2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Then his cabinet invokes the 25th amendment.

That will be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting scenario.BTW, there are some in the mental health field who have seriously put forth the hypothesis as a explanation for some of his otherwise inexplicable behavior...

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al

I can't comprehend anyone being so stupid as to mock someone with disabilities while running for public office. This is two of the worse candidates in the history of this nation. Will not vote for hilly but man can't see myself voting for trump acting like that. This Country is screwed either way I guess.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

My guess would be the electors would vote the VP as president and then whoever the candidate wanted for the VP spot.
I would think that the state party organizations (probably with a lot of guidance from the national party) would declare something like that. "If [the dead person] wins the state, [that dead person]'s electors will vote for [the dead person]'s VP candidate for president and that president, once in office, will nominate a new VP."

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

I can't comprehend anyone being so stupid as to mock someone with disabilities while running for public office. This is two of the worse candidates in the history of this nation. Will not vote for hilly but man can't see myself voting for trump acting like that. This Country is screwed either way I guess.
Many people look the same way at our choices this election, but I feel that describing the two candidates as equally bad options is a bit lazy and dishonest this year. It would be fine if the GOP had nominated a normal candidate, but Trump is distinctly and dangerously abnormal.

You may not like Clinton and you may not vote for Clinton. But in no universe is she as bad an option for president as Trump.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Many people look the same way at our choices this election, but I feel that describing the two candidates as equally bad options is a bit lazy and dishonest this year. It would be fine if the GOP had nominated a normal candidate, but Trump is distinctly and dangerously abnormal.

You may not like Clinton and you may not vote for Clinton. But in no universe is she as bad an option for president as Trump.
Two things can still be bad while one thing is worse than the other.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

My guess would be the electors would vote the VP as president and then whoever the candidate wanted for the VP spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The VP pick would get dicey. Might be better in such an occurrence to have the new president nominate a VP once sworn into office. In the last season of The West Wing, Leo McGarry, the VP nominee, died on Election Night.

tidegrandpa

All-American

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

I don't think she had to do that--or could do it. But I do think she needed to make some effort at recognizing the challenges before the country. That, she didn't even try to do. There are times when a stump speech, filled with cliches, rhetoric, and little substance, will work. Last night wasn't one of those times.

I wonder if you give her audience too much credit...waaaay to much...?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Mrs. Tidewater asked a question last night that got me a-pondering.
What happens if a presidential candidate suddenly passes on the week before the presidential election, dies unexpectedly, for example, of a stroke or a heart attack?
I asked this question in 2008 (on another now defunct board) and folks had a HISSY fit.....yet I was primarily asking because McCain was 72 years old and had picked Palin, had nothing to do with Obama at all.

I'm GUESSING that the VP becomes President if he wins.

A few years back, Mel Carnahan (D, Mo.) died in a tragic plane crash a week before an election for Senator from Missouri. The Governor, also a Democrat, told people, if Mel won the election, he would name his wife to take his place in the Senate, so a man everyone knew was dead won the election.
OK, my Dad is from Mizzou so I do have some familiarity with that situation. Carnahan died on October 16. The rules in Missouri stated that you cannot change the ballot less than 30 days before an election. The Democrats all got together and figured they had one shot at beating Ashcroft.......sympathy vote, so they grabbed Carnahan's widow and while Ashcroft couldn't say anything, the Democrats buried him campaigning against him while he was morose.

I would also point out - though you already know this better than I - that that election of Carnahan was AGAINST the Constitution, that very explicitly states one must INHABIT the state where he or she is elected. Ashcroft could probably have had it overturned if he had wanted to do so (we won't even delve into the Democratic judge who kept the polling places open four extra hours in St Louis). I knew a guy who knew Ashcroft and asked him - after he'd lost but before he was named AG - why Ashcroft didn't contest it. He said that Ashcroft's response (and the GOP wanted him to because the Senate was at 50-50) was to say, "The people spoke." I thought that was pretty cool.

In the Presidential race, nobody votes for president. You vote for your state's electors for that presidential candidate, and, in my hypothetical case, the electors are not dead, just the candidate they were going to vote for.
So, what happens Trump or H (God forbid) passes on the week before the election?
If I'm not mistaken, each party has their own electors. In other words, they have folks who are predetermined to vote the way their state determines. Of course, we get faithless electors all the time, but normally they do what is expected.

My guess is that like the Crimson Tide it's a case of 'next person up.' If one or the other dies, the one behind them is the one elected.

