Why so many blocks in the back?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
With about 3 minutes left in the game Miami scored on a short running play. An OBVIOUS block in the back took the TD back and cost Miami the game. This was not a block in the side, it was clearly in the back of the back. I see so many block in the backs that it makes me what is going on. I understand that a player can get confused (maybe) about where the line is on hitting out of bounds and other penalties that could be complicated ..... BUT HOW CAN YOU JUST PUSH SOMEONE IN THE BACK? How is there any excuse for that? We evidently have players who can't tell the front of a person from the back. :mad2::eek2::rolleyes::eek::frown:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
With about 3 minutes left in the game Miami scored on a short running play. An OBVIOUS block in the back took the TD back and cost Miami the game. This was not a block in the side, it was clearly in the back of the back. I see so many block in the backs that it makes me what is going on. I understand that a player can get confused (maybe) about where the line is on hitting out of bounds and other penalties that could be complicated ..... BUT HOW CAN YOU JUST PUSH SOMEONE IN THE BACK? How is there any excuse for that? We evidently have players who can't tell the front of a person from the back. :mad2::eek2::rolleyes::eek::frown:
On punt returns they really bother me. I don't know if guys get frustrated because they are about to get a bock and the other guy is faster than the blocker thought, so, as he runs past the blocker, he just blocks him anyway, in the back. Bama has some potentially dangerous punt returners, but if you are going to block in the back, we might as well just not block at all and fair catch every punt. If you cannot get your head on the front side of the guy you are trying to block, just don't block him. Seems simple.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
On punt returns they really bother me. I don't know if guys get frustrated because they are about to get a bock and the other guy is faster than the blocker thought, so, as he runs past the blocker, he just blocks him anyway, in the back. Bama has some potentially dangerous punt returners, but if you are going to block in the back, we might as well just not block at all and fair catch every punt. If you cannot get your head on the front side of the guy you are trying to block, just don't block him. Seems simple.
It's one of the penalties I'd run them to death for if I were coach.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I would really like to see statistics on just punt returns that get called/moved back for blocks in the back. I have reached the point where I almost expect to see something flagged. And we know the officiating hasn't been top notch the last several years so it must be pretty blatant for it to get caught (in most cases).

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I would really like to see statistics on just punt returns that get called/moved back for blocks in the back. I have reached the point where I almost expect to see something flagged. And we know the officiating hasn't been top notch the last several years so it must be pretty blatant for it to get caught (in most cases).
Me too, but at least I can sort of understand a punt return when the return is on and everyone running the same direction and then the receiving team suddenly turning around and trying to block. I can see that is complicated. BUT when your running back is on the five yard line with no one in front of him and your blocker runs up and pushes someone in the back who is no threat to you ..... duh. Pushed him right in the back. duh.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I've never understood why there are so many blocks in the back on K-O returns and punt returns. It's just lack of discipline, I think.

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I will never understand why someone does this. Seems so incredibly simple. Would seem correctable right? Yet it happens time after time after time.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Personally, I think this is something that we've had issues with for a while. IMO, the outrageous number of block in the back calls in 2009 cost Javy the return record. I think he finished 30 or 20 yards short? We had like 3 in the Va Tech opener alone that year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.