Thoughts on Clemson and Oklahoma game

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is not fair to label Oklahoma State as not being a legitimate team but then to turn around and count UNC as being a legit team. UNC is not that good of a football team and has a much uglier loss than Ok. St. I'd take Oklahoma State over the Heels head-to-head.
Except OU beat an OSU team that lost it's starting QB. Just like they bet Baylol without their starting QB. Just like they beat TCU without their starting QB.

Seeing the pattern here?

Unless Watson gets knocked out early, I suspect OU won't look as awesome as they did against the row of second-and-third-string QB's they faced in their 'big' games...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Except OU beat an OSU team that lost it's starting QB. Just like they bet Baylol without their starting QB. Just like they beat TCU without their starting QB.

Seeing the pattern here?

Unless Watson gets knocked out early, I suspect OU won't look as awesome as they did against the row of second-and-third-string QB's they faced in their 'big' games...

Are you saying when you beat a team that doesn't have it's starting QB - it's not as credible of a win?

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

Seeing the pattern here?

I can see that, but I still don't think UNC belongs on the "legit team" list.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It is not fair to label Oklahoma State as not being a legitimate team but then to turn around and count UNC as being a legit team. UNC is not that good of a football team and has a much uglier loss than Ok. St. I'd take Oklahoma State over the Heels head-to-head.

If Oklahoma will be patient on offense and stick to running the ball they can win. clemson D is good but has depth issues and they gave up a lot of yards on the ground in the 2nd half of the season (142 to UNC, 181 to USC, 242 to Syracuse, 197 to FSU, 135 to NCSU, 159 to BC), and many of those to bad offensive teams (such as USC and BC and Syracuse).

IMO this is a tough game to pick. If OU can hang around and keep it close until clemson D wears out in 2nd half I think they win. If clemson jumps up early and OU panics then the tigers win.
I agree with this. This is the most complete team OU has faced this year.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Are you saying when you beat a team that doesn't have it's starting QB - it's not as credible of a win?
No, I'm saying that when your entire season's reputation is based on games where the opponents' starting QBs were out the overall ranking is suspect.

Nice try, but Grier wouldn't have made a difference.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
No, I'm saying that when your entire season's reputation is based on games where the opponents' starting QBs were out the overall ranking is suspect.

Nice try, but Grier wouldn't have made a difference.
OK - an entire season but not just one game. I got it. :wink::wink::wink:

Slightly different from a team that doesn't have a starting QB! chomp chomp
Thanks Coast...you got it! :)

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE
It will be fun to see which team shows up. I think both OK and Clemson didn't play a very challenging schedule with opponent QB injuries (OK) and weak ACC opponents (Clemson).

I think the game may be closer than we think.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Dabo said today that the media is making his job easy. They are counting Clemson out and done before the first snap. I look for Clemson to beat Oklahoma by 7.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Ha, I thought that was a Colt McCoy reference rather than a Grier reference.

While I'm not 100% sold on the Sooners defense, I think the Sooners offense has proved themselves pretty darn imposing regardless of who's playing QB for the other team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think Clemson has the disrespect angle going for them as most everyone is and will pick Oklahoma to win the game. Most are picking the Sooners to win it all, it seems. So normally, I'd pick Clemson to win. Especially considering Oklahoma has caught some serious breaks with the opposing QB's being injured in some of their biggest wins.

Yet, I can't get past the fact that the ACC's 2 best teams, Clemson and UNC, either lost or barely beat the SEC's worst team: South Carolina. I don't know what that says about the strength of the ACC, but it can't be good.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
How well can one judge a teams Offense in what is thought to be a non-defensive league? - Oklahoma
How well can one judge a teams Defense in what is basically considered a 'WEAK' league? - Clemson

Most have heard the saying 'stats are for loser's' well here's some STATS...

I tend to go with a team that has shown the better 'D' throughout the season, especially their scoring 'D', there is a reason a team only gives up so many points, and it sure ain't luck!!!
I'll pick OU by 4pts. 27-23 - although neither team has looked very impressive all year...
I'll pick Bama by 8pts. 24-16, I don't think Sparty's luck will hold out, and i think A'Shawn and Reggie will be on a mission!
If Jake stays away from TO's the Tide should roll!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
How well can one judge a teams Offense in what is thought to be a non-defensive league? - Oklahoma
How well can one judge a teams Defense in what is basically considered a 'WEAK' league? - Clemson

Most have heard the saying 'stats are for loser's' well here's some STATS...

I tend to go with a team that has shown the better 'D' throughout the season, especially their scoring 'D', there is a reason a team only gives up so many points, and it sure ain't luck!!!
I'll pick OU by 4pts. 27-23 - although neither team has looked very impressive all year...
I'll pick Bama by 8pts. 24-16, I don't think Sparty's luck will hold out, and i think A'Shawn and Reggie will be on a mission!
If Jake stays away from TO's the Tide should roll!
So shouldn't you go with Clemson since they give up less points a game?

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org

If Oklahoma will be patient on offense and stick to running the ball they can win. clemson D is good but has depth issues and they gave up a lot of yards on the ground in the 2nd half of the season (142 to UNC, 181 to USC, 242 to Syracuse, 197 to FSU, 135 to NCSU, 159 to BC), and many of those to bad offensive teams (such as USC and BC and Syracuse).

IMO this is a tough game to pick. If OU can hang around and keep it close until clemson D wears out in 2nd half I think they win. If clemson jumps up early and OU panics then the tigers win.
Do you remember the OU - UT game, Vol's that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.