Btw - the reason almost nobody thinks of that is because:

a) the last President to die in office was Kennedy in 1963; a person has to be about 61 years old to have a vague recollection of what it's like to have the President suddenly gone and about 67 or older to REALLY remember it - older than that to have minimal comprehension.

b) the last President to leave office before his term was up was Nixon in 1974. I was four years old and have no recollection AT ALL about that (I DO remember seeing what were the Watergate hearings and my Mom getting upset her soaps weren't on). So one has to be about 56 years old to have a VAGUE recollection and even older to 'really remember' what it's like to have that sudden and shocking change.

Nobody takes the VP choice seriously because they've never seen it really matter. The last real close call I remember is when President Bush (Dad) had some trouble jogging in 1991 (and later threw up on the Japanese PM's lap).....and we had to contemplate the idea of President Quayle.

Proof it doesn't matter? By 4-1, folks said Bentsen beat Quayle in the debate. Nearly 70% of folks said Quayle was not qualified to hold office.

Quayle got elected on the ticket with Bush in a landslide - because not enough people considered seriously the idea that Quayle might become President.

then, there's Senator Wellstone, and I have to say the Republicans learned their lessons well from 2000. That time, they not only killed the Senator but to prevent that wife thing from happening like in Missouri, they killed her, too. Yes, folks, I'm being black helicopter/tin foil hat here.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

After slandering McCain's service a few months ago, Trump has now decided to insult the Muslim parents of a soldier who died heroically in Iraq.

Sigh. Is this really someone with a temperament suitable to be president?

In his first response to a searing charge from bereaved Army father Khizr Khan that he’d “sacrificed nothing” for his country, Donald Trump claimed that he had in fact sacrificed by employing “thousands and thousands of people.” He also suggested that Khan’s wife didn’t speak because she was forbidden to as a Muslim and questioned whether Khan’s words were his own.
Link.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

After slandering McCain's service a few months ago, Trump has now decided to insult the Muslim parents of a soldier who died heroically in Iraq.

Link.
Once again, you employ a favorite leftist tactic by twisting the whole thing around and trying to put Trump at fault.
It was the fallen soldier's father who first said that Trump had sacrificed nothing. In his own self-defense, Trump then asserted he had indeed sacrificed via the many folks he had employed in his businesses.
Because he was initially attacked by the fallen soldier's father, he then made a statement of why the mother didn't comment on it. Maybe it was because Muslim women aren't allowed to speak unless directed to by their husbands. That is true, is it not? (Are they not faced with that customary restriction?)
Where I come from, asserting one's opinion based on a statement of fact is in no way insulting to anyone. It is merely a hypothesis. Let's focus on that hypothesis for a moment, shall we?
Let's say that one day you and I are traveling together in a vehicle through an area widelyl-known as a speed trap and we see that another driver, who happens to be in a bright red Corvette, has been pulled over by a policeman. I say to you "Maybe that guy should have known better than to drive that Corvette through here''.
I didn't insult the driver nor the vehicle. All I did was opine as the possible reason as to why he was pulled over.
Nor did Trump insult the fallen soldier's parents. He just made an assumption based on the facts as he knew them.

Do yourself a favor. The next time you decide a build a mountain out of a mole hill, make sure you're using real dirt, not muddy water, ok?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Once again, you employ a favorite leftist tactic by twisting the whole thing around and trying to put Trump at fault.
It was the fallen soldier's father who first said that Trump had sacrificed nothing. In his own self-defense, Trump then asserted he had indeed sacrificed via the many folks he had employed in his businesses.
Because he was initially attacked by the fallen soldier's father, he then made a statement of why the mother didn't comment on it. Maybe it was because Muslim women aren't allowed to speak unless directed to by their husbands. That is true, is it not? (Are they not faced with that customary restriction?)
Where I come from, asserting one's opinion based on a statement of fact is in no way insulting to anyone. It is merely a hypothesis. Let's focus on that hypothesis for a moment, shall we?
Let's say that one day you and I are traveling together in a vehicle through an area widelyl-known as a speed trap and we see that another driver, who happens to be in a bright red Corvette, has been pulled over by a policeman. I say to you "Maybe that guy should have known better than to drive that Corvette through here''.
I didn't insult the driver nor the vehicle. All I did was opine as the possible reason as to why he was pulled over.
Nor did Trump insult the fallen soldier's parents. He just made an assumption based on the facts as he knew them.

Do yourself a favor. The next time you decide a build a mountain out of a mole hill, make sure you're using real dirt, not muddy water, ok?
I wasn't sure how Trumpets would twist themselves into pretzels, but I knew they would to defend him.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Link.
Would you rather the liar, cheat, crooked Benghazi botcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.