Link: Article: AJ McCarron's Cockiness Could Be Just What the Bengals Need

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
LINK

Who is AJ McCarron? His cockiness has been chronicled, but in speaking with scouts and team executives about McCarron this week, all of whom followed him closely during the draft process, it sounds like he was cockier than generally known. These officials spoke highly of McCarron but also said his arrogance was the reason he fell in the draft.
Now it's time for A.J. to show he wasn't exaggerating when he said he should be a 1st round choice.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Artical: AJ McCarron's Cockiness Could Be Just What the Bengals Need

I wonder what the draft interviews were like???

Interviewer, "We are thinking of taking you with an early pick, but we haven't won in a long time."
McCarron, " Alabama Does!" *Blank Stare*

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK

His cockiness caused him to fall in the draft? Good thing $cam or Johnny Fooseball aren't cocky. Seriously, a league full of arrogant players and AJ was too cocky. Ridiculous.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

If you are planning to have any success playing that position, you'd better be cocky.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

His cockiness caused him to fall in the draft? Good thing $cam or Johnny Fooseball aren't cocky. Seriously, a league full of arrogant players and AJ was too cocky. Ridiculous.
This was the story being told prior to and after the draft. It is ridiculous he fell that far in the draft but AJ will show them all he is the real deal soon. He can play in this league and play well. I'm looking forward to Saturday night. It has been a long time since I could watch a NFL play-off game and pull for a former Bama QB.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL

AJ should have raped his girlfriend or stole something. That doesn't seem to affect anyone's draft status.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

here is a better analysis of why he dropped.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...eport-and-outlook-heading-into-2014-nfl-draft

The op's article is more trying to hype the Saturday night game up and take a different angle than steelers offense vs the bengals defense. Aj's cockiness probably swayed some looks, but there were more concerns than that.

Orion6

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 15, 2005

I never understood why he was drafted so low. One of the reasons I hate the NFL is their "kingmaker" mentality. If they want you to have the chance, you'll have it, if you don't fit their mold 100% or you don't offer some kind of controversy (Manziel), you don't get "made".

If McCarron is given the chance, he'll be as good as many and better than most in the NFL. Just my opinion.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

here is a better analysis of why he dropped.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/article...eport-and-outlook-heading-into-2014-nfl-draft

The op's article is more trying to hype the Saturday night game up and take a different angle than steelers offense vs the bengals defense. Aj's cockiness probably swayed some looks, but there were more concerns than that.
Too bad Namath wasn't cocky lol. The good thing is that AJ is proving to be a solid backup, and perceived better than some starters, so he is doing something that no other quarterback since Rutledge has done, make a career out of it. Does Coker have a stonger arm? I think he does, and we will have 2 in the league next year no doubt.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

AJ showed a little too much "I"

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

AJ showed a little too much "I"
That is probably true, but at the end of the day Cam was the first player selected in his draft. All the confidence aside, I think skipping the senior bowl was his biggest mistake and his personality probably did little damage to his draft position. He could never could shake the "game manager" label, he had average arm strength and coach Saban was not known to produce NFL quarterbacks. He is in the right place to prove himself and to have a long career.

I remember being here on the board when there was talk of him leaving after is junior year, and most thought he was 1-2 rounder. My position was that he would stay and get drafted in the 2nd round, so I even low balled it being on the conservative side.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Too bad Namath wasn't cocky lol. The good thing is that AJ is proving to be a solid backup, and perceived better than some starters, so he is doing something that no other quarterback since Rutledge has done, make a career out of it. Does Coker have a stonger arm? I think he does, and we will have 2 in the league next year no doubt.
Well, joe Namath's era was fairly different and he was the cream of the crop at qbs as well. Aj wasn't a top 5 qb in his draft to most scouts. I think aj is doing ok for right now.

As far as Coker... The best fit for him probably is with the steelers because of his similarities to Ben who is getting up there in miles. But unless the msu game really shocked people in the nfl, then he too is probably a 5th to 6th rounder as well.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Well, joe Namath's era was fairly different and he was the cream of the crop at qbs as well. Aj wasn't a top 5 qb in his draft to most scouts. I think aj is doing ok for right now.

As far as Coker... The best fit for him probably is with the steelers because of his similarities to Ben who is getting up there in miles. But unless the msu game really shocked people in the nfl, then he too is probably a 5th to 6th rounder as well.
I would love to see Coker with the Sleelers, what a great fit that would be. If you look at his progress, I think if we win this game that he could go as early as the 4th. He has the arm, athleticism, instincts to elude, the intangibles to be a solid pocket passer. If he goes out and has another solid game and wins a NC, I think someone will take a gamble. What is his ceiling?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.