Targeting calls are out of control

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So you're fine with just accepting garbage officiating? Don't want to bother trying to fix it?
I want to fix the problem, which is not the rule. You guys hate the rule. We are talking past one another.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So you're fine with just accepting garbage officiating? Don't want to bother trying to fix it?
That was the purpose of bringing up this discussion. It wasn't just about this one play. Similar targeting calls to this one (although not as bad) have happened in way to many games this year. Imagine if Ragland got ejected on a call like this during the 2nd half of the Michigan State game. He would have to sit out the 2nd half of the Michigan State game and the first half of the national championship game. Way to much on the line for these calls to be missed so badly..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I want to fix the problem, which is not the rule. You guys hate the rule. We are talking past one another.
No. You're solely reading what you want to read. The rule as written causes some problems. The bigger problem so many of us have is a clean tackle that is taught but appears to be a hard hit gets flagged. And for some unknown reason the replay official doesn't overturn the targeting call.

That's our problem.

And if the problem isn't the rule or the enforcement. What is it?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
No. You're solely reading what you want to read. The rule as written causes some problems. The bigger problem so many of us have is a clean tackle that is taught but appears to be a hard hit gets flagged. And for some unknown reason the replay official doesn't overturn the targeting call.

That's our problem.

I do think the rule needs to be tweaked, but I agree with B1G here. I don't think he ever said there wasn't a problem with the enforcement (at least the enforcement on the specific instance), or that the refs (especially the replay ref) were right. It was a missed call. They do happen.

I fully expect (and hope for) some changes to an emphasis, and some guidance based on this play, but no drastic changes to the rule itself.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Those of you saying the replay officials blew the call, were you watching the game and listening to the broadcast as well? According to the talking head(s) on the broadcast, the replay officials were only allowed to either confirm or overrule whether there was indeed contact about the head and shoulders. They were not allowed to look at the play in it's entirety and make a ruling as to whether it should have been flagged as targeting. That's the problem. If you're going to allow review you have to allow review of the play in it's entirety. There was no doubt contact was made about the shoulders but, at the same time, there was no doubt it should have not been targeting. The rule needs to be changed so that the review portion is not artificially limited.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Those of you saying the replay officials blew the call, were you watching the game and listening to the broadcast as well? According to the talking head(s) on the broadcast, the replay officials were only allowed to either confirm or overrule whether there was indeed contact about the head and shoulders. They were not allowed to look at the play in it's entirety and make a ruling as to whether it should have been flagged as targeting. That's the problem. If you're going to allow review you have to allow review of the play in it's entirety. There was no doubt contact was made about the shoulders but, at the same time, there was no doubt it should have not been targeting. The rule needs to be changed so that the review portion is not artificially limited.
The replay official can overrule the targeting call on the field. It happened to Ryan Anderson earlier this season. Last season all the replay officials could do was overturn the ejection but not the 15 yard penalty. This season, if the replay official rules that it was not targeting, then the 15 yard penalty and the ejection are overturned..

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Didn't watch the particular game. I do watch plenty of football, though. I've never heard that before. I've only seen a replay official confirm or reverse a targeting call.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
The replay official can overrule the targeting call on the field. It happened to Ryan Anderson earlier this season..
Only if they determine there was not helmet to helmet contact or contact about the head and shoulders. I'm paraphrasing exactly what the referee analyst on that broadcast was saying for the entire five minutes we were waiting on the call to come back from the booth. He specifically stated numerous times the replay officials were not allowed to change the judgement of the call, only whether there was said contact. Don't know why he would lie about that on national television.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
I think the main problem is being overlooked, especially in the last few back and forth posts per this thread. The problem is a kid is getting kicked out of the game for playing football. A 15 yard penalty is one thing (big deal can make that up). But throwing a kid out of a game when a play is seen by multiple refs in a warm press box and makes a call to obviously take up for the Refs on the field call is ridiculous. I love all the kids that play this sport and think it takes very little common sense to know if a kid is targeting by choice or not! Especially when we have replay! The kicking a kid out of the game is the part that gets me furious.....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

That's our problem.

I said it was the officials. Seems pretty clear

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would say it's just about guaranteed that there will be a player ejectected for targeting during the Alabama vs Michigan State game. Both teams are to physical and hit to hard for how the game is being officiated now..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Good replay overturn of a targeting call on the field against Baylor. Just a really good clean hit..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.