Sports Writers Are Using The Wrong Grammar When Discussing The Tide

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Y'all, it all depends on HOW "the Crimson Tide" is being used. If the action is being carried out as ONE unit, then the singular verb is used. If the action is being carried out with each member acting independently, the plural verb is used.

Let me use an example other than our beloved Tide.
The audience CLAPS at the end of the performance. (The audience as ONE UNIT claps together.)
The audience VISIT the concession stand during intermission. (Not everyone visits the concession stand, and not everyone visits at the SAME time during intermission,)

The Crimson Tide PLAYS Monday night. (The team as a whole will be participants in the game; therefore, a singular verb.)

The Crimson Tide HAVE certain game-day rituals. (Not every plays has the same ritual, so the plural verb is used.)

Whether it sounds right or wrong is beside the point. The grammar rules are the rules. My students are always telling me something doesn't sound "right" when it actually is. I tell them I don't make the rules. I just enforce them. Or try to... 
You make some good points professor.
The only written statement(or similar) that I have a real problem with is when Rappaport wrote, "The Tide have basically been in a playoff since the Ole Miss loss."
To me, that "Tide" is a singular unit, and it should be "has".
From your expertise, is that correct, or am I being incorrect?
Thanks.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The Crimson Tide have went to Texas to play for a Natty. There opponents is the #1 rated Clemson Tigers. At the end of the day only one team can be the true champion, though.

Roll Tideeeee!

:)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
The origin of the school’s elephant mascot was the 1930 season. At that time, Coach Wallace Wade was the team’s General. During a game versus Mississippi, an Alabama fan shouted, “…the elephants are coming!” referring to Alabama’s huge, aggressive players.
Should he have said, the Elephant is coming? lol

tmv85

All-SEC
You make some good points professor.
The only written statement(or similar) that I have a real problem with is when Rappaport wrote, "The Tide have basically been in a playoff since the Ole Miss loss."
To me, that "Tide" is a singular unit, and it should be "has".
From your expertise, is that correct, or am I being incorrect?
Thanks.
As someone earlier said, journalistic style is different. If you and I were talking, then "has" would be correct, but I do think "have" is what is used in journalism. Like you, it makes me crazy.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I was reading Ian Rappaport or however you spell it and he wrote something like, "The Crimson Tide HAVE now won blah blah blah".
No Ian, the Crimson Tide HAVEn't won anything. The Crimson Tide is one unit, one team comprised of Crimson Tide Players. Therefore, the Crimson Tide HAS , and the Crimson Tide PLayers HAVE.
The Stanford Cardinal HAS..The Cardinal Players HAVE
Johnny HAS..
Not a biggie but it drives me nuts and it's getting more and more frequent.
RTR!
sip
P.S.--If I'm misinformed please inform me :)
No, you are not misinformed. I wish somebody in charge would explain this to all these sportswriters and sportscasters.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Last comment on this thread, I think.

If the Crimson Tide are plural we will probably lose.

If the Crimson Tide is singular, we win!!!!!!! The Crimson Tide has to play as a team. If the Crimson Tide has a singular FOCUS, we win. RTR!!!!!!!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Maybe in England.

I guess this has been stuck in your craw for a while now, eh?
:biggrin:

However, I'm with you. I think the vast majority of the time is should be "the Crimson Tide has", as the vast majority of the time the phrase is referring to the team or program as a whole, not as a collection of individual players.

So, why not just substitute the phrases "the team", "the program", and "the players" in the appropriate instances and use what would be correct in those cases???

In 2016 so far, the team has won 10 games.
In 2016 so far, the Crimson Tide has won 10 games.

Since 2008, the program has won 108 games on the field.
Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has won 108 games on the field.

This season, the players have sacked opposing quarterbacks 40 times.
This season, the Crimson Tide have sacked opposing quarterbacks 40 times.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
I love this. Bama's so good there's nothing controversial to discuss in November so a grammar thread gets 8+ pages.

I think both singular and plural are correct. English sports announcers say things like, "This ManU side have really played well" all the time.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is how big the fine should be when a sportscaster says, "Stadiums". I hate that.

I was just going over old threads and I saw this. I still think it is funny how we all have differing opinions. I have always said that the Tide is on unit. There was nothing plural about it unless you started talking about the people in that unit. It's like said Apple are making iPhones. The staff are making the decisions. Strange people.
I guess this has been stuck in your craw for a while now, eh?
:biggrin:

However, I'm with you. I think the vast majority of the time is should be "the Crimson Tide has", as the vast majority of the time the phrase is referring to the team or program as a whole, not as a collection of individual players.

So, why not just substitute the phrases "the team", "the program", and "the players" in the appropriate instances and use what would be correct in those cases???

In 2016 so far, the team has won 10 games.
In 2016 so far, the Crimson Tide has won 10 games.

Since 2008, the program has won 108 games on the field.
Since 2008, the Crimson Tide has won 108 games on the field.

This season, the players have sacked opposing quarterbacks 40 times.
This season, the Crimson Tide have sacked opposing quarterbacks 40 times.

I love this. Bama's so good there's nothing controversial to discuss in November so a grammar thread gets 8+ pages.

I think both singular and plural are correct. English sports announcers say things like, "This ManU side have really played well" all the time.

The real question we need to ask ourselves is how big the fine should be when a sportscaster says, "Stadiums". I hate that.

They have it wrong too. They are talking about one side. It should be has. Now, if they are talking about the people within that side then that's totally different.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
This has been an interesting and helpful thread for me. I, like Alasippi, et al, am driven nuts by what I thought was incorrect grammar. To know that it's journalistically correct, though verbally optional, removes a burr from my saddle, even though it still sounds terrible. Thanks for the clarification, which has increased my knowledge and thereby, somewhat mollified my irritation 😊.

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
I also think the "Tide are" usage sounds wrong, and I prefer to use the "Tide is", even if both are technically correct. What really gets my goat though, is the word "historic." I absolutely abhor the improper use of "an" in front of historic. As in, "The Crimson Tide is in the midst of an historic run!" It's "a historic run" because the dadgum H ain't silent!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I instinctively think "stadia," but then I had several years of Latin inflicted on me. In law, in Alabama, years ago, like 25 or so, we did away with "Executor" in wills in favor of "Personal Representative." It was mainly to get away from Latin. Feminine for "Executor" is "Executrix." Worst yet, the feminine plural is "Executrices."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Grammar-wise, it's a gray area. Either is technically correct...
This why I hated English, well grammar, in school. There seemed to be no rules and we had all these gray areas we needed to make judgment calls on. I can see one deer but not two deers. I can see you with one beer and then I can see you with two beers. Seriously, it should be a crime to red ink children with silliness like this. It is a shame grown people do this. And no, don't waste your time trying to justify this silliness.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.