News Article: Alabama Leaders Tell Team: 'Either You're with Us or You're Against Us'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Jonathan Allen isn't worried about hurting anyone's feelings.

As one of the leaders on Alabama's defense, Allen expects his teammates to buy into the overall mission over everything else. If a player can't do that, especially a younger one, Alabama's sack leader is done with him. His fellow defensive linemen A'Shawn Robinson and Jarran Reed carry a similar mentality.

"The way we feel is either you're with us or you're against us," Allen said. "If you're not helping this team out, you're against us, and if you're against us we have nothing to say to you. I hate to be like that, but it's a train you need to either get on or get off."

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I sure hope Coach Saban still has a hand on the Leadership Council....because even though I believe it's a brilliant strategy for Coach....it's one that these guys may not quite have the maturity to keep it under control....

It's one of those things that can be a wonderful thing, but can easily go over the cliff if it's not handled well.....

Love the passion though....but I hope they don't come in too tight.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I sure hope Coach Saban still has a hand on the Leadership Council....because even though I believe it's a brilliant strategy for Coach....it's one that these guys may not quite have the maturity to keep it under control....

It's one of those things that can be a wonderful thing, but can easily go over the cliff if it's not handled well.....

Love the passion though....but I hope they don't come in too tight.

Reminds me of Jim Mcelwain letting his players decide whether a suspended player would be allowed back to play in the SECCG against us. I get the gist of why he was doing it, but at the end of the day it needs to be his call. Same here. Truth is though, (and this is just opinion based on what I've seen over the years) Saban wouldn't cede that much control of his team over to players. I think he's grown to seriously weigh their opinions on team matters but at the end of the day...Coach Nick Saban will do what he think is best overall for this football team.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys, you're not looking at this in a way the article is trying to tell you. It's about how they hold them accountable for each other and how Reed, Robinson and Ragland police themselves and other making sure everyone is on the same page. I don't see nothing wrong with their approach. Saban dont' seem to have issue with it, so why should we? It worked this year... so why now questioning it?

and To tidefan23, I think they were talking about TB indirectly, but we haven't had any issues... and I don't expect us to have one before the game.

Guys, you're not looking at this in a way the article is trying to tell you. It's about how they hold them accountable for each other and how Reed, Robinson and Ragland police themselves and other making sure everyone is on the same page. I don't see nothing wrong with their approach. Saban dont' seem to have issue with it, so why should we? It worked this year... so why now questioning it?

and To tidefan23, I think they were talking about TB indirectly, but we haven't had any issues... and I don't expect us to have one before the game.
Agreed. If they would have made the wrong decision I think CNS would have stepped in.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I agree with everything that's happened, so far.....I think it's worked beautifully....my only comment, is that power, at times, can go too far....and thing can unravel at times....think Dwight Schrute ;)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Saban has the final say on ANYTHING regarding the football program.

He listens to player input, and weights it heavily. But if he disagreed with anything the players' council did, I promise he'd try to persuade them to his way of thinking.

If push came to shove, and he felt the matter was material, he would overrule.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Saban has the final say on ANYTHING regarding the football program.

He listens to player input, and weights it heavily. But if he disagreed with anything the players' council did, I promise he'd try to persuade them to his way of thinking.

If push came to shove, and he felt the matter was material, he would overrule.
I completely agree. Still, I feel like Saban programs these players so much that they probably never disagree with him anyway :)

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
This bodes well for the whole program. All these underclassmen will look to this experience when faced with future adversity. I like it.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I remember a few years ago, I think the 2013 team, phil savage shared that coach saban was worried about the team because he was having to do too much policing. The best teams we have had have strong leadership from the players. They police themselves. Coach saban is always in charge but the less he has to deal with discipline the better.

I remember a few years ago, I think the 2013 team, phil savage shared that coach saban was worried about the team because he was having to do too much policing. The best teams we have had have strong leadership from the players. They police themselves. Coach saban is always in charge but the less he has to deal with discipline the better.
Yeah, 2012 team chose to send Anderson and Lee home and we won it all that year. We have great leadership ok this team this year too.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.