News Article: Why Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin may not get enough credit

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Great article on explaining why we use jet sweep a lot. I guess I can understand why we did it. We've got better at it as season went on. I think I can see why Kiffin wanted to come back next year, to be able to show different offense, and show that he can adjust to fit any scheme. Want to bet that Kiffin tweaked the offense again for the playoff?

Hit It here

"I don't think Lane Kiffin gets enough credit for the way that he calls plays," former Auburn center and current AL.com and ESPN college football analyst Cole Cubelic said. "I don't think he gets enough credit for the way he manages personnel. I don't think he gets enough credit for the way that he motions guys and exchanges personnel and exchanges looks. All those things play in to making it very difficult on a defense to key in on certain things."
Kiffin watched film with both Herman and Patterson and listened as, for example, Herman explained the benefit of a play such as the jet sweep — where a wide receiver comes in motion and catches a short shovel pass from the quarterback.
Alabama has run that play consistently this season.
Kiffin views Alabama's offense as "a combination of things."
"I think as you watch us, one time, we may be in I-formation, 1970 [style], and all of a sudden we're in empty [with five wide receivers and no running backs] or there's motions coming from everywhere and stuff," Kiffin said. "So what we've really done is just kind of take stuff we've seen over time, stuff we've done before or stuff I did before at other places, what they've done here before. ... We've just kind of collected everything."
The offense could change again if he does return.Graduate transfer quarterback Dakota Prukop visited Alabama earlier this month before deciding to transfer to Oregon.
During the visit, Kiffin showed Prukop film of Alabama's offense, told him about the style of offense the Tide would like to transition to and how a quarterback with Prukop's dual-threat ability would fit well into that offense.
"I think [Kiffin] does a great job of calling plays that really play to the strengths of our offense and the strengths of each guy individually," Coker said. "He finds matchups that are favorable, and his play calling has really made things a lot easier on us."

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Had to laugh a little when I read this:

Another strength of Alabama's offense? Mississippi State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz said in November that Kiffin does a "great job of trying to find, let's just say your least-willing tacklers."

"If you have one guy that likes to do a lot of things except for tackling, they do a great job schematically making sure that he's going to have to tackle, especially a guy [like Henry] that's 240 pounds," Diaz said.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I always thought that Diaz said that back in November as a "question your manhood" motivational moment for his corners and safeties...and sure enough we were able to show that weakness a few times in that game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I always thought that Diaz said that back in November as a "question your manhood" motivational moment for his corners and safeties...and sure enough we were able to show that weakness a few times in that game.
Saban pretty much confirmed it when he was on the SEC Network show Film Room. He commented that the Tennessee CB was left unblocked on Henry's game winning score. When David Greene asked why, Saban said "We want a corner trying to tackle number two."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban pretty much confirmed it when he was on the SEC Network show Film Room. He commented that the Tennessee CB was left unblocked on Henry's game winning score. When David Greene asked why, Saban said "We want a corner trying to tackle number two."
And this is luxury you have in the numbers game when you have a tailback like Henry. Now some teams have DBs who like to get their nose dirty and tackle well. LSU tried similar kind of isolations on our corners and safeties for Fournette but when challenged they brought the wood.

The interesting thing about Sparty is that generally they're loading up with 8 or 9 in the box and it makes it hard to get em all blocked. Generally their front seems game to tackle, wonder if Kiffin has some candidates to isolate?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And this is luxury you have in the numbers game when you have a tailback like Henry. Now some teams have DBs who like to get their nose dirty and tackle well. LSU tried similar kind of isolations on our corners and safeties for Fournette but when challenged they brought the wood.

The interesting thing about Sparty is that generally they're loading up with 8 or 9 in the box and it makes it hard to get em all blocked. Generally their front seems game to tackle, wonder if Kiffin has some candidates to isolate?
Like a lot of other teams, they will be determined to make us prove that Coker can beat them. We'll be doing the same and going for Cook on every play, legally, I hope, in order to make them prove that his shoulder is sound enough to play. (I don't think it is.) Their boards are doing a lot of whistling past the graveyard just now - lot of bravado...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Calhoun is a bit undersized for a DE, so they may test the left side on the run...but he's got a knack for not letting people get a good block on him. Sometimes being small works to your advantage even in run defense if the OL you're matched on is slow off the snap at times. Iowa had an exceptional OL this year and I don't think I saw them get a good block on him all night in pass protection. They basically had to 1/3 step drop or roll out away from him. It limited their offense and didn't allow Iowa to exploit the openings deep most of the night until that one big 7-step drop deep pass early in 4th quarter...and I don't even know if Calhoun was on the field for that play.

Reality is that we're gonna have to attack their corners because it is their relative weakness and that means blocking a loaded front that will be dropping and rushing guys from different spots on passes. At least until we can back off their aggression if the pass plays work. That means the Calhoun v. CamRob matchup in pass protection is a huge factor in this game in my opinion. He's been iffy at times and we've historically struggled against undersized pass rushers against the LTs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.