2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Well, for one, the real estate business is part of the market society where good ideas rise and bad ideas bankrupt you. Real world consequences don't apply in Washington. Moreover, he can't fire anybody. I think that will be a real problem for him. He can't fire the Speaker, or the Majority leader, or any of the Senators and House members, no matter how incompetent. He has to make deals with them. Now, I think his business experience helps him there, but running the country isn't like running a company. The President can do very little on his own.

He can pick his cabinet.

And like you said, his business experience is a plus in dealing with congress and others.

I also think in this case - Trump is like no other outsider coming into Washington. He already has established himself in the global community as a producer. He has a LOT of global respect. With respect you usually get results through successful negotiation.

The respect he brings into the office he earned in the real world - not the political area. In the real world like you said - you either rise or fall with no safety net. He has risen.

Right now I'd wager every important political leader in the world knows who Trump is. So when and if he's elected president - it's just a matter of setting up meetings and agendas and doing a little business.

I do believe running a country is not unlike running a business. You deal with people, money, and a whole lot of BSers! :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

It is probably best if the adults just leave the kids out of politics until the kids grow up can make up their own minds.
I would rather have a children's choir or singing group, etc. do a rendition of America the Beautiful or God Bless America or some other patriotic song....Johnny Comes Marching Home? :)

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham

Usually a person with no experience in something (Trump and Carson in this particular case) fail because they have no clue what they're doing. Talk about DC being corrupt. Do you not think someone with no experience and no idea how it works is somehow less of a target? If anything, they're more gullible and more of a target to be bought.
You say this like there's not a bloated bureaucracy in every layer below the President to execute.And you think a man who's admitted to buying politicians is more gullible to be bought than the one's running who most certainly are bought and paid for?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Usually a person with no experience in something (Trump and Carson in this particular case) fail because they have no clue what they're doing. Talk about DC being corrupt. Do you not think someone with no experience and no idea how it works is somehow less of a target? If anything, they're more gullible and more of a target to be bought.
All one has to do to prove this is compare

OBAMA: "I won" (and then wonders why nobody on the other side likes him)

with

REAGAN: "okay, here's the deal: if you'll vote for my tax and budget bills the first year, I will NOT campaign against you in the mid-term elections..." (because he had had to deal with the opposing party when he was governor)

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Hello Madam President Clinton! If Trump is selected the Republican candidate to go against Clinton it is a slam dunk for Clinton. She will be a huge favorite over Cruz but there is the possibility of an upset however small. Any of the other candidates... turn out the lights.

Trump will be his own worst enemy against Clinton. He will be one sexist, racist remark from her beating him in a landslide and believe me they will be ready to pounce when he does it. What he is doing now is in effect orchestrating the Clinton's game plan against Cruz. If he knocks Cruz out using the Democratic game plan, then that saves them the trouble of having to go against their toughest opponent. If somehow Cruz overtakes Trump then the Democrats will have to scramble for another game plan of attack against Cruz or at least adjust it being careful to learn from Trumps mistakes.

Of course if Trump is trumped for Cruz, he will run Independent effectively handing Clinton enough votes that almost certainly wins it for her. The best case scenario to defeat Clinton would be for Cruz to go against her and for Trump to either run with Cruz on the Republican ticket or endorse Cruz and bow out.

Hello Madam President Clinton!! ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Hello Madam President Clinton! If Trump is selected the Republican candidate to go against Clinton it is a slam dunk for Clinton. She will be a huge favorite over Cruz but there is the possibility of an upset however small. Any of the other candidates... turn out the lights.

Trump will be his own worst enemy against Clinton. He will be one sexist, racist remark from her beating him in a landslide and believe me they will be ready to pounce when he does it. What he is doing now is in effect orchestrating the Clinton's game plan against Cruz. If he knocks Cruz out using the Democratic game plan, then that saves them the trouble of having to go against their toughest opponent. If somehow Cruz overtakes Trump then the Democrats will have to scramble for another game plan of attack against Cruz or at least adjust it being careful to learn from Trumps mistakes.

Of course if Trump is trumped for Cruz, he will run Independent effectively handing Clinton enough votes that almost certainly wins it for her. The best case scenario to defeat Clinton would be for Cruz to go against her and for Trump to either run with Cruz on the Republican ticket or endorse Cruz and bow out.

My own opinion is she will be indicted before the election for something. She has enough baggage to capsize the Queen Mary!

