2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016...rump-is-sports-car-rest-are-school-buses.html
These articles trying to explain Trump pop up every few days, but I agree with this one mostly.
There is a lot of truth in it, but he ignores the fact that Trump's political ambitions, launching a bid in 2000, for example, were well known. If they were surprised, then they have only their own IQs to blame. I tend to think the aftermath of the 2008 crash and the slow recovery had created the well of discontent he mined. I think that was the establishment's real surprise - they were largely insulated from it and they never imagined its depth nor Trump's appeal to that segment. I do think he's dead on about his fans alibiing that they're supporting an autocrat who wants to do things he can only do as a dictator by labeling him "outsider" instead. I also think that "take everything he says with a grain of salt" is correct. The attitude that we need to elect him just to shake things up and see what he'll do appalls me. This is not entertainment TV. It's the future of the country that people seem willing to gamble on...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

There is a lot of truth in it, but he ignores the fact that Trump's political ambitions, launching a bid in 2000, for example, were well known. If they were surprised, then they have only their own IQs to blame. I tend to think the aftermath of the 2008 crash and the slow recovery had created the well of discontent he mined. I think that was the establishment's real surprise - they were largely insulated from it and they never imagined its depth nor Trump's appeal to that segment. I do think he's dead on about his fans alibiing that they're supporting an autocrat who wants to do things he can only do as a dictator by labeling him "outsider" instead. I also think that "take everything he says with a grain of salt" is correct. The attitude that we need to elect him just to shake things up and see what he'll do appalls me. This is not entertainment TV. It's the future of the country that people seem willing to gamble on...
i agree 100%.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I just think its not some random accident, or that he stumbled into the nomination. The man is an actor, a good one. I disagree with him most of the time, but I think he is smarter than people give him credit for.
I have to agree with 92. I don't consider him "smart" in the absolute sense. Con men are instead "shrewd." They are psychopaths (yes, he's worse than most) who are continually searching for weaknesses in their intended victim. If you don't believe me, read his book. IOW, they are full-timers in thinking about things like this, whereas the rest of us are part-timers, at the most. It's no accident that he's a Putin admirer. However, his "fans" will overlook anything, in order to put in someone who will shake things up. It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for." There are a large number of Russians with buyer's regret and they're accustomed to autocratic rule...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I have to agree with 92. I don't consider him "smart" in the absolute sense. Con men are instead "shrewd." They are psychopaths (yes, he's worse than most) who are continually searching for weaknesses in their intended victim. If you don't believe me, read his book. IOW, they are full-timers in thinking about things like this, whereas the rest of us are part-timers, at the most. It's no accident that he's a Putin admirer. However, his "fans" will overlook anything, in order to put in someone who will shake things up. It's a classic case of "be careful what you wish for." There are a large number of Russians with buyer's regret and they're accustomed to autocratic rule...
here is one of his smart ideas link

One day after assuring Americans he is not running for president “to make things unstable for the country,” the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald J. Trump, said in a television interview Thursday that he might seek to reduce the national debt by persuading creditors to accept something less than full payment.

Asked whether the United States needed to pay its debts in full, or whether he could negotiate a partial repayment, Mr. Trump told the cable network CNBC, “I would borrow, knowing that if the economy crashed, you could make a deal.”

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

It always comes back to making a deal.

If somehow this buffoon does get elected, Congress better be on its collective toes more than ever before.

Their recent performance gives me great hope that they will be.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

It always comes back to making a deal.

If somehow this buffoon does get elected, Congress better be on its collective toes more than ever before.

Their recent performance gives me great hope that they will be.
i guess it is possible that he could completely come apart at the seams before the convention

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

I also think that "take everything he says with a grain of salt" is correct. The attitude that we need to elect him just to shake things up and see what he'll do appalls me. This is not entertainment TV. It's the future of the country that people seem willing to gamble on...
So your not feeling the "Trump '16 So Crazy, it just might work" campaign slogan :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

here is one of his smart ideas link
OMG! Some harebrained idea like this is exactly what I feared from him and his "advisors." He doesn't understand that the dollar would be abandoned as a reserve currency and shrink to a fraction of its value. Our borrowing costs would skyrocket and that's just the start. He doesn't have anyone around him who understands macro economics either, apparently...

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009

The attitude that we need to elect him just to shake things up and see what he'll do appalls me
. This is not entertainment TV. It's the future of the country that people seem willing to gamble on...
Did the same thing not happen with the past president?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

That's what lots of folks have hoped would happen since he started his campaign.
with his thin skin, i don't think its necessarily a long-shot bet. we are about to see several months of lots of people trolling the crap out of trump daily. he's like a spoiled 12 year old. he can't let even minor insults go un-anwered. that has to take a toll.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

OMG! Some harebrained idea like this is exactly what I feared from him and his "advisors." He doesn't understand that the dollar would be abandoned as a reserve currency and shrink to a fraction of its value. Our borrowing costs would skyrocket and that's just the start. He doesn't have anyone around him who understands macro economics either, apparently...
imho, he is talk radio/wwf personified. all bluster, no depth.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Did the same thing not happen with the past president?
not really. it was almost the opposite. at the median, the choice was obama/biden or mccain/palin. especially after the addition of palin, i know quite a few people who made that choice. this election is that plus some.

Last edited:

bamarebel

Scout Team
Feb 5, 2009

not really. it was almost the opposite. at the median, the choice was obama/biden or mccain/palin. especially after the addition of palin, i know quite a few people who made that choice. this election is that plus some.
Cash for clunkers and the shame of the healthcare seem a lot like trying something and seeing if it sticks with absolute 0 foresight

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

with his thin skin, i don't think its necessarily a long-shot bet. we are about to see several months of lots of people trolling the crap out of trump daily. he's like a spoiled 12 year old. he can't let even minor insults go un-anwered. that has to take a toll.
I bet he and Kim Jung Un would get along famously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.