The Bundy's are back in the news

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The irony is that, although they claim to be upholding the constitution, in fact, they are not accepting Article IV, Section 3 - "The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful rules and regulations respecting the territory or other property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to prejudice any claims of the United States, or of any particular state. This was thought to have been disposed of in the Federalist debates leading up to the adoption. However, there have been these "sagebrush rebellions" periodically ever since the push west began. The only thing different about this one is its strong rogue Mormon flavor (God gave this land to me) - and modern mass media...
Reference the statement in boldfaced type above. Does this mean that Article IV, Section 3, is beyond the power of Article V?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I do not expect to see a successful amendment in the lifetimes of any of us here...
I'm thinking of the 14th Amendment which guarantees "equal protection of the laws." For example, the Nevada statehood act of 1864 admitted Nevada to the Union under unequal terms as compared to the majority of other states. Seemingly, the 14th Amendment could invalidate the terms of the statehood act in which the citizens of Nevada were forced to cede the vast majority of the territory to the federal government in exchange for early admission to the union.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm thinking of the 14th Amendment which guarantees "equal protection of the laws." For example, the Nevada statehood act of 1864 admitted Nevada to the Union under unequal terms as compared to the majority of other states. Seemingly, the 14th Amendment could invalidate the terms of the statehood act in which the citizens of Nevada were forced to cede the vast majority of the territory to the federal government in exchange for early admission to the union.

Now, which is it? The Fifth Article or the 14th Amendment? Let's stop moving the goalposts. Obviously, you've read nothing of what I've posted or Tidewater, either. Nevada never owned one teaspoon of dirt to cede. Period...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Now, which is it? The Fifth Article or the 14th Amendment? Let's stop moving the goalposts. Obviously, you've read nothing of what I've posted or Tidewater, either. Nevada never owned one teaspoon of dirt to cede. Period...
I didn't move the goalposts. I was developing a line of reasoning.

I asked if Article IV, Section 3, prevents the section from being amended due to supremacy over Article V (the amendment process provision). If it can't be amended, then I would think the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment cannot supersede Article IV, Section 3. If the 14th Amendment can supersede Article IV, Section 3, then it could be argued that Nevada and its citizens (as an example) were not admitted under equal terms of statehood and that the relevant statehood act of 1864 is invalidated as a result and a more equitable distribution of land is required.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't move the goalposts. I was developing a line of reasoning.

