ole miss recruiting

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Greg Little was ready to commit to us when all of a sudden Freeze does a late in home visit and Greg postponed his announcement . We all know what happened. Ole Miss comes out of nowhere and gets his commitment. Is Freeze that good as a recruiter?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Think about it. Auburn wrote the blueprint and Ole Sis is taking full advantage of it. Scam and Auburn got away with their shenanigans which for all intents and purposes took the teeth out of the NCAA. There has not been a major recruiting case since. The NCAA realizes now that is absolutely helpless to stop it and numerous schools have used it to their advantage. Do you really think a DE signs with Auburn when they have no DC and half the defensive coaches are also gone?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll repeat what I've said a few times in other threads...

Ole Miss' recruiting didn't get sketchy until Dickie Scruggs got out of federal prison.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

Ole Miss' recruiting didn't get sketchy until Dickie Scruggs got out of federal prison.
Let me fix this for you.....returned being sketchy when ol' Dickie got out........LOL

He must have learned better tricks for better players while he was away........

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
That is correct. But the main problem is the SEC- with a new commissioner- has and will continue to turn a blind eye. Makes me sick to hear Finebaum and other journalist discuss what great recruiters Freeze and his staff are.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I honestly think Coach Freeze is a elite recruiter or is a true "Snake-Oil" salesman..
Here's why I don't buy that. His first big class wasn't his first. It wasn't like he came there great at recruiting.

His first class was ranked 40th.... his second class? It jumps up to 7. What kind of mojo did this guy suddenly get his hands on? Not only that, but he was landing like every top uncommitted guy, you could tell when things started getting fishy because his recruiting did not start off hot in that class, he closed that way. Then he turns in a couple pedestrian recruiting classes and all the sudden Ole Miss has that mojo again. We all can see what's going on, it's like if a ugly guy suddenly has a supermodel on his arm, it must be the money, it's darn sure not his charisma.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't doubt Ole Miss is using $$$ to get these kids, but as others have mentioned, it didn't do them any good when they did it in 2013. It won't do them any good now.they don't have depth and frankly, I don't think they have the coaches to maximize the potential of the players they get.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They beat Bama, again, and looked great on a National stage in their bowl. Gotta count for something in recruiting. I've always thought the, "help us build our program" sell works well w/some kids. Or you can just give them the bucks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here's why I don't buy that. His first big class wasn't his first. It wasn't like he came there great at recruiting.

His first class was ranked 40th.... his second class? It jumps up to 7. What kind of mojo did this guy suddenly get his hands on? Not only that, but he was landing like every top uncommitted guy, you could tell when things started getting fishy because his recruiting did not start off hot in that class, he closed that way. Then he turns in a couple pedestrian recruiting classes and all the sudden Ole Miss has that mojo again. We all can see what's going on, it's like if a ugly guy suddenly has a supermodel on his arm, it must be the money, it's darn sure not his charisma.
Exactly. He was hired on December 5, 2011. He had two months to get a recruiting class together. If he's some fantastic recruiter, he would have done it then.

How does a guy like Austin Golson go from committed to Florida State for months to all of a sudden flipping to Ole Miss? When asked about flipping Austin on SiriusXM after NSD, Hugh credited it to Austin being an outdoors man and Oxford having so many places to hunt and/or fish nearby. We're expected to believe that?

For those that doubt any wrongdoing or just want to think the rest of us eat a bowl of sour grapes every morning, please read my post about it from 2014.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Anybody holding their breath waiting on the NCAA on this is going to turn mighty purple, IMHO. With the current state of the NCAA, they will have to be literally forced somehow by other universities to seriously investigate OM. And even then it probably wouldn`t happen unless the OM coaching staff and/or a prominent booster did something so blatant, obvious and egregious that it couldn't possibly be ignored. Hell, I don`t think the SEC wants to even give an impression that it might be concerned.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Anybody holding their breath waiting on the NCAA on this is going to turn mighty purple, IMHO. With the current state of the NCAA, they will have to be literally forced somehow by other universities to seriously investigate OM. And even then it probably wouldn`t happen unless the OM coaching staff and/or a prominent booster did something so blatant, obvious and egregious that it couldn't possibly be ignored. Hell, I don`t think the SEC wants to even give an impression that it might be concerned.
Yeah, and they have Finebum now acting as a PR agent for free$e

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Very true my point is though OM is having a pretty good run right now, and kids are paying attention especially when the coaches are guaranteeing them a starting position. That being said I agree with the method Saban uses, when he tells the kids point blank they have an opportunity to start or play and that it pretty much up to them.
Thankfully there are more level headed kids and/or surrounding family members that understand football players only have a limited time to play in the NFL which can easily be derailed by one devastating injury. The quality coaching a player receives at Alabama is worth far more in the long run than starting on day one. However, Coach is not reticent about playing true freshmen a la Calvin Ridley, Fitzpatrick, Ronnie, etc.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Since they have done nothing to North Carolina for decades of academic fraud....how could they even think about investigating another university.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
If the conference commissioner and a prominent HC from another school in that conference got together and worked with the ncaa to set them up they would take action.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If the conference commissioner and a prominent HC from another school in that conference got together and worked with the ncaa to set them up they would take action.
I'm glad those two jokers are long gone...:cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.