2016 Election - Trump: How Did Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Can Trump Really Win the Presidency?

Btw - not a Cruz supporter by any stretch but just an observation: Cruz as the nominee probably loses to Hill-billy.......but he also hurts the party LESS down the line in the House and Senate races. This is why I think you're going to see an attempt to derail 'the Don.' Here's something y'all gotta remember - even though they parrot the same lines from the same playbook about whoever is on 'their' side, the simple truth is that every single Congresscritter out there really only gives a damn about ONE person's election - his/her own. In fact, I'll guarantee you that just like happens every election there are some 'next Ronald Reagan wannabes' that deep down HOPE Hillary wins because they wish to run in 2020. Of course, none of these punks can come out and actually SAY this (just as Bill Clinton never said he hoped Kerry lost in 04 or Obama in 08 - even though no doubt he did).

Here's the thing: Trump's negatives are higher than any candidate in history. You cannot drive your own negatives down (as the late Lee Atwater noted in 1988) - his ONLY chance of winning is to make folks hate Hillary even worse. The problem with that strategy is that (unlike Dukakis) Hillary has been on the public stage now since I was in college. She's a known quantity - liberal, lying, devious, vindictive, and someone who wouldn't even stand up to her own husband (so why in God's name does ANYONE think she'll stand up to Putin or anyone else?). Problem is - every single person out there has already figured this into the equation. You're not going to make the woman any more hated than she is now.

In other words, Trump cannot rely upon the Bush 1988 strategy of torpedoing her reputation because it can't get any lower - and even then it's not as low as his.

I'm not sure I know what the answer is - but I do know it isn't Trump.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Btw - not a Cruz supporter by any stretch but just an observation: Cruz as the nominee probably loses to Hill-billy.......but he also hurts the party LESS down the line in the House and Senate races......

I'm not sure I know what the answer is - but I do know it isn't Trump.
If it isn't Trump, then I'm afraid it's going to be Hillary. I don't think this country can withstand another Clinton administration. No way will she help rebuild our military. In fact, I'm sure she'll weaken it further.

She is bound and determined to eliminate the 2nd Amendment and disarm otherwise law abiding citizens. She'll be in for a fight there, and the fight Congress will give her will be a pillow fight compared to what she'll get from an armed American private sector.

She'll commit further treason in her attempt to rob the US coffers so that she and her husband can enjoy their retirement to the fullest, and the FBI, IRS and other gov't entities will sit blindly to the side and watch it happen. If it means running this country further into debt, she could care less.

In short, if Hillary is elected, America is screwed.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

If it isn't Trump, then I'm afraid it's going to be Hillary. I don't think this country can withstand another Clinton administration. No way will she help rebuild our military. In fact, I'm sure she'll weaken it further.

She is bound and determined to eliminate the 2nd Amendment and disarm otherwise law abiding citizens. She'll be in for a fight there, and the fight Congress will give her will be a pillow fight compared to what she'll get from an armed American private sector.

She'll commit further treason in her attempt to rob the US coffers so that she and her husband can enjoy their retirement to the fullest, and the FBI, IRS and other gov't entities will sit blindly to the side and watch it happen. If it means running this country further into debt, she could care less.

In short, if Hillary is elected, America is screwed.
we have by far the most powerful millitary in the world by any variable you may chose to measure. What exact needs rebuilding?

https://www.military1.com/navy/arti...itary-compared-with-the-next-strongest-power/

Consider: The U.S. spends close to what the entire rest of the world spends in defense. $711 billion. Per year. The next closest is China at $143 billion.

The M1 Abrams tank has seen more combat than just about any other tank on the battlefield today. It has never been knocked out by enemy fire. (Completely killed). Ever.

China has less than 500 Type 99 tanks, that have just been developed, and are not even close to being as good as the Abrams. We have 8,700 Abrams.

We have 10 aircraft carriers. The good kind. Everyone else has 10. Combined. And they are mostly small ships that can launch helicopters.

There are 8,400 attack helicopters in the world. The U.S. has 6,400 of them.

The United States has engaged in every type of ground warfare in the last 20 years. From mountains to jungles, and from desert to urban, we have the some of the most experienced warriors in the world. No other country comes close to the amount of combat veterans that we have.

We own all the satellites that guide GPS systems. We have all the advanced stealth technology. The latest sensors? U.S. The latest information systems? U.S. An Abrams tank can see a target, the tank commander can instantly send that target to every tank in his company.

