Netflix Docuseries: Making a Murderer (will be SPOILERS)

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Just finished. My gut feeling is there is reasonable doubt. The physical evidence leaves too many questions. The timing of finding the key. The key only had his DNA, but not hers. The tampered vial.

What angered me the most was that defense attorney's investigator who manipulated the kid into signing the "I'm sorry" stuff and drawing incriminating pictures. I'm no lawyer, but that was atrocious representation.

I remember watching Paradise Lost, and thought after seeing it that I felt pretty convinced that the guilty party was one of the family members. Then watched Paradise Lost 2 and thought it was someone else, and again after the third one thinking it was yet another person.

I recommend watching them all if you're interested in true crime stories, although they are heartbreaking because in real life, we don't always get to the truth. Innocent people are sometimes punished for crimes they didn't do. (My stance on the death penalty wavered a lot after finishing the Paradise Lost series. I still support it philosophically, but think the burden of proof needs to rise above what we use currently.)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Is this really good? I heard good things about it. I need to finish Jessica Jones first though.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

I tried to watch it yesterday. I lost interest in it and stopped. I may try to watch it again, but I didn't see what everyone was raving about yet.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I tried to watch it yesterday. I lost interest in it and stopped. I may try to watch it again, but I didn't see what everyone was raving about yet.
The first episode is a recap of the original crime and a set up of what's going to play out over the next 9 episodes. You kind of have ot push through the first one to get to the meat.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
The first episode is a recap of the original crime and a set up of what's going to play out over the next 9 episodes. You kind of have ot push through the first one to get to the meat.

I figured that, so I haven't written it off yet. I will see about watching it again later this week.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Finished EP8 last night. I'm not sure who killed her, but I don't think Avery did it.What I am certain of is there is no way I could convict Avery based on the flimsy circumstantial evidence. I don't know that he be found not guilty, but it would at least be a mistrial.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I haven't watched it, but there are some reports that the people behind the show left out evidence that may point towards Avery being guilty.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/evidence-s-missing-making-murderer-article-1.2485213
None of that is actually evidence though and the majority is hearsay brought forth by the prosecution. Some of them are outright lies:

3. Avery’s sweat was found in Halbach’s car

The documentary describes in lengths Avery’s blood in Halbach’s car and the possibility it was planted by police.

However, it barely mentions traces of his sweat that were also found.

DNA from Avery’s sweat was found on the hood latch of the vehicle and on the car keys, according to testimony from the trial.

It's just not true. DNA was found on the hoodlatch and a DCI testified under oath that it could have been transferred from an investigators glove after searching elsewhere on the property. It wasn't sweat DNA, that's a theory thrown out by Kratz.

4. Avery had recently ordered leg irons and handcuffs

Avery admitted to owning these restraining tools, but claimed they were to use on his girlfriend Jodi, according to a 2006 story in Milwaukee Magazine.

The items match what Dassey described to police as being used to tie Halbach to Avery’s bed.

However, when tested, Halbach’s DNA wasn’t found.
Leg Irons? LOL

So he and his fiance had some sex handcuffs. I'd hardly call those leg irons.

I could keep going but this would get entirely too long to detail how each of those items are either not evidence, or extremely misleading.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Finished EP8 last night. I'm not sure who killed her, but I don't think Avery did it.What I am certain of is there is no way I could convict Avery based on the flimsy circumstantial evidence. I don't know that he be found not guilty, but it would at least be a mistrial.
Colburn was looking at the license plate 2 days before the RAV4 was discovered. No one will ever be able to convince me he wasn't. That alone, to me, would be more than enough to keep me from convicting Avery.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Anyone debunked the fact he called and asked specifically for her? Is there evidence they were friends, anything like that?
Apparently she'd been out to his place several times, maybe half a dozen, to photograph cars they were selling. She always did a good job and he kept asking for her. There's a real good chance he had a fascination or an affinity for her. He definitely seems to be an odd guy, probably some sort of creepy pervert, especially if the part about walking out in his towel is true (although that wasn't allowed as evidence in the courtroom).

But then again, I've had a few things I've had done on several occasions - around the house and other places - and I've had specific people I've asked for, because they were really friendly and really great at what they did. So I'm not sure you can really make heads or tails of his request.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just finished episode 9, where they were sentenced.

From what I've seen (and ready online regarding the info left out of the documentary), there's no way I could convict either. I'm no longer certain Avery was innocent - it takes some long stretches to frame him - but I simply don't see enough evidence to make me believe beyond a reasonable doubt that they are guilty.

Really frustrating documentary.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

New 'Making a Murderer' evidence might help justify new trial, definitely justifies Internet sleuths.

Jerry Buting, one of Making a Murderer subject Stephen Avery's original lawyers, recently told Rolling Stone that "internet sleuths" (obsessed fans) found evidence in a photo of victim Teresa Halbach that lawyers missed. Buting hopes new evidence like this could change the entire case, by opening the possibility of another trial.

This new key evidence is literally "key" evidence. The picture, shown frequently on the news and in the Netflix docu-series, apparently shows Halbach holding a key fob with several keys. This is in contradiction to the one lone key police allegedly found when searching Avery's bedroom on November 8, 2005 (three days after finding nothing on their initial search on November 5, interestingly).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Finished it last night.

1. Still don't see how there was enough evidence to prove Steven's guilt.

2. Really, really don't see how there was enough evidence to prove Brendan guilty of all three charges other than that pathetic interview.

3. Steve Kratz's arrogance makes it even harder to handle watching Steven and Brendan be found guilty. Just want to punch the guy the way he acts.

4. Pretty clear the media members covering the case didn't believe either was guilty.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry this is an US magazine link, but it was the first I could find that had a good rundown of the Dateline episode from Friday night.

Making a Murderer's 'Dateline' Special Reveals New Interviews, Claims About Steven Avery's Blood

Making a Murderer's Steven Avery and his nephew, Brendan Dassey, are still sitting in prison for the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach, but in the court of public opinion, their case is far from closed. On Friday, January 29, Dateline's "The State of Wisconsin vs. Steven A. Avery" focused on the lingering mysteries at the center of the hit docuseries that premiered on Netflix last December.

As fans of the buzzy series know, Avery spent 18 years in prison for a rape he didn't commit. He was finally exonerated by DNA evidence — only to return to prison shortly thereafter when he and Dassey were convicted of the murder of Halbach. Dassey, who was 16 at the time, is eligible for parole in 2048. Avery is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

The special included footage from a rare, sit-down interview that took place in 2005 with Penny Beernsten, the victim of the sexual assault case that sent Avery to prison the first time. It also featured new interviews with Dassey's attorneys, Steven Drizin and Laura Nirider, as well as former prosecutor Ken Kratz.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.