Netflix Docuseries: Making a Murderer (will be SPOILERS)

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Anyone watched/watching this? I've finished episode 6 of 10 but I know how it all shakes out in the end because I was a little familiar with the case before the series came about. What I wasn't familiar with is how obvious it was that those in charge were out to make sure Avery was put away.

I want to think Avery is innocent, but there are still a lot of gaps I can't commit to crossing if I had been on the jury. I do think there was a conspiracy of the law enforcement involved to make sure he went away for the murder. I think there's enough "reasonable doubt," in my mind that I couldn't have handed down a conviction.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Re: Netflix Docuseries: Making a Murderer

So it sounds like this is worth watching. I keep seeing it pop up, but haven't dedicated any time to it yet. Once I turn off cable since football is over, I will be heavy into Netflix again.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

So it sounds like this is worth watching. I keep seeing it pop up, but haven't dedicated any time to it yet. Once I turn off cable since football is over, I will be heavy into Netflix again.
If you're even passively into true crime mysteries, this is worth a watch. It's extremely well done.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Based on the OP I started this tonight - only watched the first episode but good grief!

Very frustrating story so far...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Based on the OP I started this tonight - only watched the first episode but good grief!

Very frustrating story so far...
No spoilers, but the end of episode 4 is up there with any cliff hanger to any show ever. There are actually still quite a few shocking WTH moments coming. I finished episode 7 last night. Can't wait until you and a few other people on here finish so we can discuss.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

Thanks for posting this. I have read about it but not seen the documentary. Will probably watch it after next week.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Finished episode 6. So far, I am absolutely convinced he is guilty. I am also absolutely convinced the police juiced evidence to make sure he was convicted.
Just finished ep2 and I'm already pretty certain he's guilty - it would take CIA-type operatives to get and plant the circumstantial evidence they have already...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

I'll say this--the documentary is slanted in his favor. I thought the best of these style documentaries was Paradise Lost. I thought that one was fairly evenhanded. The worst, as far as constructing doubt where there was none, is Serial. This one is pretty bad, too, so far. It makes it pretty clear from the very beginning that they think he was framed.
There are just too many odd "coincidences," in this case to make me think otherwise. Some of the things that happened had no other way of happening unless someone was making them happen.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

The first episode is on You Tube. I just watched it and thought it was very interesting. I'm not surprised at all regarding how law enforcement and the judicial system works in protecting it's own. As a private citizen, I have witnessed this first hand. It's a shame but something you have to be aware of and important in how you go about your life. To avoid at all costs getting caught up in anything that could possibly implicate you in a crime.

At some point when time allows, I want to continue with the series.

One thing that tempers any sympathy for me towards Avery is that he threw that cat into a fire. I do believe in karma so there's that as far as what I've watched thus far.

Onward......

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

I just think there is a difference between being framed and having the evidence juiced. It's a fine line, I realize, and the cops would be in the wrong either way. For instance and noting that I still have a few hours to go, SPOILERS, I think the cops knew the car was there on the property days before her cousin "stumbled" upon it, guided by the hand of God. I think they probably planted the keys in his trailer. And I'm pretty sure the kid had nothing to do with it, which is probably the biggest tragedy of them all. His second lawyer should be disbarred.
We'll talk more when you finish the series lol. I don't want to say anything else for those who haven't seen it all.

The more I go over everything in my head, the more I can't decide how I feel. And as wishy washy as that sounds, it's important. It's important because it equals reasonable doubt. I can't see how anyone on that jury went through the entire trial, heard and witnessed everything that was shown and said "Yeah, I have no doubt in my mind that he's 100% guilty of these crimes."

He may have done it, he may not have done it. But the prosecution did nothing to prove to me he did it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

One thing that tempers any sympathy for me towards Avery is that he threw that cat into a fire. I do believe in karma so there's that as far as what I've watched thus far.
They've done a good job of not making him out to be some sort of angel. There's no question he's a trouble-maker, but doesn't excuse framing him, of course. I keep going back to when his lawyer mentioned his IQ as being around 70 - that's the generally accepted demarcation point for mental retardation. He's simply not an intelligent person.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

They've done a good job of not making him out to be some sort of angel. There's no question he's a trouble-maker, but doesn't excuse framing him, of course. I keep going back to when his lawyer mentioned his IQ as being around 70 - that's the generally accepted demarcation point for mental retardation. He's simply not an intelligent person.
Yeah, while he's a fictional character, Forrest Gump's was estimated to be around 75. An IQ of 70 is really, really low.

I don't excuse him for some of the things he's done, but I can understand (and have seen) how people with lower IQ's don't necessarily understand the difference between acceptable and non-acceptable behavior.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Yeah, while he's a fictional character, Forrest Gump's was estimated to be around 75. An IQ of 70 is really, really low.

I don't excuse him for some of the things he's done, but I can understand (and have seen) how people with lower IQ's don't necessarily understand the difference between acceptable and non-acceptable behavior.
Agreed. My brother is 'intellectually challenged' (we don't know if he was born this way or not, we adopted him after he was taken from abusive parents) so I've had the somewhat unique experience of growing up knowing a lot of mentally challenged people. One of the common things I see in those people is the inability to think things through - impetuous urges are as powerful as anything they have learned.

It's a rough story to watch, because regardless of his guilt or innocence, he was born into a situation that was virtually hopeless. It's already a really sad story.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
The problem that I have with the case so far is that every piece of evidence is discrete. There's no splatter, no blood stains, no DNA in the house. There's a single bullet fragment that just happened to be contaminated. There's random drops of his blood. There's bones that were arguably moved. I mean, there is blood all over her car. How is there none in his basement? If the kid's story is true, how is there no DNA on the mattress? Why'd he put her in the car in the first place? I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but there's a lot of smoke.
Bones were absolutely moved. People are complaining that all of the prosecutions evidence didn't make it into the documentary, but neither did all of the defenses. The defense had a forensic anthropologist testify that open flames can't destroy a human body the way Halbach's was. A body is only incinerated to that extent when subjected to high temperatures in an enclosed space. When you add that to the expert testimony that the majority of bones are always found in the place they were moved? We absolutely have evidence that - at the very least - was set up.

I'm still not completely finished. Should be tonight.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Just finished episode 4, holy crap!

It's going to be an interesting ride, but at this point I think that Avery is innocent...
It tapers off after Episode 7. Once you've seen up to there, you're basically up to speed on Avery. The rest is kind of a wrap up. You've still got some more twists and turns coming, especially the end of episode 6 I believe.

I still go back and forth daily on guilt or innocence. There's a lot I want to discuss, but I'll wait until you're completely finished.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.