The Bundy's are back in the news

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
I would post a little background here but for those who always take the liberal view it would be ignored. I am not defending the militia or Bundys, as I said no one is all right or wrong in this. I do encourage you to look into the government motivation for wanting them off the land they are on and the fact that they may have been framed in setting the fires to expedite their removal.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So, the family was burning federal lands and they are protesting their arrest for illegally burning the lands? I guess I'm missing something as to why they are protesting.
You may have not lived out west, but those folks regard federal lands as theirs, on loan to the federal government, and I'm not kidding you...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the whole thinh goes something like this: Someone did some illegal hunting (so says the government) the Bundys said the government has no right to the land (so says the Bundys) the Bundys got mad set the whole place on fire and called in the A.R.M. "American Resistance Movement" and militia people.
No, so said the jury which heard the case, a brave jury, I might add, knowing they were going against local sentiment, big time...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I would post a little background here but for those who always take the liberal view it would be ignored. I am not defending the militia or Bundys, as I said no one is all right or wrong in this. I do encourage you to look into the government motivation for wanting them off the land they are on and the fact that they may have been framed in setting the fires to expedite their removal.
Their own kin testified against them. Pretty cut and dry.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
As much as I distrust the gubbament, these guys are not heroes. There is lots of blame, to pin on both sides. (The gubbament and the Bundys both need a good kick in the rump.)

Breitbart gives a fair assessment of the mess:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...ance-to-government-land-grabs-know-the-facts/

The worst part is these dorks are playing into the hands of the fascists that want to suppress any and all resistance.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
good, i hope you have fun with that.

you do realize there are two things going on here, don't you? there was a large protest about the arrest saturday or so that was peaceful. a small armed group (led by the bundy character) left that protest and "took over" a closed headquarters building and have barricaded themselves in. they are the ones that have no one to blame for the outcomes but themselves.
You also do realize that the difference is that conservatives and right-wingers will loudly CONDEMN this even when it tends to be ideologically similar - just the opposite of those who think we have to coddle the striking protesters at Mizzou or 'understand' them.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Very true. A lot of "easterners" probably don't realize how much land the federal government owns in western states as well.
Originally, it was all empty federal land, i.e., owned by all of us. Most of the people getting the bargain use of it, and I include both grazers and mineral extractors, have only been there since the latter part of the 19th century and most of them really only 2-3 generations. Despite this, they have a real "squatter's mentality." They don't want all the land in the world - just what's next to them, and they don't want to pay for it. If you can tell I don't have a lot of sympathy for them, it's because I've had to listen at length to their pap, up close and personal...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You also do realize that the difference is that conservatives and right-wingers will loudly CONDEMN this even when it tends to be ideologically similar - just the opposite of those who think we have to coddle the striking protesters at Mizzou or 'understand' them.
if i were criticizing the general protestors, you would have a point. the guys occupying the federal building and the strikers at mizzou are not even remotely comparable.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It's not really "claims." It was in federal ownership and empty before the settlers started moving in. It's they who are the "claimants."
When the Federal government purchased the land from Napoleon or received it from the Mexican government, there was not a lot of people out there except Sioux, Apache, Navajo, etc. and not many of them. There were 8,000 Californios in the entire Mexican territory now in the state of California.
To this case, I don't know any way that these jokers would "own" that land any more than I do or you do. I believe the ownership was transferred from France or Mexico to the Federal government in fee simple.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.