More Issues for Sumlin? AD Eric Hyman Leaving College Station

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Eric Hyman’s largely uneventful three-and-a-half-year stint as Texas A&M's athletic director concluded Tuesday when he announced that he was stepping down from the position.

There was no official word yet as to who the replacement will be or when it will be announced.

Hyman previously held the same position at South Carolina and his experience in the Southeastern Conference was a major reason he was hired by A&M in June of 2012. A&M was entering the SEC that year.

However, he seemed to have a distant relationship with Aggie sports fans, who often complained he wasn’t approachable or visible. Fans on message boards and talk shows often wondered what he did to earn his seven-figure salary.
He gave Sumlin a vote of confidence on Monday.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Talked to some Aggies I know and it appears Hyman has been dead in the water since 2013 when he went against Sumlin (who had lots of support at the time) and was essentially cut out of the chain of command for Sumlin.

IOW, I don't think this means anything wrt to Sumlin, It's fluid, but it sounds like a new a new OC should be announced soon, which saves Sumlin until after next season, though it also sounds like Sumlin doesn't want to be there any more.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Talked to some Aggies I know and it appears Hyman has been dead in the water since 2013 when he went against Sumlin (who had lots of support at the time) and was essentially cut out of the chain of command for Sumlin.

IOW, I don't think this means anything wrt to Sumlin, It's fluid, but it sounds like a new a new OC should be announced soon, which saves Sumlin until after next season, though it also sounds like Sumlin doesn't want to be there any more.
That maybe true, but how often does a new AD want to bring in his own guy? Especially when the current guy isn't standing on the strongest resume around?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The funny thing was that Hyman was asked by a reporter over the last couple of days about his tenure and stability as the AD which he responsed "Why? Is there someone out to get me?"

Hmmmm... Prophetic perhaps.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
So Sumlin fired his DC at the end of 2014 and brought in Chavis. Now he has fired his OC and will probably bring in Noel Mazzone. Today the AD resigns. Who the hell is in charge in College Station?

I agree with RTR91, a new AD may want his own hire ASAP. IMO, unless a new AD has been identified and he already has a top level coached ready to go to TAMU with him; Sumlin will have 2016 to save his job. Again, IMO keeping him around for 2016 is simply putting off the inevitable.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Unless the board of regents wants to bring in someone who Sumlin hasn't marginalized...
That maybe true, but how often does a new AD want to bring in his own guy? Especially when the current guy isn't standing on the strongest resume around?
Yup, I get it, just telling you what I'm hearing - sounds like Sumlin is essentially a lame duck for next fall. But that could change quickly, so who know?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
I can't for the life of me understand why Sumlin is getting interest from NFL teams. Apparently he is, believe it or not.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Spoke with a client who would be one of the boosters to fund the buy out.... They are waiting word to pass the hat.... (It is out and ready...)

Edit: same group told me Sept of 2002 Fran would coach aTm in 2003.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can't for the life of me understand why Sumlin is getting interest from NFL teams. Apparently he is, believe it or not.
I've heard it's the other way around - no on has come calling but he's put the word out he's interested. Apparently both he and Mora actively pursued NFL positions.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX

Fact. Hyman has had absolutely no say in regards to football since 2013 when he demanded that Sumlin bench a few players for marijuana use (first time offenses/or at least first time the kids were caught). Hyman has been a lame duck since, even though Sumlin has benched players after that for the same rules being broken.

Spoke with a client who would be one of the boosters to fund the buy out.... They are waiting word to pass the hat.... (It is out and ready...)

Edit: same group told me Sept of 2002 Fran would coach aTm in 2003.
Fact. There is a faction of very wealthy Aggies that want Sumlin out yesterday and yes, some people have been contacted to find out if they’d be willing to make a sizeable donation to the Athletic Department in order to buy Sumlin out asap.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I hope Summy sticks around for a long time, keeps Chief on staff as DC and hires either Mazzone or Franklin as OC.

#YESSIR :biggrin2:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.