Link: Barry Alvarez Gives Lame Reason as to Why SEC Teams Pay Assistants More than B1G

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Really? Isn't Ohio State a publicly-funded institution? Maybe you should revisit the reason why public colleges and universities offer varsity sports. Hint: it's not revenue generation. Or maybe as an OSU fan you've just overstayed your welcome.
Simmer down, pal. Simmer down.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I only have one issue with all these other sports and it is the same I have with the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. If enough people won't buy a ticket to support it ..... then don't make me (the taxpayer) pay for it. If rowing pays for itself they by all means row away because that means people want to come a watch.
I'm very surprised at the number of you who seem to be completely unaware of the real purpose of collegiate athletics. Using the rationale of only offering sports that generate a profit, you would soon have nothing but men's football and basketball. Isn't this exact argument what prompted the Supreme Court's Title IX decision?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Spoken like someone who does not have even the basic understanding of concepts like team and the purpose of collegiate athletics.
Spoken like someone that is somewhat egocentric, a tad judgmental, and doesn't understand that collegiate athletics is a business.....and without the "business" part of the equation, there are no other sports, other than Football, Basketball and maybe Baseball/Softball in some places, and Gymnastics in the SEC.....

Back in the "good ole days" - it didn't cost much to field a team. You took an old school bus, put the kids on it, and drove to the game/match. You stayed in a $19/night hotel - and came back the next day....that world doesn't exist anymore.

College Athletics is not what it used to be......

You seemed to have personalized something that had nothing to do with you....that's too bad....otherwise, this was a pretty good thread.

Last edited:

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
And don't think for one second that the rowers on the varisty women's team at Alabama don't know who buttered their bread- they do. And don't think they don't appreciate it either- I'm sure they do. They want Alabama football to be successful because they know that their sport (and probably every single other one at the university) not only benefits from football's success but depends on it. In the end though, they all represent the University of Alabama so they are all on the same team. ROLL TIDE

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Checked USAToday's list of 2014 revenues.

Alabama had $153,234,273 in revenue. Wisconsin had $127,910,918 in revenue.

Alabama spent $44,971,633 on coaches/staff while Wisconsin spent $39,707,418.

Wisconsin subsidized a little over $8,000,000, and Alabama was just under $6,000,000.

Seems like they aren't being very wise in their spending.
I agree in the wisdom, but that is the whole argument.

The link does not break anything down by sport. That would be interesting to determine whether or not his statement has actual merit or just legitimate reasoning.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Spoken like someone that is somewhat egocentric, a tad judgmental, and doesn't understand that collegiate athletics is a business.....and without the "business" part of the equation, there are no other sports, other than Football, Basketball and maybe Baseball/Softball in some places, and Gymnastics in the SEC.....

Back in the "good ole days" - it didn't cost much to field a team. You took an old school bus, put the kids on it, and drove to the game/match. You stayed in a $19/night hotel - and came back the next day....that world doesn't exist anymore.

College Athletics is not what it used to be......

You seemed to have personalized something that had nothing to do with you....that's too bad....otherwise, this was a pretty good thread.
You took a shot at a sport that I love and that has been a very important part of my life- so yeah, I take it very personally. If you'd said that about golf or gymnastics or some other sport, maybe someone else here would have been just as offended .

As for your comment about college athletics being a business; maybe for sports like football, basketball and a few others but for lots of other sports it's still much like 'the good ole days' you reference. Those athletes aren't in it for fame and fortune.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
You took a shot at a sport that I love and that has been a very important part of my life- so yeah, I take it very personally. If you'd said that about golf or gymnastics or some other sport, maybe someone else here would have been just as offended .

As for your comment about college athletics being a business; maybe for sports like football, basketball and a few others but for lots of other sports it's still much like 'the good ole days' you reference. Those athletes aren't in it for fame and fortune.
I get that, and it does not preclude what is being discussed. If Wisconsin is going to fund other sports with the revenue from football, it is using money football has brought in. Simple as that. CBB's stated reason for going to Arkansas was assistant coach salary levels.

