2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

No, that is not all he's done. And just to be clear, Trump has not suggested that we close the borders specifically to Syrian refugees (which would be analogous to what Carter did with Iran). Instead, he has actually proposed closing the borders to any person belonging to a specific and major world religion.

In addition, he's repeatedly pushed the (debunked) notion that thousands of Muslims cheered when the WTC buildings collapsed. He stated that he'd support registering all Muslim citizens in a federal database. He has proposed surveillance of mosques and even shutting down certain Muslim places of worship.

Now, if I replace "Muslim" with "Christian," would you consider those ideas to be hateful?
To be clear, it's not Christians who are responsible for violent acts against innocent civilians just because they aren't Muslims.
At the present, Muslims, at least extremists, are killing and maiming innocent civilians for no other reasons than because they don't share the same 'religious' convictions as themselves.
But if it were the other way around, then yes, those acts would be met with the same distrusting fervor as are Muslims today.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

To be clear, it's not Christians who are responsible for violent acts against innocent civilians just because they aren't Muslims.
At the present, Muslims, at least extremists, are killing and maiming innocent civilians for no other reasons than because they don't share the same 'religious' convictions as themselves.
But if it were the other way around, then yes, those acts would be met with the same distrusting fervor as are Muslims today.
So do you support what Trump has proposed regarding Muslim-Americans, especially with regards to curtailing civil liberties? And if we were to rewind time 50 years, back to when the KKK was committing cruelties against innocents, should Christians have been treated the same?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005

So do you support what Trump has proposed regarding Muslim-Americans, especially with regards to curtailing civil liberties? And if we were to rewind time 50 years, back to when the KKK was committing cruelties against innocents, should Christians have been treated the same?
Instead of having to say what or who I may have supported way back when I was a teenager, let me turn this around. So do support the Muslims' attack on innocent civilians? If so why, and if not, what would you propose we do about it?

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

To me personally choosing between the Donald and Hillary would be like choosing between Bozo the Clown and Phyllis Diller lol! But...if it comes to that I will have to choose Bozo, Trump! Having nightmares of Madam President Clinton, yikes!!! ;) Hoping against Hope it will be between Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders.

Leaning big time toward Ted at this point but what about the rest of you?? Not the topic question, which I think yes Trump can win and I think most of you believe he can too, but where are "you" leaning at this time. Don't see any need for a new discussion but if ya'll think it should be then someone start a Tidefans way to early poll to see where we stand at this time. :)

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Instead of having to say what or who I may have supported way back when I was a teenager, let me turn this around. So do support the Muslims' attack on innocent civilians? If so why, and if not, what would you propose we do about it?
Nice dodge.

The wording of your posts strikes this issue at the heart. In your previous post, you wrote "Muslims, at least extremists, are killing... innocent civilians." The phrasing implies that non-extremist Muslims might also be murdering innocents, which is absurd. I'd assumed it was just unfortunate and unintended syntax, but now you ask if I support "the Muslims' attack on innocent." It seems very much like you're condemning an entire religion -- 1.5 BILLION people -- for the actions of the radicalized minority.

So to answer your question: no one here supports the actions of extremist Muslim terrorists. But just like I don't ascribe the actions of murderous Christian gangs in central Africa to my Christian neighbors here in America, I also don't assume that every hijab I see when walking down the street is shrouding the face of a murderer.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

---snip---
I also don't assume that every hijab I see when walking down the street is shrouding the face of a murderer.

Charmin - if you don't mind - my opinion on the whole situation - could be resolved with a good sales manager at the white house.

When is the last time you saw a good Muslim included in a white house presser?

Why would they do that?

They would do that to help anti-Muslim Americans see that we are loaded in our country with good Muslim people who would lay THEIR life down for their fellow countryman.

For example one of the just released from Iran Americans is a US Marine - and happens to be a Muslim. For those who are "haters"....if that doesn't give one pause - not sure what would.

If I were the sale manager at the white house I would make sure we had a Muslim featured in the news every day...one who is a patriot.

They are out there....somewhere......we just don't see them. Instead the media loves to show the bad ones. Your fight is with the media and the white house more than with any of us.

Just an opinion....YMMV. :cool:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Well, we did set a precedent with the Japanese.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Charmin - if you don't mind - my opinion on the whole situation - could be resolved with a good sales manager at the white house.

