Targeting calls are out of control

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Another really weak targeting call and the North Carolina player gets ejected. Really bad call IMO..

Lassr4Bama

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Hazel Green, AL
Helmets made contact, no way they were going to overturn that one. It was an unnecessary hard block. He could have put out his hands and pushed him. I hate the call but I understand wanting to eliminate those types of hits.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Though I believe this borders on one of the worst calls in all of college football :wink:, I have noticed more proper enforcement of the rule and/or correct overturning of the targeting rule than egregious enforcement this season. I remember being quietly surprised Reggie was not flagged for a hit on a defenseless player when he darn near de-cleated Malcolm Mitchell in the Georgia game. Also was quietly surprised when Gary praised the play as a good clean hit (which it absolutely was). Anyway, I guess I'm saying that we shouldn't be so gloom and doom about us getting one of these calls on Thursday, because we don't want our guys worrying about something like that to affect the way they play. Hit them clean, but him them hard.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Though I believe this borders on one of the worst calls in all of college football :wink:, I have noticed more proper enforcement of the rule and/or correct overturning of the targeting rule than egregious enforcement this season. I remember being quietly surprised Reggie was not flagged for a hit on a defenseless player when he darn near de-cleated Malcolm Mitchell in the Georgia game. Also was quietly surprised when Gary praised the play as a good clean hit (which it absolutely was). Anyway, I guess I'm saying that we shouldn't be so gloom and doom about us getting one of these calls on Thursday, because we don't want our guys worrying about something like that to affect the way they play. Hit them clean, but him them hard.
Yea I agree but do you think the play in the OP should have been called targeting and then upheld by the replay official? Plays like that being called targeting are the issue and I've seen a couple called today in the same vein..

Last edited:

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Yea I agree but do you think the play in the OP should have been called targeting and then upheld by the replay official? Plays like being called targeting are the issue and I've seen a couple called today in the same vein..
No I do not think it should have even been flagged nor upheld. I just hadn't personally seen enough bad targeting calls and bad reviews to think there was need to overhaul the rule. Not that there hasn't been, but I just hadn't seen that many myself to agree with that particular vantage point. I do not disagree with what you are saying though. I believe that 10 guilty men should go free before one innocent man be locked up. Therefore, I'd rather have 10 plays that should have been targeting go uncalled than one player get ejected for playing good tough nosed football.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Couldn't tell - not at home on the big screen. But based on this picture I agree. I don't see how if we can do these screen grabs that are so obvious how they refuse to overturn these calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Why don't they eject the quarterback on these type of plays? The defensive players are just doing what their supposed to do; it's the quarterback that is setting up his players to be leveled.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
WOW! Another blown reversal taking a bowl game participant opportunity away. If this rule is not revisited and totally overhauled the NCAA should be sued. This is BEYOND RIDICULOUS!!!
It literally affects the game. I'm not pulling for Louisville, but thankfully this loss of a big-time secondary player doesn't appear to be affecting their ability to win the game...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.