Thoughts on Clemson and Oklahoma game

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjanet

Dec 17, 2012
I would like to here some of your analysis on the Clem/Ok game.I've seen Ok. against Texas and they didn't play very well. I know Ok is the hot team going into the playoffs. Clemson I have seen a few times. To me their secondary is weak. I really don't think has played anybody close to what they are going to face Thursday. What are some of your thoughts.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I'm getting the sense that OU is mad not to play Bama in the semi finals. It seems to me they are kind of overlooking Clemson a bit. kind of like what FSU did last year. I work in Tallahassee and got a lot of flak from FSU fans down here because they had to play Oregon not Bama in the Semi's. watching the bowl game between OU and Clemson last year you would think they would take Clemson a little more serious. if OU doesn't have their mind right, Clemson will boat race them. again.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I see OU winning this one. With Mayfield, Perin, and Shepard on O, the sooners are a scoring machine. I also think they are underrated on defense.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I'm getting the sense that OU is mad not to play Bama in the semi finals. It seems to me they are kind of overlooking Clemson a bit. kind of like what FSU did last year. I work in Tallahassee and got a lot of flak from FSU fans down here because they had to play Oregon not Bama in the Semi's. watching the bowl game between OU and Clemson last year you would think they would take Clemson a little more serious. if OU doesn't have their mind right, Clemson will boat race them. again.
That bowl game last year was different. OU was a team in turmoil with really nothing to play for and it was right before Bob let half his staff go. Things won't be nearly as easy for Clemson this time...

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I think Watson may be too tough for the Sooner defense. I really hope I'm wrong, I think our offense will move the ball and score enough to win, but getting stops when it's crunch time worries me.
I have lost confidence in Stoops getting a team prepared to play in a game this big. I know I sound like a broken record, but he needs to prove it to me.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Posted similar thoughts in another thread - I think Clemson has played and beat 3 legitimate teams: Notre Dame, Florida State and North Carolina. Oklahoma lost to a miserable Texas team and (to really no fault of their own) played backup or 3rd string QBs in their other big games (Baylor and TCU). Oklahoma did beat Oklahoma State but I, and I think most other people, were never really sold on Oklahoma State as a legitimate team to make the playoffs. Now if Oklahoma had beat TCU and Baylor with both teams at full strength I would probably give Oklahoma the nod here, however I don't think Oklahoma would have won both those games with TCU and Baylor at full strength. I would give a slight edge to Clemson because I've seen them do it 3 times this year and they have a lot of NFL talent + Oklahoma is still somewhat of an unknown to me based on what I already stated. Score prediction would be Clemson 34-24..

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think Clemson wins. I thought they would take a big step back when Chad Morris left. Dabo has done a great job of keeping everything together. I heard Dabo talking on the Paul Finebaum show and he said some interesting things about how he almost went back to Alabama twice. You could hear how much he loves Alabama in that interview.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
IMO OU is a bit overrated. Clemson has the best offense and the best defense(by far) that OU will have faced all year. Bob Stoops has brought a team into games "for all the marbles" four times...he's won once. That's a record that doesn't actually inspire confidence in his ability. In 2008 OU's only loss was to Texas. They came into the BCSNCG with, supposedly, the greatest offense in the history of college football averaging over 50 points a game, Florida held them to 14. I'm like wishbonesooner...Stoops will have to prove it. As the saying goes...do it to me once shame on you, do it to me twice, shame on me.

I won't be surprised at all if Clemson wins big.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This will be a good game regardless of the winner. I am pulling for the sooners but Clemsen just my outclass them. I think both semi finals will be very fun to watch.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Clemson wins, Oklahoma hasn't seen a qb like watson. Clemson def is very fast and very good. They finally have rest after having their bye week early in year. Will be close but Clemson (my wifes team) pulls out a W.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I don't have any analysis but I do have a feeling that Clemson is going to repeat on Oklahoma's head. Okie has looked real good ... against the Big12 and they are cocky with being picked to win it all. I believe it will be Dabo and CNS in the big one with plenty of sour grapes from big mouth bob.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Posted similar thoughts in another thread - I think Clemson has played and beat 3 legitimate teams: Notre Dame, Florida State and North Carolina. Oklahoma lost to a miserable Texas team and (to really no fault of their own) played backup or 3rd string QBs in their other big games (Baylor and TCU). Oklahoma did beat Oklahoma State but I, and I think most other people, were never really sold on Oklahoma State as a legitimate team to make the playoffs. Now if Oklahoma had beat TCU and Baylor with both teams at full strength I would probably give Oklahoma the nod here, however I don't think Oklahoma would have won both those games with TCU and Baylor at full strength. I would give a slight edge to Clemson because I've seen them do it 3 times this year and they have a lot of NFL talent + Oklahoma is still somewhat of an unknown to me based on what I already stated. Score prediction would be Clemson 34-24..
It is not fair to label Oklahoma State as not being a legitimate team but then to turn around and count UNC as being a legit team. UNC is not that good of a football team and has a much uglier loss than Ok. St. I'd take Oklahoma State over the Heels head-to-head.

If Oklahoma will be patient on offense and stick to running the ball they can win. clemson D is good but has depth issues and they gave up a lot of yards on the ground in the 2nd half of the season (142 to UNC, 181 to USC, 242 to Syracuse, 197 to FSU, 135 to NCSU, 159 to BC), and many of those to bad offensive teams (such as USC and BC and Syracuse).

IMO this is a tough game to pick. If OU can hang around and keep it close until clemson D wears out in 2nd half I think they win. If clemson jumps up early and OU panics then the tigers win.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
tough game to pick. Both teams IMO are riding a wave of emotion. That alone can make a team compete with anyone. Whichever QB that plays with the most composure will lead their team to victory. total coin flip game for me.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If Oklahoma will be patient on offense and stick to running the ball they can win. clemson D is good but has depth issues and they gave up a lot of yards on the ground in the 2nd half of the season (142 to UNC, 181 to USC, 242 to Syracuse, 197 to FSU, 135 to NCSU, 159 to BC), and many of those to bad offensive teams (such as USC and BC and Syracuse).

IMO this is a tough game to pick. If OU can hang around and keep it close until clemson D wears out in 2nd half I think they win. If clemson jumps up early and OU panics then the tigers win.
I agree. Barring turnovers I think this is how it goes. If Oklahoma tries to get in a shootout, Clemson wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.