8 of the next 11 CFP semis will be on NYE

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
@richarddeitsch: NYE CFB playoffs will be the new normal. 8 of next 11 years. https://t.co/IDkj51dww5

@richarddeitsch: ESPN, to their credit, tried to move it this year. But CFP balked. It is foolish and viewer-unfriendly. https://t.co/w28kDRMNgm

@pittaholic: @richarddeitsch having the semis on New Year's Eve when Jan. 2 is open is the Dumbest.Thing.Ever.

Like or not, this is going to be a tradition in bowl season. I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it...but no one thought the people running this cfb business were that smart anyway.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I truly hope the "non-combatant" regions of the country absolutely no-show on these games and this gets fixed.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll be watching, but I'm fortunate. I work, but it's unique for me on NYE as I work remotely from home. In years past I would have been at work during the games, unable to watch.

I think the numbers are going to suffer. And I think the New Years day bowls will suffer as well. What casual fans are going to want to watch the Rose Bowl when the big semi-final games have already been played? There is value to having all the games lead up to those two semi-finals on the second evening. This was a stupid move, especially since January 2nd was open, and not in conflict with the NFL. It was a stupid move to allow the Rose Bowl (and the Sugar Bowl by piggybacking on the Rose Bowl) to always be on Jan 1, and not rotate like the rest. But these are the same stupid people that have ruined the conferences with realignment, so why be surprised?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
This is the Rose and Sugar bowl's fault for refusing to budge on the Jan 1 date when they don't have the playoff. Maybe a few years of lower ratings vs the Jan 1 bowls will help them change their minds.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
This is the Rose and Sugar bowl's fault for refusing to budge on the Jan 1 date when they don't have the playoff.
Sugar Bowl is just joining the fray. The Rose Bowl has been fighting this fight in the BCS system for decades.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, I always saw the playoff as inevitably harming tradition. It didn't start there of course, I'm not sure ESPN is good for college football. Look at what they did to the BCSCG, they pulled it off broadcast TV, which resulted in a loss of viewers because less people have cable, then they themselves advertised the loss in viewers as though it was the fault of the BCS itself.

What they are doing is shaping the post-season into something that is less viewer friendly for casual fans who aren't going to set aside time on random dates to watch bowl games. And, I just think there's something wrong with making bowl season less of a big deal. The first was like a holiday, everyone sat around watching bowl games all day. Now? It's just different... bowl game mean less, they're scattered all over the place, and I don't think it makes as many new fans in the process. It's all there to milk existing fans, and hardcore fans. It's less engaging to casual or new fans.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
ESPN's judgement day is coming. They've posted a net subscriber loss in the last two FY quarters when that hasn't happened probably since they launched. Cordcutting is a real problem for ESPN/Disney and it is probably why we've seen Disney buy Marvel and Lucasfilm. Disney is pivoting and trying to make extended universe movie events a centerpiece of their media empire. Television has been a huge money maker for them throughout the rise of cable but the economic realities are changing and the subscriber numbers are never going to be the same for their television products in the new system emerging via over-the-top streaming.

The way ESPN/Disney kicked and screamed over the NYE dates goes to show how thin their margins are on making these products profitable for them. Subscribers on cable going down year over year, 8 out 11 semis on NYE (a terrible night for television), rising prices to buy these assets, decreased interest in buying cfb advertising slots that are quickly rivaling NFL-level prices. There is a shift coming in college football and I think it is austerity. There will come a day where the next round of TV contracts aren't bigger than the last because the over-the-top streaming model won't allow for it. Personally, I welcome it because it will right-size the FBS and probably finally align around five huge power conferences.

I hope Bill Battle's business acumen is giving him the eye to see this and put Alabama in a 10-year plan that allows for the changes around the corner.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Sugar Bowl is just joining the fray. The Rose Bowl has been fighting this fight in the BCS system for decades.
Rose bowl wants to keep traditions. Sugar Bowl wants to stay relevant when it goes to 6 bowls.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
They are going to lose a lot of casual fans who would have watched at another slot. SCREW that stupid rose bowl!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't see it as a big deal. The games will be over by 10 or so. If you're into going out late to party watch the games and then go party. Most bars/hangouts have TVs..

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
The game will be over at about 8:30 PST. ;)

That gives me plenty of time to go out and get in trouble. Not that I ever do that. I have a wife and kid. NYE is the most ho-hum holiday to me now. Dick Clark is dead.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
It ruins our normal plans. We usually go out to a nice dinner with a big group of friends and are home in time to see the ball drop. Not going to be able to do that this year.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
It ruins our normal plans. We usually go out to a nice dinner with a big group of friends and are home in time to see the ball drop. Not going to be able to do that this year.
That's a bummer, man. You could always DVR the game and watch it on NYD. That's not the same, I know. :)

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
That's a bummer, man. You could always DVR the game and watch it on NYD. That's not the same, I know. :)
Yeah we are hanging out at a friends house this year, but it's hard. I'm super picky about who i will watch a game with. Esp a big game. I wanted to just sit at home and watch it this year, but I got veto'd by the wife. So that was the compromise.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.