Targeting calls are out of control

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Seems like every game a player gets called for targeting and gets ejected from the game. Very seldom, IMO, is the targeting penalty officiated correctly. Below is a video example from the UCLA-Nebraska game tonight. The defender who made the tackle was ejected for targeting. It was reviewed and upheld. Unbelievable. There will be a call like this in the playoffs. Just be prepared for it..

https://vimeo.com/150086632

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Saw it as it happened. And it's disgusting. That's textbook "heads up" training. Every training video that they send us to teach kids how to tackle, every coaching clinic I've attended the last 5 years on that topic, shows tackling EXACTLY like that

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Where is the targeting on that?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
The sad part is that all targeting calls are reviewed and the call was reviewed and upheld. That's what is the most troubling part of it - they can't even get it right on the replay..

Last edited:

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
How in the world was that upheld? Wow. I'm going to go nuts if something like that happens against us

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
100% agree with Greg on this. These 2 issues not only need to be discussed but there needs to be changes made.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Not only did the call stand, it was confirmed.

As in, the review ref thought the replay showed the call was clearly right.

I don't see how they could make that call, but they did,

Regarding McElroy's tweet, I've heard from a prominent announcer that even the refs want OL downfield changed. They admit they can't adequately enforce the rule, and think that some coaches are taking advantage of that. Shocking, I know.

Problem is, whether it was always technically so or not, as a practical matter coaches used to have final say on the rules. That's no longer the case. The final authorities on rules are administrators (ADs and conference commissioners) and Presidents who know that they can't compete without effectively legalizing OL downfield.

Without that ability to compete, they can't generate the revenue needed to pay for the facilities, stadiums and coaches for which they've hocked their futures.

Remember....last year, the coaches voted for the 1-yard rule on OL downfield. The pointy-heads took the gutless way out, by tabling the motion. Doing that, they effectively killed it without voting on it, thereby keeping their hands clean.

No surprise there. But in doing so, they just confirmed their lack of anything approaching honorable convictions to anyone caring enough to take note.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The only thing I can think of is that they were emphasizing the "defenseless" aspect of the rule. Hell, that happens every time the ball carrier is looking the other way...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Seems like every game a player gets called for targeting and gets ejected from the game. Very seldom, IMO, is the targeting penalty officiated correctly. Below is a video example from the UCLA-Nebraska game tonight. The defender who made the tackle was ejected for targeting. It was reviewed and upheld. Unbelievable. There will be a call like this in the playoffs. Just be prepared for it..

https://vimeo.com/150086632
Maybe they should put anti collision beepers in the helmets "Go high" "Go Low" so they can guess what the other guy is going to do. The players are not doing what ESPN celebrated 4 years ago, but if a player is not without a doubt trying to hurt a defenseless player, let it go. And soften up that artificial grass.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.