Link: Nick Saban might be the greatest college coach of all-time.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I saw this one coming! I am not sure how much is sincere vs hyperbole, but this article is a little national perception on our coach. The dynasty was declared over, 2009-2012, a win makes it 2009-2015 (open) which is long one. This is national perception, not us. I think we will win, and it will be huge.

You will be seeing a lot of this leading up to the game.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport..._be_the_greatest_and_grimmest_coach_ever.html

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Thought the article was pretty hackneyed, but your point is taken nonetheless. CNS as the GOAT will be a narrative we deal with from here out, whether we like it or not.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Thought the article was pretty hackneyed, but your point is taken nonetheless. CNS as the GOAT will be a narrative we deal with from here out, whether we like it or not.
Hackneyed is good choice. Nothing wrong with having the two best coaches of all time coach at Bama.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
For the record, I am happy to see these articles. I hope every player and every coach wins this game for coach Saban, he deserves it. And he might be the greatest coach of all time. I did not see the first of the Coach Bryant phases, just wishbone dynasty. You cannot overstate what Coach Saban has done for us, no way to thank him enough. Remember Bama fans "living in the past" those days are long gone

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The funny thing is the players love him. I think it takes them a little while, but I think what he teaches them is greater than football and those that embrace it see success outside the football arena, in the classroom and in their work lives.

Alabama's graduation rates speak to his "joyless" football as well.

http://collegespun.com/independents...-footballs-top-25-in-order-of-graduation-rate

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Coach Saban is feeding them for a lifetime. He's building men.

RTR!

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Sabans the greatest of his era, judging coaches or players outside of their era is usually impossible. Clearly he is one of the all time greats and the Bryant of the modern era.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Sabans the greatest of his era, judging coaches or players outside of their era is usually impossible. Clearly he is one of the all time greats and the Bryant of the modern era.
Agreed. The changes in the game itself as well as in society make it apples to oranges. One thing that stands out in my mind is Bryant took terrible teams and turned them into winners with only ONE losing season. THAT separates him from the rest, IMO Did Joe Pa take over four rock bottom teams? No. Did Bobby Bowden? No. No one has done what the Bear has done.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I don't remember Coach Bryant smiling a whole lot on television either. Would you rather win or have a coach that has won the "Most Popular" contest everywhere he's been?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I would definitely agree with CNS being the "Bryant of this era" but making a comparison between the two at this point, I'd rather reserve until the end of CNS's career. Then you can talk about it all you like.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I would definitely agree with CNS being the "Bryant of this era" but making a comparison between the two at this point, I'd rather reserve until the end of CNS's career. Then you can talk about it all you like.
But maybe not on TF.:) Policies Link
Not tolerated:

* Any reference (explicit or implicit) that states Bear Bryant was anything other than the greatest coach ever!!

He's the best in my lifetime, that's for sure. I didn't get to see any of the Bryant years so they almost live in myth (though I believe all the stories). I just wonder at this stage what Saban is coaching for other than the players. Does he want to be the best ever, in college and at Alabama? It will take a monumental effort.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It all depends on what you consider a great coach to be.
If it's strictly based on football coaching ability then I would go with Bryant, and here's why....
Coach Saban is awesome, but in order for him to win he has to have championship caliber players.
Therefore recruiting is probably the biggest part of his, "process"
Coach Bryant could take a team far less talented than the team he was facing and completely beat their brains out. I'm not sure if Coach S. can do that.
As a few have said though, they're definitely the best of their eras.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
It all depends on what you consider a great coach to be.
If it's strictly based on football coaching ability then I would go with Bryant, and here's why....
Coach Saban is awesome, but in order for him to win he has to have championship caliber players.
Therefore recruiting is probably the biggest part of his, "process"
Coach Bryant could take a team far less talented than the team he was facing and completely beat their brains out. I'm not sure if Coach S. can do that.
As a few have said though, they're definitely the best of their eras.
Exactly...and that's why it's really unfair to compare CBP and CNS.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Coach Saban does have the best players, but to sustain takes great coaching. His core coaching philosophy and the respect he demands is 50% of what we saw in the Cotton Bowl. The players rooting on the backups like that? I am not seeing that on other teams with NFL talent, see Texas as worse case. It is easy to defend that Coach Saban is as good of a coach as anyone over a stretch, but we won't have him 20 years.

Winning another NC will do more than give him another NC, but stretch a dynasty that many RIP in 2012 to 2015. Coach Bryant is still the best, but that we can debate it, is mind boggling.

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
Exactly...and that's why it's really unfair to compare CBP and CNS.
Coach Bryant at Alabama was the perfect storm for us: he played at Alabama, married a campus beauty queen and was also the best coach in the nation. His genuine love for the University and Tuscaloosa was beyond question in a way that you, understandably, rarely ever see in coaching these days. As great as Coach Saban is, there will never be the same emotional connection, for obvious reasons. Coach Saban is the best I've ever seen, however, at putting a total program together.......graduation rates, facilities, wins, individual player awards, titles, et al......He's a complete professional and understands the profession and how quickly things can change (see Richt, M, Bowden, B). The whole game has changed in that regard....but these are the good old days and if Coach Saban left next week, I would want to shake his hand and offer a heartfelt, "Thank you."

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
While i give Coach Saban much credit, which he is due, he also is fortunate to be here at Alabama. There are a lot of variables around the Alabama program that make it a better environment to win here than at many other programs. I'm talking about our tradition or winning championships in several decades, tremendously loyal fans, great players wanting to be here, excellent facilities, etc. Don't get me wrong, Saban is the best coach in America, but part of his success is due to where he is - make no mistake about it.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
While i give Coach Saban much credit, which he is due, he also is fortunate to be here at Alabama. There are a lot of variables around the Alabama program that make it a better environment to win here than at many other programs. I'm talking about our tradition or winning championships in several decades, tremendously loyal fans, great players wanting to be here, excellent facilities, etc. Don't get me wrong, Saban is the best coach in America, but part of his success is due to where he is - make no mistake about it.
Of course we are Alabama. But who else could have met that challenge and exceeded expectations? You could say the same thing about coach Bryant......a perfect storm, and a coach willing to meet a hell bent fan base head on. Those same fans that are dead and gone, viewed the Bear the same way. It takes a special coach, and we have him again. I wish we could hear from the fans that went to the 29 Rose bowl. They would agree I that there are parallels with Bryant and Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.