When is the last time you saw a good Muslim included in a white house presser?

Why would they do that?

They would do that to help anti-Muslim Americans see that we are loaded in our country with good Muslim people who would lay THEIR life down for their fellow countryman.

For example one of the just released from Iran Americans is a US Marine - and happens to be a Muslim. For those who are "haters"....if that doesn't give one pause - not sure what would.

If I were the sale manager at the white house I would make sure we had a Muslim featured in the news every day...one who is a patriot.

They are out there....somewhere......we just don't see them. Instead the media loves to show the bad ones. Your fight is with the media and the white house more than with any of us.

Just an opinion....YMMV. :cool:
I never mind opinions. :)

First off, I'm not the one fighting anyone. I'd posit that it's Trump, a few other Republicans, and a subset of their supporters who are starting a fight.

I think your idea is a good one. There have actually been a number of Muslim soldiers who have stood up against Trump's remarks on social media. I doubt that makes it to Fox News, though.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

I never mind opinions. :)

First off, I'm not the one fighting anyone. I'd posit that it's Trump, a few other Republicans, and a subset of their supporters who are starting a fight.

I think your idea is a good one. There have actually been a number of Muslim soldiers who have stood up against Trump's remarks on social media. I doubt that makes it to Fox News, though.

"Argument" would have been more fitting than "fight".

But I know what you're saying.

What bugs me more than what Trump said was that those who are sensationalizing his remarks are not telling the whole story. That he said temporary and not all Muslims. Not American citizens nor diplomats. I can understand the concern. There's a LOT of bad Muslims in the news these days!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Letting Palin speak on behalf of Trump is the first major mistake he has made, IMHO.

I don't see this helping him....yikes!

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005

Nice dodge.

The wording of your posts strikes this issue at the heart. In your previous post, you wrote "Muslims, at least extremists, are killing... innocent civilians." The phrasing implies that non-extremist Muslims might also be murdering innocents, which is absurd. I'd assumed it was just unfortunate and unintended syntax, but now you ask if I support "the Muslims' attack on innocent." It seems very much like you're condemning an entire religion -- 1.5 BILLION people -- for the actions of the radicalized minority.

So to answer your question: no one here supports the actions of extremist Muslim terrorists. But just like I don't ascribe the actions of murderous Christian gangs in central Africa to my Christian neighbors here in America, I also don't assume that every hijab I see when walking down the street is shrouding the face of a murderer.

I wasn't dodging anything. In fact, I simply reversed your own dodge (asking me if I would have supported the KKK 50 years ago) and returned to the subject a hand.
I don't, and don't think anyone here does, assume that any and every person we see wearing a hijab and walking down the street is a murderer. However it seems that whenever we see or hear of a suicide (homicide) bomber killing and maiming dozens of innocent people, an Islamic group takes responsibility for it.
After a while, and it's been a lot more than just ''a while'' we really don't have to wait. We already know who's behind it. It only stands to reason that we quit standing around waiting to be a target and take the offense. What we do towards that goal is less important than right or wrong, we must do something.
If I might use a football analogy, we start the game, then make adjustments as the game progress. But you can never win the game if you don't let your offense take the field.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Letting Palin speak on behalf of Trump is the first major mistake he has made, IMHO.

I don't this helping him....yikes!
did bible spice say drill baby drill?

i hate it when these folks bring their kids into the mix

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

I wasn't dodging anything. In fact, I simply reversed your own dodge (asking me if I would have supported the KKK 50 years ago) and returned to the subject a hand.
I don't, and don't think anyone here does, assume that any and every person we see wearing a hijab and walking down the street is a murderer. However it seems that whenever we see or hear of a suicide (homicide) bomber killing and maiming dozens of innocent people, an Islamic group takes responsibility for it.
After a while, and it's been a lot more than just ''a while'' we really don't have to wait. We already know who's behind it. It only stands to reason that we quit standing around waiting to be a target and take the offense. What we do towards that goal is less important than right or wrong, we must do something.
If I might use a football analogy, we start the game, then make adjustments as the game progress. But you can never win the game if you don't let your offense take the field.
"Look, Bill, I'm not a bigot. You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

Even Juan Williams lets his survival instinct kick in from time to time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.