Question: Should Stanford have been in top 4?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Iowa isn't good. They had a horrible schedule. If we had played them instead of Sparty, the game would have been ugly. Real ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
According to FPI they have a top 8 offense and a top 53 defense. Think it has more to do with how awful Iowa is and how weak the B1G West is. Both teams in the B1G championship game have squeaked by in close games all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Some teams handle the long layoff better than others. The differences between teams used to the spotlight and playing after that amount of time and those who are not, seem to be magnified.

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Well, they lost two games. One of those was to a team that Tennessee curbstomped today in the Bloomin' Onion Bowl. Stanford is a good football team, but the Hawkeyes have really crapped the nest in this game.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Every year brings a team or two that failed to get the job done somewhere along the line, but ends the season and post-season with a mighty roar and a hankering for what could've been. I'm afraid that Stanford is one of those teams this year.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes, they are probably better than MSU, but what can you do, they had 2 losses. It's going to change the feel, but they will go to 8 teams eventually and use all the major bowls.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
It will be the same every year. The first 2 teams out will be thought of as overrated and the next 2 teams fans will be saying "see we deserved to be there more".

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It will be the same every year. The first 2 teams out will be thought of as overrated and the next 2 teams fans will be saying "see we deserved to be there more".
I hear yah, but I don't think that would be the sentiment if both games yesterday had been competitive (i.e. TD or less).

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Easy to put forward today, with the benefit of hindsight provided by the outcome of several bowl games. But what about a month ago, when the decision had to be made?

If you put Stanford in, you have to boot somebody. Whether it's Alabama, Michigan State or Oklahoma, you're kicking out a one-loss conference champ (I know, I know, the Big 12-2 doesn't have a conference championship game...still, OU was their champ) in favor of a two-loss conference champ.

Plus, since we're playing with the benefit of hindsight, you'd have to consider that Stanford's losses were to a team that was totally outclassed today (Northwestern by a decent-but-not-great Tennessee), and a 3-loss Oregon.

I still like David Shaw, and would pursue him for the Alabama job when Saban finally hangs it up --hopefully several years hence. But they didn't stack up when the Top 4 decision had to be made.

If Stanford's in, who's out, based on the information available to the decision-makers when the decision had to be made?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly..The Play-off committee has done exactly what they told us they would do since the NCAA did away with the BCS format & at the time they made the selections last month, they put in without doubt the Top 4 teams in the country, based on the body of work as a whole for the season..

There will always be 2nd guessing when it comes to who plays for the NC, but, I think so far the Play-off Selection Committee has done theie job as they said they would..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
No, no way. When it comes down to it, it's not about how good a team you have, it's about how that team performs on the field. Stanford lost when they needed to win. That's all there is to it.

Ben23

Dec 7, 2015
I don't think there is a way to justify putting a 2 loss Stanford over OSU if that was the case. Besides, a week ago the SEC was overrated but seem to faring pretty well outside of the nightmare that is Florida and aTm. I think the idea of Stanford being top 4 will only intensify talk of expanding the playoff to 8 teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.