Is there a chance that Jacob Coker could be drafted?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Phil Savage said last week the committee votes in December. Didn't indicate if there were exceptions or not. I'm confused by it because they then are banking on certain juniors and/or RS sophomores declaring. What if others declare?

Seems like a flawed system to me.
I agree. That's too early.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Who knows if Jake can make it...but I think he definitely merits a chance. The kid has guts, a cannon, and he's tough.
I think he'll make it.
sip
All going to come down to Pro Day. If he looks good in drills and interviews well, he might get a shot since I imagine most of the NFL will be there.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
What round was Tom Brady drafted in? Wasn't it the 6th? I think JC has every bit the arm Brady does and he's much more mobile.
He will go in the late rounds but he will be drafted and we'll see what he can do.
I'll say right now I think he has the potential to be the best pro out of Bama since Snake. JMO

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We shall see, but I'll bet he gets a shot and at least makes a roster.
Oh he'll definitely get a shot to prove himself in training camp. With the QB being such a premium in the NFL game and recent "exceptions" such as Tom Brady and Kurt Warner making it big. Jake will DEFINITELY get a shot. But I highly doubt that shot will come with a fourth or fifth round draft pick. Maybe sixth but more than likely a FA signee into training camp.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What round was Tom Brady drafted in? Wasn't it the 6th? I think JC has every bit the arm Brady does and he's much more mobile.
He will go in the late rounds but he will be drafted and we'll see what he can do.
I'll say right now I think he has the potential to be the best pro out of Bama since Snake. JMO
Really? Trying to make a correlation to the greatest QB in the history of the NFL to a QB who has only started 14 games in college? Additionally, arm strength and mobility has nothing to do with the success of Tom Brady. There's been a plethora of prospects that have the same or better physical attributes as Brady. Brady is successful because of the intangible characteristics that can't be measured: work ethic, intellect, passion and desire for the game of football. He routinely takes pay cuts so the Patriots can keep a championship level roster. He studies the game and prepares like no other. Look, I want Coker to get drafted and have a prosperous NFL career but let's not compare him to the GOAT, in any form or fashion, right out the gate..

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Really? Trying to make a correlation to the greatest QB in the history of the NFL to a QB who has only started 14 games in college? Additionally, arm strength and mobility has nothing to do with the success of Tom Brady. There's been a plethora of prospects that have the same or better physical attributes as Brady. Brady is successful because of the intangible characteristics that can't be measured: work ethic, intellect, passion and desire for the game of football. He routinely takes pay cuts so the Patriots can keep a championship level roster. He studies the game and prepares like no other. Look, I want Coker to get drafted and have a prosperous NFL career but let's not compare him to the GOAT, in any form or fashion, right out the gate..
They do share some similar personality traits that I believe hurt them in scouting but ended up positives. Brady took a nap right before his first Super Bowl and was awoken right before the game. And he played relaxed and they win. Jake also has that laid back personality but he is clutch and plays relaxed. Just not much of a talker, neither was Brady.

Edit: Brady talked more as his career progressed, but anyone that watched the 2000 Orange Bowl against should have know that Brady was much better than a 6th rounder. He shred us

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I think he is comparing Coker to the Tom Brady who was coming out of Michigan not to the Tom Brady who developed into a four time superbowl champion. That's a huge difference. Brady's work ethic was developed. If he would have had that same insane work ethic and determination at Michigan as he did after he was dissed in the draft he would have never lost his starting job and his performance would have been a lot better. Let's not forget, he wasn't setting the college game on fire as the starting QB at Michigan. All of the things you talk about were developed over time. People develop characteristics and habits over time, both good and bad. The odds of Coker being the next Brady (the one that has four superbowls) are slim to none. But comparing Coker to the Brady who entered the combine coming out of Michigan is more than fair.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I think he is comparing Coker to the Tom Brady who was coming out of Michigan not to the Tom Brady who developed into a four time superbowl champion. That's a huge difference. Brady's work ethic was developed. If he would have had that same insane work ethic and determination at Michigan as he did after he was dissed in the draft he would have never lost his starting job and his performance would have been a lot better. Let's not forget, he wasn't setting the college game on fire as the starting QB at Michigan. All of the things you talk about were developed over time. People develop characteristics and habits over time, both good and bad. The odds of Coker being the next Brady (the one that has four superbowls) are slim to none. But comparing Coker to the Brady who entered the combine coming out of Michigan is more than fair.
I'm sorry, I don't see the correlation between Tom Brady and Jake Coker whatsoever. You stated in your post that Tom Brady did not have a great work ethic and intangibles in college. So what exactly are we trying to compare between the two? That they both have prototypical size and arm strength? Almost all of the QB prospects in this draft (Goff, Wentz, Hackenburg, Prescott, Driskell etc) have prototypical size, arm strength, mobility etc. I'm a huge Coker fan and I hope he gets drafted to a good organization and gets the opportunity to start one day. If one wanted to make a comparison I would be more apt to compare Coker to Big Ben. Ben is known for extending plays, because of his size and athleticism he is hard to bring down, and then finding receivers deep down the field. Those are tangible characteristics that Coker possesses and has shown that he can perform in a similar manner..

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
That probably would not be hard to do. In any case, I have not laughed all day so thanks.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Brady's awesome indeed, but the best NFL QB of all time to me is Joe Montana.
It's indeed a neck and neck race though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only thing similar between Coker and Brady is that both Carr and (insert what coach you want) played around with who was going to be the starter. The big difference between those situations is that CNS and CLK both settled on Coker fast enough to win a championship, but Carr ironically had to lose to CNS before their stupid fans finally woke up and saw Henson wasn't the godsend that they beleived.