To understand the gravity of these issues, it is important to recognize that this is not just an “email scandal.” It is an “email + server + foundation” scandal.” Secretary Clinton didn’t just send sensitive (and now-classified) emails over open lines, she stored them on private servers that didn’t meet the government’s cyber-security standards for sensitive documents. On its face, retaining classified materials in such vulnerable settings is a criminal violation. Senior intelligence officials have been charged for less – far less. Storing some 1,300 classified documents on a personal server, and doing it for years, poses a special problem because it shows the mishandling was not inadvertent. It was Clinton’s standard operating procedure.
LINK

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

With all due respect Baz, and let me be clear, I hope you are right about Clinton, but her baggage will not deter voters. I have been around political elections since Nixon and it is sad to say that integrity and morals don't mean squat when electing any public official at any level.

I know there are a lot of posters on here who want to believe she will be indicted and serve time, but it will not happen, although I think it should. The media is trying to keep ratings up, and give Republican's hope by reporting Sanders can defeat her for the Dems nomination, what a freakin joke. Unfortunately for America, the Clintons are a national brand and most voters are enamored with the brand that they had rather have that brand rather than a Republican.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

With all due respect Baz, and let me be clear, I hope you are right about Clinton, but her baggage will not deter voters. I have been around political elections since Nixon and it is sad to say that integrity and morals don't mean squat when electing any public official at any level.

I know there are a lot of posters on here who want to believe she will be indicted and serve time, but it will not happen, although I think it should. The media is trying to keep ratings up, and give Republican's hope by reporting Sanders can defeat her for the Dems nomination, what a freakin joke. Unfortunately for America, the Clintons are a national brand and most voters are enamored with the brand that they had rather have that brand rather than a Republican.
Yes, I lost all faith in the American electorate in 1992. I'm not sure what kind of person would vote for such a scumbag.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Thanks for your reply, Gray.

I totally understand your frustration and agree, there are far too many who vote for (what they perceive to be) a platform that will 'look out for them', when in reality - they (and the rest of the country) continues to suffer.

To be clear with my post - she doesn't need to serve time to be derailed. But if charges are brought - an indictment - it's game over - no matter how many sheep she has in her flock.

We shall see what happens....

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

No one outside the mainstream media that propped her up would refer to her like that. Board rules prevent me from saying what most people would call her.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

there's no evidence to support your theory

Marion Barry
Bill Clinton
Richard Nixon
Huey Long
JFK
Joe McCarthy

No evidence at all..

I know there are a lot of posters on here who want to believe she will be indicted and serve time, but it will not happen, although I think it should. The media is trying to keep ratings up, and give Republican's hope by reporting Sanders can defeat her for the Dems nomination, what a freakin joke.
This is actually MORE LIKELY than Trump winning the GOP nomination. Granted, it's a snowball's chance in Hell but if you go back and look historically since we moved to the primary system, the GOP ALWAYS nominates their front-runner (usually the person whose 'turn' it is) and the Democrats do so about half the time:

1968 - LBJ front-runner, nominated Humphrey
1972 - Muskie, McGovern
1976 - Kennedy (didn't run), Carter clawed it out as the front-runner
1980 - Kennedy put a scare in the incumbent Carter, who led early on by 50 points
1984 - Mondale, Mondale.....but it went all the way to the Convention
1988 - Hart, Dukakis (although Hart DQ'ed himself, he likely would have lost anyway per the polls)
1992 - Clinton, Clinton
1996 - incumbent unchallenged
2000 - Gore, Gore
2004 - Dean, Kerry
2008 - HRC, Obama

Furthermore, Sanders is nothing more than undiluted George McGovern on steroids. (Even McGovern had limits he wasn't willing to push in the 1972 race - strange as it may sound, he thought abortion, which was not legal until 1973, should be left up to the states). Sanders IS what the Democratic base in this country has been my entire life (which is why it has shrunk from the 54% of the nation it made up in 1968).

Hillary Clinton is a terrible candidate. Of course, terrible candidates do win sometimes (insert GHW Bush reference here).....if their opponent is an even worse candidate. She's had one REAL contested race in her lifetime - and she lost. As soon as it becomes obvious to other sections of the country that she is NOT to be crowned then she has a major problem (this is why Sanders MUST win Iowa AND New Hampshire or it's over).

Of course, the Democrats have super-delegates in order to keep anyone the voters actually choose but the establishment opposes from actually running.

Unfortunately for America, the Clintons are a national brand and most voters are enamored with the brand that they had rather have that brand rather than a Republican.
But are they, Gray?