I asked if Article IV, Section 3, prevents the section from being amended due to supremacy over Article V (the amendment process provision). If it can't be amended, then I would think the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment cannot supersede Article IV, Section 3. If the 14th Amendment can supersede Article IV, Section 3, then it could be argued that Nevada and its citizens (as an example) were not admitted under equal terms of statehood and that the relevant statehood act of 1864 is invalidated as a result and a more equitable distribution of land is required.
Oh Lord. Your fallacy is believing in some "distribution of land." They had none. Not ever. Not one square inch. Title passed from the king of Spain to the US federal government. The 8K or so very recent settlers from California owned nothing of federal lands. So there is no "distribution of land." As IV-3 states, it was all always in "we the people," AKA the US federal government. End of story, if you disregard Indian rights, which we always have...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do not know if this adds anything, but the theory behind statehood for states other than the original thirteen has been that the people of a territory "create" the state and Congress admits them on the same equality as the other states. Sort of a proto-State or a nascent state. The Congress does not "create" a state (it may create a territory). The people of the state create the state and Congress admits it. I guess an interesting case might be if the people of a state created a state and did not request admission to the Union.
The Reconstruction era created de novo the idea that a state can "commit suicide" and then request re-admission once the people of the offending state had jumped through whatever hoops Congress decides. This thinking is "creative" (in the bad sense of that term), and flows mostly from the barrel of a gun.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I do not know if this adds anything, but the theory behind statehood for states other than the original thirteen has been that the people of a territory "create" the state and Congress admits them on the same equality as the other states. Sort of a proto-State or a nascent state. The Congress does not "create" a state (it may create a territory). The people of the state create the state and Congress admits it. I guess an interesting case might be if the people of a state created a state and did not request admission to the Union.
The Reconstruction era created de novo the idea that a state can "commit suicide" and then request re-admission once the people of the offending state had jumped through whatever hoops Congress decides. This thinking is "creative" (in the bad sense of that term), and flows mostly from the barrel of a gun.
It's sort of a "angels on the head of a pin" question, but, in light of the constitution, I suppose it just remain a territory until admitted. Some nascent states have waited in line for a long time before admission...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It's sort of a "angels on the head of a pin" question, but, in light of the constitution, I suppose it just remain a territory until admitted. Some nascent states have waited in line for a long time before admission...
I guess the Federal government, which obviously has the authority to "make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States." The Federal government could have ceded land within the state boundaries when the state was admitted to the Union, but the fact remains that the Federal government did not cede that territory.
States have ceded land to the Federal government for specific purposes. The land for Fort Moultrie and Fort Sumter was ceded by South Carolina for the purpose of building fortifications on the land for the defense of South Carolina.
All that being said, I do not see how the Bundy's (or any citizen living next to a parcel of land owned by the Federal government) have any legal claim.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I guess the Federal government, which obviously has the authority to "make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States." The Federal government could have ceded land within the state boundaries when the state was admitted to the Union, but the fact remains that the Federal government did not cede that territory.
States have ceded land to the Federal government for specific purposes. The land for Fort Moultrie and Fort Sumter was ceded by South Carolina for the purpose of building fortifications on the land for the defense of South Carolina.
All that being said, I do not see how the Bundy's (or any citizen living next to a parcel of land owned by the Federal government) have any legal claim.
I guess the leading instance of cession would be the creation of the District of Columbia. In the case of Nevada, the act made it very clear that no lands were being ceded. It could have gone without saying, but it appears that a point was being made, which is probably a good thing...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I guess the leading instance of cession would be the creation of the District of Columbia. In the case of Nevada, the act made it very clear that no lands were being ceded. It could have gone without saying, but it appears that a point was being made, which is probably a good thing...
Absolutely. The Federal government paid the price to Mexico, and Nevada was not even a territory at the time, so could have had no part in gaining the land.
Incidentally, the cession of the Federal District was due to prevent the seat of the general government from being within a state. People of Pennsylvania, during the RevWar, had physically threatened Congress and Pennsylvania had not done enough to defend Congress. If Congress was in a Federal District, this could not happen. But if we make the District of Columbia just like another state, then we would have the same problem we had in Pennsylvania.
For this reason, whenever I see a DC license plate with its "Taxation without Representation," it reminds me that my solution is to de-annex the district (return it to Maryland), except the Federal office buildings in which nobody lives and the White House. That way, the resident population of the District of Columbia would be the President and his/her family. Period. Problem solved.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Absolutely. The Federal government paid the price to Mexico, and Nevada was not even a territory at the time, so could have had no part in gaining the land.
Incidentally, the cession of the Federal District was due to prevent the seat of the general government from being within a state. People of Pennsylvania, during the RevWar, had physically threatened Congress and Pennsylvania had not done enough to defend Congress. If Congress was in a Federal District, this could not happen. But if we make the District of Columbia just like another state, then we would have the same problem we had in Pennsylvania.
For this reason, whenever I see a DC license plate with its "Taxation without Representation," it reminds me that my solution is to de-annex the district (return it to Maryland), except the Federal office buildings in which nobody lives and the White House. That way, the resident population of the District of Columbia would be the President and his/her family. Period. Problem solved.
That, I didn't know interesting. Thanks...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That, I didn't know interesting. Thanks...
Did some more research and need to correct the record.
Delegates in the state conventions while debating the Constitution, had raised suspicions as to the necessity of having a Federal district as a seat for the Federal government. During the Revolutionary War in which the people of Pennsylvania had "insulted" the Federal government, then seated in Philadelphia. Continental Army officers threatened Congress in June 1783, and Pennsylvania refused all appeals for help, so members of Congress fled to New Jersey.
On the other hand, it may have been the Whisky Rebellion they were talking about.
James Madison said:
If the safety of the Union were under the control of any particular state, would not foreign corruption probably prevail, in such a state, to induce it to exert its controlling influence over the members of the general government? Gentlemen cannot have forgotten the disgraceful insult which Congress received some years ago.
James Madison said:
How could the general government be guarded from the undue influence of particular states, or from insults, without such exclusive power (over a Federal district)? If it were at the pleasure of a particular state to control the session and deliberations of Congress, would they be secure from insults, or the influence of such state? If this commonwealth depended, for the freedom of deliberation, on the laws of any state where it might be necessary to sit, would it not be liable to attacks of that nature (and with more indignity) which have been already offered to Congress?
William Grayson said:
As my honorable friend mentioned, felons, who shall have fled from justice to the ten miles square, cannot be apprehended. The executive of a state is to apply to that of another for the delivery of a felon. He cannot apply to the ten miles square. It was often in contemplation of Congress to have power of regulating the police of the seat of government; but they never had an idea of exclusive legislation in all cases. The power of regulating the police and good government of it will secure Congress against insults. What originated the idea of the exclusive legislation was, some insurrection in Pennsylvania, whereby Congress was insulted,--on account of which, it is supposed, they left the state.
So, what Grayson was referencing was the Whisky Rebellion, but some incident in the Revolultionary War in which the people of a state had threatened the Federal government. The idea was the same, however. Create a Federal District, not within a state, so that the Federal government would not be in a position to be threatened by a state government.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.