Plenty of sports used to be funded directly from booster support. Anytime a school choses to fund a sport it is a business decision as to where that funding comes from, and sometimes it is at the expense of other sports. As you said the title IX argument is the same thing. In fact IMO title IX forcing schools to fund programs (right or wrong) made some of this a fully business decision.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I have no idea what Barry Alvarez makes at Wisconsin, but I'm sure he does pretty well. The head coach is paid well too. Maybe they should pay the raise to keep their DC. My guess is money isn't the main reason Aranda went to LSU.
It's a matter of priorities for the school. We value football more than they do I guess. It works well for Alabama, maybe they should come off their wallet and pay their coaches more! RTR!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Really? Isn't Ohio State a publicly-funded institution? Maybe you should revisit the reason why public colleges and universities offer varsity sports. Hint: it's not revenue generation. Or maybe as an OSU fan you've just overstayed your welcome.
We don't do hand outs in America. Earn it or do without.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Alverez is just damage controlling with a non sequitur. He's an "oldhead" with a bad business sense.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So their two more sports than Alabama are the reason they can't pay as much? That's essentially what he's saying. Those two additional sports lose so much money the football coach can't pay his assistants enough to keep them.
bowling can get quite costly

eta: no offense to any dudes out there

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I have no idea what Barry Alvarez makes at Wisconsin, but I'm sure he does pretty well. The head coach is paid well too. Maybe they should pay the raise to keep their DC. My guess is money isn't the main reason Aranda went to LSU.
It's a matter of priorities for the school. We value football more than they do I guess. It works well for Alabama, maybe they should come off their wallet and pay their coaches more! RTR!
If I remember correctly, the inability to pay to keep good assistants was a big part of the reason Bielema left for Arkansas. He was tired of losing guys all the time.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
Checked USAToday's list of 2014 revenues.

Alabama had $153,234,273 in revenue. Wisconsin had $127,910,918 in revenue.

Alabama spent $44,971,633 on coaches/staff while Wisconsin spent $39,707,418.

Wisconsin subsidized a little over $8,000,000, and Alabama was just under $6,000,000.

Seems like they aren't being very wise in their spending.
Barry's reasoning would be more valid to me if the amount of revenue generated by both athletic departments was the same. Then, he could argue that dividing the same amount of revenue amongst more sports would reduce the amount available to spend on each sport. Based on the numbers above, I would say the reason that Wisky doesn't pay its coaches the same as Bama and other SEC schools is because they don't generate the same amount of revenue.

It would also be interesting to see how comparable the profit margins are to determine which school was more fiscally responsible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
B1G: Be sure to send that memo to all of the public universities (such as OSU) whose existence is dependent upon the public endowment you refer to as a "handout". Then we can dispense with the argument about whether a varsity sports program should be profit centres because there won't be a university to administer the program anyway.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Correct me if I am wrong. But a couple of years ago, did not, as a direct result of Title IX, (and wait)' the NCAA champions in Women's Softball, Tennis, and Golf, from the University of Alabama? Didn't the Rise Center get a windfall from the FB teams earnings after beating Texas? FOOTBALL PAYS FOR IT ALl
. 20 years ago there were no rowing teams, softball fields, Yahtzee or chess tables sanctioned by the NCAA...okay, I pushed it there but blue font does take time off!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
So their two more sports than Alabama are the reason they can't pay as much? That's essentially what he's saying. Those two additional sports lose so much money the football coach can't pay his assistants enough to keep them.
I doubt it. Frankly, I think Power 5 conference public schools in some states are probably very reluctant to get into a football coaches salary arms race because of the potential political repercussions (there are probably more than a few states where the public might not be very supportive of football coaches being the top 10 highest paid public employees). Ironically, I've read that this was an issue when Skip Bertman tried to get Coach Saban a raise at LSU before he left for Miami.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
As a retired international level lightweight rower, I find this somewhat offensive. Title IX requirements aside, there should be opportunities for students who do not have the physical size and skills to play football to have a chance to compete and develop the critical skills that college athletics provides.

FWIW, Alabama recently built a new boathouse and equipment for its women's rowing team and this is one of the nicest college facilities I have seen outside Boston or Philadelphia and I have seen quite a few.

Alvarez's reason for Aranda's departure may or may not be reasonable but there's no reason to dump on other sports programs to make that point.
Lighten up, Francis ;-)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.