Now you have 14 tanks looking for you. Oh, and it also uploads to every Apache helicopter in the area. Every indirect and direct fire system in the area knows what you are and where you are. Your survivability just dropped to 0. Instantly.

Fighting a conventional war against the U.S. would be like a 3-year-old child playing chess against Gary Kasparov. They wouldn't even know what they were supposed to be looking at.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

My problem with Cruz is his willingness to slander fellow Republicans and play up procedural trickery as standing for true conservative principles. I think he spent his time in the Senate playing on the understandable ignorance of average Americans about how Congress works to present himself as the only true conservative and everyone else as weak-spined members of the establishment. And I think it is hilarious that he now has to rely on the establishment for support and employ establishment tactics, like manipulating delegate rules, to even have a chance at this. I think Ted Cruz and the "pure conservative" movement have essentially gutted the Republican Party and left us where we can't accomplish anything. So this election, in my view, is exactly what we need. Burn it down and rebuild it, and if Trump wins, all the better.
Agree. One annoying thing about Cruz is out of one side of his mouth he says he doesn't care what Donald Trump says. Thirty seconds later he's obsessing over All Things Trump. He is clearly in Desperation Mode. If he had stayed on message he'd garner more respect but instead his antics are seen as childish and it's a little understandable why he is so universally disliked.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

Republican Party will need to find a new identity. First the Tea Party, then the Donald. Neocons have already abandoned them for the Democratic Party. If they don't find something to be relevant again, they will go the way of the Federalists. Not bad company, in my opinion.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

Neoconservatism is a cancer. If this is what it took to excise them, so be it.
Globalization project is coming to an end. EU is disintegrating. Central banking has run its course. So how do you make amends with the Russians and the Chinese without losing face? I don't think Hilary nor Donald have the answer.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

To address the original question, I dont know if he can win the presidency or not, a lot can happen in the next 6 months as the campaign switches to the general election mode, but it should be very clear all by now that he will be the R nominee.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

looks like newt is angling to get a shot at the vp.

that should really add some pizzazz to the ticket
LOL, if he does that then I will buy the notion that Trump is fixing this for Hillary. I've agreed it's plausible this whole time, but that would make me believe it wholeheartedly.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

To address the original question, I dont know if he can win the presidency or not, a lot can happen in the next 6 months as the campaign switches to the general election mode, but it should be very clear all by now that he will be the R nominee.

I agree with your assessment, Bamaro.....he's on his way to be the Republican nominee.

I think the only way he loses in the general would be from losing too much of the female vote, given the gender comments that have taken place and all of the future narrative in that direction that "will happen" in the general.

Hell hath no fury......

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I agree with your assessment, Bamaro.....he's on his way to be the Republican nominee.

I think the only way he loses in the general would be from losing too much of the female vote, given the gender comments that have taken place and all of the future narrative in that direction that "will happen" in the general.

Hell hath no fury......
i also think there will be large numbers of hispanic and black voters that show up to the polls specifically to vote against him

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I thought the Hispanics would be on his side due to the economy. The black vote always defaults to the Dems.
im guessing he will get a smaller percentage of the hispanic vote than any republican in recent history. and, aside from bush in 2004, republicans haven't fared that well with hispanic voters.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

im guessing he will get a smaller percentage of the hispanic vote than any republican in recent history. and, aside from bush in 2004, republicans haven't fared that well with hispanic voters.
I still trying to wrap my mind around the cognitive dissonance that sees any Republican suggesting immigration reform as a racist but gives a free pass to the guy who deported more than anyone else.

Again - I don't get this. One is words another is actions.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I still trying to wrap my mind around the cognitive dissonance that sees any Republican suggesting immigration reform as a racist but gives a free pass to the guy who deported more than anyone else.

you mean the guy who is letting our country be over-run with "them"?

maybe it has to do with calling mexicans rapists and murderers. insinuating that hispanics are streaming over the border to take away stuff from real americans.

or maybe, the whole world is just tilted against republicans

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

It just means they are choosing the lesser of two evils too

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I thought the Hispanics would be on his side due to the economy. The black vote always defaults to the Dems.
Then I begin to understand where you're coming from. He has about the same impact on Hispanics as a politician would on Southerners by proclaiming them rapist and criminals. It's hard to believe neither he nor his advisors understand that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.