What percentage of voters even REMEMBER Bill Clinton's Presidency? Figure that my son will be 18 this year (but after the election so he cannot vote) - he was born the week the House voted to impeach Clinton. HE HAS NO RECOLLECTION of Clinton as President at all. In fact, to even have a VAGUE memory of any of Clinton's politics, you have to be about 34 years old and to have a CLEAR memory ("yeah, those were good times") you have to be around forty. That's about the age folks are in the midst of their (usual maturity) shift of moving from the left to the right of center, something that hardly benefits Hillary Clinton. (The bonus plus for Hillary is that those same folks at the same age know of Donald Trump as "the guy who destroyed the USFL" and "the rich, pompous windbag who went bankrupt multiple times").

Of the ones who remember it, how old do you have to have been to have been making an actual living and can make the association of "Clinton Good/Bush Bad?" You have to be about my age, and we're the folks who cannot stand that woman because we watched her rise as a queen in the first place and suddenly disappear after her health care fiasco.

My point is NOT that Hillary cannot win, she's undoubtedly the favorite and the most likely winner at this point. But the fact she has the name is not to my mind (other than among the echo chamber of Democratic liberalism) sufficient to find even a plurality of voters who will support her.

Yes, there's some mindless nonsense going on by people who cannot even make an assessment of the 1990s JUST AS GW Bush got elected mostly due to his name. But Sanders beating Hillary would not be nearly the upset the self-appointed media arbiters like to pretend it would be.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

My point is NOT that Hillary cannot win, she's undoubtedly the favorite and the most likely winner at this point. But the fact she has the name is not to my mind (other than among the echo chamber of Democratic liberalism) sufficient to find even a plurality of voters who will support her.
Isn't it funny that her dad was a Republican? Oh, the delicious irony.

tidegrandpa

All-American

there's no evidence to support your theory

Marion Barry
Bill Clinton
Richard Nixon
Huey Long
JFK
Joe McCarthy

No evidence at all..

This is actually MORE LIKELY than Trump winning the GOP nomination. Granted, it's a snowball's chance in Hell but if you go back and look historically since we moved to the primary system, the GOP ALWAYS nominates their front-runner (usually the person whose 'turn' it is) and the Democrats do so about half the time:

1968 - LBJ front-runner, nominated Humphrey
1972 - Muskie, McGovern
1976 - Kennedy (didn't run), Carter clawed it out as the front-runner
1980 - Kennedy put a scare in the incumbent Carter, who led early on by 50 points
1984 - Mondale, Mondale.....but it went all the way to the Convention
1988 - Hart, Dukakis (although Hart DQ'ed himself, he likely would have lost anyway per the polls)
1992 - Clinton, Clinton
1996 - incumbent unchallenged
2000 - Gore, Gore
2004 - Dean, Kerry
2008 - HRC, Obama

Furthermore, Sanders is nothing more than undiluted George McGovern on steroids. (Even McGovern had limits he wasn't willing to push in the 1972 race - strange as it may sound, he thought abortion, which was not legal until 1973, should be left up to the states). Sanders IS what the Democratic base in this country has been my entire life (which is why it has shrunk from the 54% of the nation it made up in 1968).

Hillary Clinton is a terrible candidate. Of course, terrible candidates do win sometimes (insert GHW Bush reference here).....if their opponent is an even worse candidate. She's had one REAL contested race in her lifetime - and she lost. As soon as it becomes obvious to other sections of the country that she is NOT to be crowned then she has a major problem (this is why Sanders MUST win Iowa AND New Hampshire or it's over).

Of course, the Democrats have super-delegates in order to keep anyone the voters actually choose but the establishment opposes from actually running.

But are they, Gray?

What percentage of voters even REMEMBER Bill Clinton's Presidency? Figure that my son will be 18 this year (but after the election so he cannot vote) - he was born the week the House voted to impeach Clinton. HE HAS NO RECOLLECTION of Clinton as President at all. In fact, to even have a VAGUE memory of any of Clinton's politics, you have to be about 34 years old and to have a CLEAR memory ("yeah, those were good times") you have to be around forty. That's about the age folks are in the midst of their (usual maturity) shift of moving from the left to the right of center, something that hardly benefits Hillary Clinton. (The bonus plus for Hillary is that those same folks at the same age know of Donald Trump as "the guy who destroyed the USFL" and "the rich, pompous windbag who went bankrupt multiple times").

Of the ones who remember it, how old do you have to have been to have been making an actual living and can make the association of "Clinton Good/Bush Bad?" You have to be about my age, and we're the folks who cannot stand that woman because we watched her rise as a queen in the first place and suddenly disappear after her health care fiasco.

Yes, there's some mindless nonsense going on by people who cannot even make an assessment of the 1990s JUST AS GW Bush got elected mostly due to his name. But Sanders beating Hillary would not be nearly the upset the self-appointed media arbiters like to pretend it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.