses. I remember very well Coach Saban saying right up to the Utah game that Alabama was not focused and we had better take them seriously. Paraphrased, but that is what he said. One reason I remember that is because a fellow at work the day after the game was mad at Coach Saban for not having "Alabama ready to play." I asked him if he even kept up with football. All he preached for two weeks what that our team had better get serious.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Dan Wolken? The same guy who during the Ole Miss game Tweeted, "Feels like if Ole Miss punches this in, not only is the GAME AND SEASON OVER for Alabama but a whole lot more?"

What's HIS excuse for missing by a mile, huh? Was he drunk? Or just stupid?

We've gone from dead in September to the best team in Wolken's mind (what else can you call his narrative?) - and a guy who was saying one thing three months ago writes a column contradicting himself where he complains about Saban.....contradicting himself?

Hypocrisy anyone?

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
This blog write Dan Wolken has no love Bama based on some of his earlier stuff. Does Gannett also own the Bham News?
No ... back to the topic tho, Wolken is trying to get clicks period. Doesn't make for good journalism, but it does stir the pot with some folks that don't know better like several have pointed out in this thread.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I could be wrong, but I think the point of this story is to make the writer look like a genius if Bama does win the NC. And if they lose, well there is no excuse for it and something or somebody better be held accountable.

It's that old say something nice but in reality, it's not so nice.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Don't read this guy, but the headline is accurate. Alabama has the best team in the playoff, and it isn't close. You need to win it all this year or there will be a lot of questions asked. Fair or not, that is what happens when you stay on top this long - people begin to ask questions when you can't finish. They all recognize the truth - the best team doesn't always win - but it won't matter.

Win it all and shut them up.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Don't read this guy, but the headline is accurate. Alabama has the best team in the playoff, and it isn't close. You need to win it all this year or there will be a lot of questions asked. Fair or not, that is what happens when you stay on top this long - people begin to ask questions when you can't finish. They all recognize the truth - the best team doesn't always win - but it won't matter.

Win it all and shut them up.
Dan Wolken is a moron and I won't read his material.

JMO, but I think you are dead wrong on this. We may be the best overall team, with for sure the best unit on a team - our DL. However, if we are the best overall team, it's not by that much. I think we drew the most favorable match up in the first round with Michigan State as I believe they are a slow team, without the athleticism to beat us - most of the time. But they are still very capable of beating us. OU and Clemson run the right type of offenses to negate our awesome DL and put more pressure on our secondary. They are more than capable of beating us. All 3 teams in the playoff also have defenses that are capable of slowing down our offense enough to put even more pressure on our defense.

We are the best team in this playoff, but it's nowhere near a runaway. JMO.

tidegrandpa

All-American

JMO, but I think you are dead wrong on this. We may be the best overall team, with for sure the best unit on a team - our DL. However, if we are the best overall team, it's not by that much. I think we drew the most favorable match up in the first round with Michigan State as I believe they are a slow team, without the athleticism to beat us - most of the time. But they are still very capable of beating us. OU and Clemson run the right type of offenses to negate our awesome DL and put more pressure on our secondary. They are more than capable of beating us. All 3 teams in the playoff also have defenses that are capable of slowing down our offense enough to put even more pressure on our defense.

When I see crap like this, I foresee 2 scenarios, he's a analyst of we win, he's got a built in subject matter about a column about our disappointing showing if we lose, either way it's a column.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Read that article while sitting down to breakfast at the Renaissance in Montgomery this morning. I almost lost my breakfast reading that garbage. Natty's are not promise to anyone. Any team can be beaten on any day. Look at the NFL the best team does not all ways win.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Read that article while sitting down to breakfast at the Renaissance in Montgomery this morning. I almost lost my breakfast reading that garbage. Natty's are not promise to anyone. Any team can be beaten on any day. Look at the NFL the best team does not all ways win.
exactly. we may have the most talent, but in college football it's not always the team with the most talent that wins. maybe most of the time, but you have those games where emotion take over and causes a game to go either way.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Could not agree more. OU and Clemson both are a threat with their penetrating D's and diverse O's, especially OU with 2 terrific RBs and a very good QB who can make every throw and run with quickness and elusiveness. If OU falls it will probably be because of their OL which improved during the season. Even MSU, the best matchup for Bama, can win if they bring their A game and Bama doesn't.

It is interesting that now the narrative by many is that it's Bama's to lose when earlier some of the same were questioning why Bama was rated so high, always got a pass, etc.

Last edited:

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Anybody in this playoff is capable of winning it all...simple as that. If we win, it'll be because of preparation, talent and will.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Any time you're dealing with the top four teams it's wide open -- it's one game, not a seven game series. Bama is the favorite for a reason but any of the four teams could easily win it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dan Wolken? The same guy who during the Ole Miss game Tweeted, "Feels like if Ole Miss punches this in, not only is the GAME AND SEASON OVER for Alabama but a whole lot more?"

What's HIS excuse for missing by a mile, huh? Was he drunk? Or just stupid?

We've gone from dead in September to the best team in Wolken's mind (what else can you call his narrative?) - and a guy who was saying one thing three months ago writes a column contradicting himself where he complains about Saban.....contradicting himself?

Hypocrisy anyone?
Oh, I've got more hypocrisy for you...

Then, he writes this column after the SEC Championship Game and tweets the link with this tease: "Column: The SEC slipped into mediocrity this season. Is Alabama prepared for the playoff?"

Here are some exerts from the column:

We used to know that the SEC champion was primed to win the national title because, for the most part, we understood the gauntlet the league's best had to survive. When Steve Spurrier talked about winning an SEC championship being harder than winning a national championship, he wasn't wrong.

But after seeing this collection of teams Alabama has emerged from this season, it no longer rings true. Florida, a team without a functional quarterback, offensive line or field goal kicker, was the best the East had to offer. The West offered up an Ole Miss team that got waxed by Memphis, an Arkansas team that lost to Toledo and an LSU team whose quarterback problems ran almost as deep as Florida's.

We know as little about Alabama coming out of the SEC as we ever have.
The truth is, this was a bad football game that revealed little more than the same brand of stale football and poor quarterback play the SEC has displayed all season. Last year it was written off as merely a product of Alabama dominance — until the Crimson Tide got to the playoff and lost to Ohio State.

Now this is bordering on a real problem for the league. It's not Alabama's fault, but there was simply nobody in this league that offered legitimate preparation for the likes of Oklahoma or Clemson.
Maybe Alabama will be good enough to overcome it. But for the first time in a decade, the perception now is that the SEC champion's toughest tests are in front of it rather than in the rear-view mirror.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.