Targeting calls are out of control

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Seems like every game a player gets called for targeting and gets ejected from the game. Very seldom, IMO, is the targeting penalty officiated correctly. Below is a video example from the UCLA-Nebraska game tonight. The defender who made the tackle was ejected for targeting. It was reviewed and upheld. Unbelievable. There will be a call like this in the playoffs. Just be prepared for it..

https://vimeo.com/150086632

Was watching the game last night when this happened and I just turned it off…disgusted.

The referees/NCAA are afraid of future litigation…it's a sad state of affairs/sign of the times.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Don't disagree that much with the call on the field. Happens fast, receiver's head snapped back, angle wasn't great, etc. The system is supposed to be, if it is close, call it on the field and let the replay official with super slo mo and numerous angles figure it out. Problem is those replay officials in the booth under this system. Maybe it should be handled at the league level like in hockey.

But I agree with all those who say they are ruining football. The fun police will eventually kill it. Maybe it won't happen in my lifetime.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Someone, the ACC officials, need to or should be required to apologize to that Nebraska player! Now, what if we lose a key player on Thursday night on a similar play? May I ask who the officials are for our game with MSU? Are THEY from the ACC?

I guess we are just getting closer to two-hand touch coed college football!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Saw the play as it happened. Can't believe it was confirmed much less upheld. If this fiasco doesn't constitute a complete and total revamp of this rule it's only a matter of time before football as we know it becomes basketball on grass. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for protecting the players but the rule as it reads was definitely violated with this episode and it killed a players opportunity to compete in A BOWL GAME!

COME ON MANNnnnnnnn!!!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have wondered this: If the Nebraska HC had told the official "we are not playing another down until the replay official is replaced" and called his team to the sideline. What would have happened? Would the ref keep calling delay of game? Woud he start the play anyway with only the Offense on the field? In a case like this where the replay official is clearly and Idiot it might be worth it just to see what would happen.

Lets just say it did happen and the ref started the play without a D on the field and UCLA scored. What would happen then?

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Why does the ball carrier get to stiff arm on the face mask but the tackler or blocker gets a hand in the face penalty? Why does the ball carrier get to lower his helmet and crash headlong into the tackler without a spearing penalty?
Makes no sense to me either, BUT... I love to see Big Henry Stiff Arm some wanna-be tackler on his way for six...
In the last few years football has shifted with more rules favoring the Offense. I'd like to see em balance out and give the Defense a little more opportunity to play football. The game has gone too far in the direction of Flag Football.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is the only thing I can imagine they saw, hat to hat. Even that looks to be incidental, not intentional.
That's why the rule needs to be tweaked somehow - according to the wording, any helmet to helmet can be construed s targeting, when in reality is happens multiple times on multiple plays.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
If anything, it looked as if the receiver lowered his head and initiated the helmet contact. I'm not faulting him. I think it was a natural reaction when he saw the hit coming...
Yup..If they're going to be this strict on tackles, when a defender uses proper technique when making a tackle like in this video & the WR initiates helmet to helmet contact by lowering his head, it's only fair to eject the offensive player as well..There's is nothing the defender can do to avoid that other than just let the WR go on without touching him..

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
As others have mentioned, the original call is not the problem. The problem is the review official can't watch in slow mo and get it right.
Unbelievable.

We see a few terrible calls every year but this year has been filled with bad calls that were upheld after review.
Looks to me like the replay officials don't want to make the field crew look bad, so any time they can they just uphold the call on the field. I thought they were in the booth to make sure they made the correct call. Krymsonman

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have wondered this: If the Nebraska HC had told the official "we are not playing another down until the replay official is replaced" and called his team to the sideline. What would have happened? Would the ref keep calling delay of game? Woud he start the play anyway with only the Offense on the field? In a case like this where the replay official is clearly and Idiot it might be worth it just to see what would happen.

Lets just say it did happen and the ref started the play without a D on the field and UCLA scored. What would happen then?
Continued refusal to compete would result in a forfeit...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I like the rule and think that it helps the sport far more than it harms the sport. There are some poor applications of the rule, but they generally get it right.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I like the rule and think that it helps the sport far more than it harms the sport. There are some poor applications of the rule, but they generally get it right.
I think everyone is for player safety but there can't be a rule that results in a player ejection that's this ambiguous. An offensive player can be deemed "defenseless" if he's not looking at where the hit from a defensive player is coming from. So a defensive player can be ejected based on which way the offensive player is looking. That's completely illogical..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think everyone is for player safety but there can't be a rule that results in a player ejection that's this ambiguous. An offensive player can be deemed "defenseless" if he's not looking at where the hit from a defensive player is coming from. So a defensive player can be ejected based on which way the offensive player is looking. That's completely illogical..
So, if it is possible for the ref to get it wrong the rule should be tossed?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So, if it is possible for the ref to get it wrong the rule should be tossed?
Not sure how you came up with that response. Ambiguous means open to more than one interpretation. So yes they should toss the rule if it leads to player ejection and the rule is not clearly defined. My suggestion would be to get rid of the "defenseless" part of the rule since that is purely opinion based and only have an ejection when a player (quite frankly offensive or defensive player) leads with the crown of the helmet - crown means top of the helmet not side or front of the helmet. JMO..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think that it is fine as written. I see this as a human issue, not a rule issue. Holding rules are very clear and applied differently from one official to the next.
But holding rules don't result in player ejection..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is an agree to disagree issue, as we aren't even on the same planet in the way we see this.
Not trying to change your mind. Football is a dangerous game that kills people. To save the sport we are going to have to continue in this direction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.