2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

if you want to see it that way. i made an actual choice when i voted in the primary

But your choice didn't matter to the 'super delegates' or the party, either.

Btw - 'rigged' (which they were) doesn't mean she wouldn't have won anyway. I'm not saying that - but the outcome was predetermined. And btw - political parties CAN do that, it's part of how they survive. The GOP wishes it had the foresight to do that this year (and 1964 as well). So yes, Hillary probably still wins, but let's not pretend that was an on the up and up primary, either.

As far as the GOP goes - and this is an honest question for ANYONE....who exactly should they have run and nominated?????

It's easy to say - and this happens every election - 'well, if only candidate X had run.' And btw - when Trump loses, it's going to be because CONSERVATIVES who have been voting for the GOP since at least 1964, didn't vote for him. But it's not like the party wasn't warned. Ted Cruz would be a better nominee than Trump - even if he lost. So, too, Rubio or Kasich or Walker.

My god, the spit on the bottom of my shoe would be a better nominee than Trump.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You call this a DECENT candidate ??? Jeez, give it up.

She's all yours.
I don't recall Jon saying that.

Just because Trump is a horrible candidate doesn't miraculously turn the She-beast into a GOOD one - and, in fact ,she really isn't.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

But your choice didn't matter to the 'super delegates' or the party, either.

Btw - 'rigged' (which they were) doesn't mean she wouldn't have won anyway. I'm not saying that - but the outcome was predetermined. And btw - political parties CAN do that, it's part of how they survive. The GOP wishes it had the foresight to do that this year (and 1964 as well). So yes, Hillary probably still wins, but let's not pretend that was an on the up and up primary, either.

As far as the GOP goes - and this is an honest question for ANYONE....who exactly should they have run and nominated?????

It's easy to say - and this happens every election - 'well, if only candidate X had run.' And btw - when Trump loses, it's going to be because CONSERVATIVES who have been voting for the GOP since at least 1964, didn't vote for him. But it's not like the party wasn't warned. Ted Cruz would be a better nominee than Trump - even if he lost. So, too, Rubio or Kasich or Walker.

My god, the spit on the bottom of my shoe would be a better nominee than Trump.
if you need to pretend they're rigged, go right ahead.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

We agree there, the others were no better which is why I said "all you had to do is muster up 1 decent candidate but you couldn't"​

go with Selma's memory, I am on record as saying Hillary is a horrible, awful, terrible choice for President which is why simply a decent candidate could easily beat her. That's the point, you guys didn't even need "good" or "great" simply "decent" would be enough and you couldn't do it. So we end up with President Hillary. I resigned myself to it months ago, you should too, this election was over before it began. GOP took all the recommendations made by their consultants after Romney's defeat and did the opposite doubling down on all the ridiculous bronze age BS that the country has moved past. Y'all need to hit reset, kick the churchies to the curb and stop with try to control the lives and bedrooms of adults who don't need your superstitions. You'll never win another national election if not. I doubt the Dems will ever put up a worse candidate than Clinton and she is pulling ahead in the polls and that's with the support of Rush, Hanity, Fox and the rest of the right wing feedback loop media

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

they haven't in quite a long while
Because most of the establishment Reps gave joined the establishment Dems giving the voters little to no choice in the way of quality candidates. Which is exactly why Trump is so wildly popular with voters and he is so unpopular with "the establishment". He threatens their plans to ensure their stranglehold on Capitol Hill.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Because most of the establishment Reps gave joined the establishment Dems giving the voters little to no choice in the way of quality candidates. Which is exactly why Trump is so wildly popular with voters and he is so unpopular with "the establishment". He threatens their plans to ensure their stranglehold on Capitol Hill.
Trump is popular with voters for exactly the reason Earle's Psychology Today article stated, go back and read it, it was spot on.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

jmho, but the republicans aren't even trying to provide "quality" candidates. i believe that is in large part because the base (at least a big chunk of them) doesn't want "quality" candidates, they want someone like trump to put those smart arsed "elitists/establishment folks/libs/dems/etc" in their place.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

jmho, but the republicans aren't even trying to provide "quality" candidates. i believe that is in large part because the base (at least a big chunk of them) doesn't want "quality" candidates, they want someone like trump to put those smart arsed "elitists/establishment folks/libs/dems/etc" in their place.
Outside of Trump, and maybe Sarah Palin or Herman Cain last time....I'm not sure who else you see as "Trump like".....

tidegrandpa

All-American

go with Selma's memory, I am on record as saying Hillary is a horrible, awful, terrible choice for President which is why simply a decent candidate could easily beat her. That's the point, you guys didn't even need "good" or "great" simply "decent" would be enough and you couldn't do it. So we end up with President Hillary. I resigned myself to it months ago, you should too, this election was over before it began. GOP took all the recommendations made by their consultants after Romney's defeat and did the opposite doubling down on all the ridiculous bronze age BS that the country has moved past. Y'all need to hit reset, kick the churchies to the curb and stop with try to control the lives and bedrooms of adults who don't need your superstitions. You'll never win another national election if not. I doubt the Dems will ever put up a worse candidate than Clinton and she is pulling ahead in the polls and that's with the support of Rush, Hanity, Fox and the rest of the right wing feedback loop media
Really ?

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

The only way that the republicans have joined the democrats is in their attempts to grow government and run a deficit.

I think it boils down to the fact that the last few republican presidents haven't stuck to their conservative fiscal policies. No one can say that GWB was a fiscal conservative, and if you attempt to say that Trump is one, I will call you a bald faced liar. The days when there was a big bad boogie monster (USSR) to scare people into the party that was strong on the military are long gone. They have tried with ISIS but it isn't gaining traction. The nation as a whole is getting more liberal with regards to the electorate getting younger. There aren't nearly as many people voting on purely "moral" issues anymore. That has been decided with regards to young people's desire for the government to have less intrusive policies about who they can marry and what they can do with their own bodies regarding the legislation of morality.

I know I have said this in the past, and probably sound like I am beating a dead horse, but gerrymandering is a huge issue, and it has essentially created an echo chamber that the republicans are using to evaluate what types of candidates are the most palatable to the country. The last two elections, and likely this one, should have given them enough data to realize this is a failing strategy. The scenario is much like that woman who referenced the fact that all of her friends, and all of the people she interacts with online, are Trump supporters. This is enough of a sample size for her to provide a legitimate reason to know that if Trump loses, the election was rigged.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Growing up, were you Catholic? Baptist? Other? Nothing?
I describe my upbringing as "Maternal guilt based Catholic" as in Mom never really bought it but spent too many years getting brain washed as a child that she thought raising her boys in the Church was something she should do. We rebelled, hard until she gave up and pulled us out. Too many times having to go talk to the Nuns as my brother and I were constantly skipping Sunday school. Good thing too as the Priest that ran that particular parish has been accused of touching quite a few little boys during that time period. Dad is borderline Agnostic but more in the "don't care" and "I'd rather sleep in" than putting any real thought into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.