Brady's biggest issue was Carr's inability or unwillingness to coach or develop him. The common perception even amongst coaches at Michigan was that Henson was going to lead them to a championship in 99, and that Brady was going to be the experienced clipboard holder. Brady was hosed and that is probably a big reason that it took him so long to give huge praise to Carr

Coker on the otherhand is a talent that got replaced by more talented people. Had Coker and trickett both stayed in 14 Coker would probably been FSU's 3rd or 4th string qb. Coker went to bama without spring practice and it ultimately cost him. So really it's more understandable. The only thing other than the "Guess who is starting this week" game we played that even remotely compares to Brady at Michigan is that a significant amount of fans severely doubted his abilities because of perceived superior talent elsewhere in the stable of qbs. You can see this plainly throughout the spring training threads, threads directly after the ole miss game, and especially in some threads of close games. Granted Blake sims had a significant amount of doubters but we are comparing Coker and Brady.

I think my point is that had Brady played at Michigan state in 98 and 99 then he probably would've been patriot hoody Billy's 2nd or 3rd pick because I think CNS wouldn't have abandoned him due to a perceived incoming prodigy. CNS has proven that he gives people a fair chance unlike Carr. Brafy would be like or better than AJ had he been with CNS and much less doubted. It was reported by scouts that the primary reservation about Brady was that they viewed Carr an elite coach and thought his decision to bench him illustrated a significant flaw in Brady's game. It also didn't help that Brady wasn't a physical specimen at the combine, at least Coker looks like an NFL qb at this point.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm sorry, I don't see the correlation between Tom Brady and Jake Coker whatsoever. You stated in your post that Tom Brady did not have a great work ethic and intangibles in college. So what exactly are we trying to compare between the two? That they both have prototypical size and arm strength? Almost all of the QB prospects in this draft (Goff, Wentz, Hackenburg, Prescott, Driskell etc) have prototypical size, arm strength, mobility etc. I'm a huge Coker fan and I hope he gets drafted to a good organization and gets the opportunity to start one day. If one wanted to make a comparison I would be more apt to compare Coker to Big Ben. Ben is known for extending plays, because of his size and athleticism he is hard to bring down, and then finding receivers deep down the field. Those are tangible characteristics that Coker possesses and has shown that he can perform in a similar manner..
The correlation is that nothing is expected of him. His game can be picked apart and anyone with any sort of football IQ could convince the average person he'll be garbage in the NFL. Also it seems you are jumping back and forth with what you want to compare. A few posts up you want to discuss the intangibles of Brady and dismiss the physical comparison of Coker and Brady now you're wanting to physically compare Coker to Big Ben. Make up your mind.

Here's the bottom line. You have zero clue if Coker will turn out like Brady or not. ZERO. Just like if someone would have asked you back when Brady was performing in the combine would he be a franchise qb in the NFL. My guess is your answer would have been a resounding "NO". But my point is a lot of what has made Brady great in the nfl was developed AFTER he was drafted. Coker has that opportunity to develop those same attributes. No one is saying he will. But he will have the opportunity. Some team will give him a shot just from his physical talent alone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The correlation is that nothing is expected of him. His game can be picked apart and anyone with any sort of football IQ could convince the average person he'll be garbage in the NFL. Also it seems you are jumping back and forth with what you want to compare. A few posts up you want to discuss the intangibles of Brady and dismiss the physical comparison of Coker and Brady now you're wanting to physically compare Coker to Big Ben. Make up your mind.

I agree that not much was expected of Brady but I think there is more optimism amongst scouts about Coker because his physical attributes and being under CNS and CLK. Brady had mixed reactions because of his physical attributes and the perception of Carr yanking him during the MSU game. Scouts opinions ranged From one side that feels that #199 was a shock in that he was drafted at all, and another that he fell that far.

One is that the scouts just hated his physical appearance and the fact compared to the other 6 qbs he offered nothing extraordinary. And also scouts cited that Carr never went to bat for him in interviews. So they thought he would be undrafted

The other is that after the orange bowl that he changed some scouts and coaches opinions on him in that they soon felt that he was deserving to be drafted and it would be by either Pittsburgh or San Francisco in the later rounds, and would be a viable backup possibly even a starter to a smaller team. But most didn't feel that they should take a risk on him unless he was available after they got who they wanted in the previous rounds. But some felt he could make it somewhere.

I think many teams feel Coker is a physically gifted athlete that could possibly be formed into a decent qb if given time to devolp. Ever since big ben showed bigger and more physical qbs can work teams have taken chances on that type of qb. Coker is the same height as Ben but probably 30lbs smaller, and he does have a big cannon. So I really think from that standpoint he will get a chance regardless if he is drafted or nor .Plus he has the backing of both cns and CLK where Brady didn't so I think he is good shape.

FWIW..I think AJ's draft stock compared to Brady's draft stock is more similar than Brady vs Coker because teams had mixed feelings about taking a chance on them because there wasn't anything that made them better than the pool of qbs in their draft class except leadership. Which is a trait often overlooked in drafting.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If that's the comparison being made then I agree with you it being a fair comparison. When I saw Brady's name I assumed it was referring to what Brady turned out to be. Hopefully Jake puts on a good show at Alabama's pro day. I'm sure there'll be some interested scouts there..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.